The Apache....
Sep 6, 2007 at 6:28 PM Post #481 of 511
Mine arrived today. It is too soon to make absolute judgements but so far I like what I am hearing. It is also smaller than I expected which is a bonus as rack space is at a premium at the moment.
HiRes a click away:

Sep 6, 2007 at 7:40 PM Post #482 of 511
that's a really nice pic. you have a nice touch with the camera. paired with the L3000, the Apache just looks that much classier. and it is small. i remember measuring it when the dimensions were posted and thinking that it couldn't be right. but it is. big sound in a small package.
smily_headphones1.gif

what cable is that. is it from alex.

Sep 6, 2007 at 9:18 PM Post #483 of 511
Quote:

Originally Posted by vcoheda /img/forum/go_quote.gif
that's a really nice pic. you have a nice touch with the camera. paired with the L3000, the Apache just looks that much classier. and it is small. i remember measuring it when the dimensions were posted and thinking that it couldn't be right. but it is. big sound in a small package.
smily_headphones1.gif

what cable is that. is it from alex.

It is indeed an APS re-cable. I am on CD no 4 and so far the Apache has not put a foot wrong. Tomorrow I will give the HD650s a go and try out some Symphonies and see how that fares.

Sep 7, 2007 at 1:10 AM Post #485 of 511
If you haven't tried the Apache as a preamp, you don't know what you're missing. I currently have it connected to my AES-25 Signature which powers a pair of Legacy Studios and I can say I have not heard the G08, amp and speakers sound this good. I had the Stealth connected, which is no slouch but the solid state Apache with the AES-25 is a great match.

IMG_0560.JPG

No it is not powering the DSP5200 as they only need the G08 as the source.

Sep 7, 2007 at 4:00 AM Post #486 of 511
I bought my Apache for use primarily as a preamp to control nearfield monitors. That world-class headphone amp was a bonus.
600smile.gif

I'm still putting the Apache through its paces and will judge it on the basis of 80% preamp & 20% headphone amp. So far, the Apache sounds warm with great detail in addition to creating a large sonic image. Hearing this preamp through a pair of Spendors is as musical as I have heard in my system.

And this is wholly attributed to the Apache because I just had to A-B test the Apache versus a Krell KRC-3. So I swapped the amps back and forth - I run everything balanced so all I had to do was switch XLR source inputs and XLR outputs to the power amp - easy and quick to do but not DBT (so sue me
biggrin.gif
). The Apache is no slouch as a preamp and its soundstage is much more expansive than the Krell. There are some things the Krell does well and there are some things the Apache does well but ultimately the musicality of the Apache was very addicting.

I'll stop here as I didn't mean to write a review, but I just wanted to cover the preamp side of things for the speaker fans too. Ray is the man!

Sep 8, 2007 at 5:47 AM Post #487 of 511
tried balanced for the first time today. my cables still are not fully burned in (not even close really) but curiosity got the better of me. i tried the HD650 with zu mobius first. wow! the bass on the HD650 really is the some of the deepest i have ever heard. there was so much weight and texture to the music with no trace of the famous sennheiser veil. they are still laid back and a bit mellow, but the music - if well recorded of course - is clear as day. the senns won't show themselves until they have some real power behind them, but once they do, they are quite remarkable. next i tried my K701 with black dragon. another great listening experience. a bit brighter than the HD650 - nothing irritating though - but this adds a nice brilliance to the highs. the scaling is not on par with the HD650 nor does it have that full bodied feel to it; but the music is crystal clear, the detail is better, and the bass is tight and focused. it sounds just like the near perfectly balanced headphone that it is. on both headphones i used the medium gain with the volume between 9-11. i have no problem finding a comfortable sound level so low did not seem necessary.

a quibble or two. one is that i wish the balanced outputs had locking mechanisms on them. when i plug in my HD650 or K701, it doesn't feel that secure, as though if i accidentally tugged on it the connectors would come out and i feel that they would (or may). i haven't tried it. another thing that happened today is that when i was switching between balanced and SE inputs, the light stayed lit on both. when i pressed either one, nothing happened. they both stayed lit. i had to press a third input to clear things up. not sure why this happened or if it means anything. other than that, things with the Apache are going well and i have been very impressed with the sound - both SE and balanced.

another thing worth mentioning is really how quickly ray got all of these amps out. i know that i whined and complained about as much as anyone with regard to the wait, but really it was not that long and when compared to some other manufacturers, the turn around - especially when one considers how much work goes into making one of these and how many he produced - was quite fast. plus i have looked over the amp top to bottom and back to front very carefully and the workmanship is just impeccable. it is such a nice looking amp. really closer to art than audio.

Sep 8, 2007 at 7:07 PM Post #488 of 511
Quote:

Originally Posted by vcoheda /img/forum/go_quote.gif

a quibble or two. one is that i wish the balanced outputs had locking mechanisms on them. when i plug in my HD650 or K701, it doesn't feel that secure, as though if i accidentally tugged on it the connectors would come out and i feel that they would (or may). i haven't tried it. another thing that happened today is that when i was switching between balanced and SE inputs, the light stayed lit on both. when i pressed either one, nothing happened. they both stayed lit. i had to press a third input to clear things up. not sure why this happened or if it means anything. other than that, things with the Apache are going well and i have been very impressed with the sound - both SE and balanced.

I originally thought that too, but the more I thought about it, I think not having the lock protects both Headphones and Apache. Just think what could happen if you inadventantly strayed to far with you headphones on.
very_evil_smiley.gif
I would hope the connectors would pull out of the Apache rather than either dragging the Apache with me or headphones being pulled off my head.

My balance cables won't be in until the 14th so I am confined to single ended until then. My Tuneblock XT with the SE bearing upgrade should be here by today and I put them under the power supply. Austin suggested this as the starting point but suggested to try them under the G08 as well.

IMG_0566.JPG

. It turns out I am the first customer with the SE upgrade. They also customized the tuneblock for the larger SE bearing.

Sep 13, 2007 at 6:19 AM Post #489 of 511
Quote:

Originally Posted by Audio Addict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My Tuneblock XT with the SE bearing upgrade should be here by today and I put them under the power supply. Austin suggested this as the starting point but suggested to try them under the G08 as well.

let us know the results. i am particularly interested in how they affect the G08 as well, since i have the same player.

they look pretty cool.

Sep 14, 2007 at 4:21 AM Post #490 of 511
These are some remarks (a review) on my new Apache I made on audiogon:

Maybe Ray should have called it the Can Opener.
It creates a vividly open sound area with whatever cans
I try it with (Senn 650s, AKG 701s, Grado GS1000s).
In short, the sound is un-headphone-like. (Uncanny?)
The Apache produces a very compelling listening experience that I have never had
with headphones before.
Tonality is excellent, striking a perfect balance between detail and smoothness.
It rivals what I have heard in
audio shows and dealerships with some extreme high-end speakers.
(The Apache also functions as a Preamp. I have not used it in this mode.)

All of my listening is from my McIntosh C46 preamp into the Apache.
I have a CD-only system. My previous headphone amplifier was a 1999 Headroom
Max (updated with a newer reference module in 2004). I still have the Max.

I have had the Apache for only a week, so I may be
updating this. Consider these initial impressions.

The sound is quite speaker-like, especially with the Grados.
The Grados are natively tipped up and bright, so I use the
tone controls on the McIntosh preamp (which has an 8-band equalizer)
to roll-off the highs somewhat.
With the AKGs or Sennheisers, no equalization is necessary.

(I like using the McIntosh preamp to feed my headphone amp becuase
I sit some distance away from my system and use the McIntosh
remote to adjust the volume. Actually, I wish headphone amps had a
remote volume control. I also appreciate the Mac's tone controls--blasphemy I know...)

Listening to the Capitol Beatles CD set, other classic rock or popular music
(which is what I mainly listen to on headphones), with the Apache
I feel like I am in the studio, with the voices and instruments spread out,
fleshed out and distinct in a 3-dimensional space much larger than I have
ever heard with headphones.
The musical components, if not life-size, are far from the miniaturized images
that, to my ears, are common with headphones. The Apache somehow creates some
sort of ether-field with honest-to-goodness 3D images, each with its own
size and shape. This effect is more prominent with the Grados,
but still quite evident with the other phones. The Senn 650s seem
especially helped by the Apache--really coming out of their shell.
The vauge claustrophopic or compressed feeling I always had with the
650s (and predecessors) has just about disappeared.

The images have real body and density but are not heavy or hard-edged or super-pinpointed.
They blend just enough into the recording venue to sound naturally placed.
And, thankfully, nothing shouts or sounds pushy.

In comparison with my Headroom Max
everything sounds de-congested. Many of these old CDs of 60's and 70's
recordings sound raspy and rough through the Max.
Somehow, the Apache separates all
the pieces and smooths out the rough edges just enough to produce a natural sound.
The spatial cues are there but the harsh abrasion is gone.
The sound is still vivid but no longer annoying.
I really feel as if I am among the performers.

The vocals are liquid and rounded and have just enough grit to sound
genuine without being mechanical,
grainy or telephone-like. I have always felt that vocals were always
the ultimate truth-test for a system. Sometimes even when instruments
sound fine, a vocal comes along and sounds artificial, raspy, buzzy, and
nothing like a real voice. With the Apache, I can listen deep into a voice,
and I hear a continuous, smooth sound that is just extremely satisfying.

Percussion is precise and fast without being assaultive. Wind instruments
are airy and have just the right density. (I think the famous flute solo on
California Dreamin' is as pure as I have ever heard it.) Strings are silky
and never scream or make me wince.

The Apache's bass is a real joy. It is "just-there," with no subwoofery/boombox
feel. I love the way the bass is attached to the the object creating it,
rather than just part of a pervasive
bass-fog. I am reminded of the bass from well-set-up Wilson speakers.

At first I thought the highs were more spotlighted than with the Headroom Max,
but then I realized I lately had been using the Max's high-frequency filter (a useful
feature by the way), and concluded that, In A-B'ing the two amps, that
the Apache is no more aggressive or less warm than the Max with its filter off.

To sum up, I think that
the great thing about the Apache is that it is revealing, but not ruthlessly revealing.
Details are well evident, but just recessed enough to produce an inviting, relaxing sound
that is still live and involving, along with a wonderfully plausible sense of space.

Associated equipment:
EMM DCC2 SE DAC and CDSD SE Transport,
McIntosh C46 Preamp,
Stealth Indra RCA IC from DAC to Preamp,
Kubala-Sosna Balanced IC from Preamp to Apache,
Shunyata Anaconda Power Cables on all components except Apache,
Kimber PK-10 Palladium Power Cable on Apache,
All equipment plugged into Shunyata Hydra 8.
Headphones: Grado RS1000s with Moon Audio Black Dragon cable (single ended).
Sennheiser 650s with Zu Mobius (single ended).
AKG K701 with Moon Audio Black Dragon balanced.

Sep 14, 2007 at 4:47 AM Post #491 of 511
awesome impressions. and that is some system you have there.

i have experienced pretty much the same thing - a great sense of space with clear instrument/voice separation, no congestion to the music, really good bass (you can almost feel it with the right headphone), and a perfect vehicle for the stubborn HD650.

this thread doesn't much traffic, as it is in a specialized section of the website. could you add these comments (just cut and paste) and future ones to this Apache impressions thread. it is in a more general part of the forum.

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/showth...ghlight=Apache

thanks,

- vcoheda

P.S. welcome to head-fi
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 6, 2007 at 2:21 PM Post #492 of 511
Hi friends...
We are almost ready to ship the next batch of the Apache's, the last batch has the new op-amp made by National Semi Conductor, it is a great sounding op-amp if tweaked in a circuit properly. This 3rd shipment has been tweaked with this op-amp in it.
I am offerring this op-amp + the mod in the amp section, only, free of charge parts & labor, to the FIRST 20 Apache's shipped, you pay only for shipping, this mod is great because it also brings warmth to the phones that needs it like the 701, the DT880 & others + Qualia.
Also it will be the time to replace the top plates for those ten clear Apache's that had some kind of micro spotting in the aluminum.

If you are happy with the sound that you have & don't want to send you Apache amp section, that is fine. As I said the mod will bring some warmth to your amp & you won't loose the dedtail at all.

Please call me to arrange the proper time to send you amp so it will be done on time & shipped back to you the same day recieved, I will not be breaking in the new parts, you will be needing 5-7 days for the parts to selltle & sound great.

Thanks.
Ray Samuels

Oct 6, 2007 at 6:03 PM Post #493 of 511
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ray Samuels /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi friends...
I am offerring this op-amp + the mod in the amp section, only, free of charge parts & labor, to the FIRST 20 Apache's shipped, you pay only for shipping, this mod is great because it also brings warmth to the phones that needs it like the 701, the DT880 & others + Qualia.

Please call me to arrange the proper time to send you amp so it will be done on time & shipped back to you the same day recieved, I will not be breaking in the new parts, you will be needing 5-7 days for the parts to selltle & sound great.

Thanks.
Ray Samuels

Ray,

Is there any change in the AD797 or LT1028 sound if you had the mod done for the new chip?

Oct 7, 2007 at 1:32 AM Post #494 of 511
Quote:

Originally Posted by Audio Addict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ray,

Is there any change in the AD797 or LT1028 sound if you had the mod done for the new chip?

Good question... what if I end up preferring the original op amps?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back