The Apache....
Aug 31, 2007 at 12:06 PM Post #466 of 511
FedEx does deliver on Saturdays so there's a good chance you fellas will be enjoying some nice music this weekend.
biggrin.gif

Aug 31, 2007 at 10:52 PM Post #467 of 511
Quote:

Originally Posted by Audio Addict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I went with the upgraded tungsten bearing. I only ordered one set and will use it instead of the spikes. Austin suggested the power supply, which suprised me vs. the preamp section.

When I ordered today I actually upgraded further to the larger SE cyro bearing. Can't wait to get them in.

Austin was pretty cool as has a pair of the Ultrasound Edition 9s on order and evaluates their products through headphones.

Aug 31, 2007 at 10:56 PM Post #468 of 511
Quote:

Originally Posted by nfusion770 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just a little FYI for you guys awaiting shipment- mine (first shipment) arrived a day quicker than I anticipated
biggrin.gif
. Of course IL and MN are pretty close, but I hope you guys get the opportunity to enjoy the Apache over the long weekend.

I am only 130 miles from Ray and it didn't make it today. It will be a long weekend waiting.
frown.gif

Sep 1, 2007 at 2:29 AM Post #469 of 511
Quote:

When I ordered today I actually upgraded further to the larger SE cyro bearing. Can't wait to get them in.

not cheap. but the apache is worth it. let us know how they sound compared to the spikes.

post 3000.

damn! i need to get out more. but with my apache on the way, i suspect it will the reverse. oh well.
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 1, 2007 at 2:48 AM Post #470 of 511
Quote:

Originally Posted by vcoheda /img/forum/go_quote.gif

post 3000.

damn! i need to get out more. but with my apache on the way, i suspect it will the reverse. oh well.
smily_headphones1.gif

This is my 700th post and it only took 6 years to make it.
wink.gif

Sep 1, 2007 at 2:53 AM Post #471 of 511
Quote:

This is my 700th post and it only took 6 years to make it.
wink.gif

you obviously must do things, other than browsing head-fi. i can't imagine it.
blink.gif
tongue.gif

Sep 1, 2007 at 3:05 AM Post #472 of 511
Quote:

you obviously must do things, other than browsing head-fi. i can't imagine it.
blink.gif
tongue.gif

Since ordering the Apache, I am not sure as I want to be sure to get everything right. First the balance interconnects from the Meridian G08 to the Apache (new Grover S - delivered); second, new HD600 balance cable (4 meter RAL - ordered); third vibration control (Tuneblock XT with SE tungsten bearing - ordered), finally wallet totally blown.
smily_headphones1.gif
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 1, 2007 at 5:52 PM Post #473 of 511
very interested in an RAL cable. they have been getting great reviews around here. thinking about springing for one myself. shouldn't be too much longer before our Apaches arrive and we can enjoy our new toys.
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 2, 2007 at 3:59 PM Post #474 of 511
Quote:

very interested in an RAL cable. they have been getting great reviews around here. thinking about springing for one myself. shouldn't be too much longer before our Apaches arrive and we can enjoy our new toys.
smily_headphones1.gif

Brad is very easy to discuss your needs and assist wherever possible. I actually purchased a balance used Cardas as well from AudiogoN and when I was cleanng it, split one of the earpiece pins' housing. I talked to Brad and shipped the Cardas down to him. He is replacing both left and right pins, treating the connections as he does his own cables, will deep freeze it and then burn it back in on his Audiodharma cable cooker.

Both the RAL and the repaired Cardas should be back by the 10th or so. Now if I only had two pairs of HD600 for comparisons.

Sep 4, 2007 at 8:36 PM Post #475 of 511
according to fed-ex tracking my apache arrived today.
smily_headphones1.gif
i had it shipped to a friend's address. i called him. has yet to return my call. boo-hoo.
frown.gif
but hopefully i will be able to pick it up later tonight, if he gets back to me. my balanced cables are new and need to be burned in before i listen balanced. i intend to do min. 50 hrs on them. they probably need a 100 (i find that most cables do) but i doubt i will be able to wait that long. i do have well-burned in SE cables, so if i manage to get it tonight, i will definitely give that a try.

Sep 4, 2007 at 10:55 PM Post #476 of 511
Was that your friend I saw at the Greyhound Station with 2 large heavy boxes?
evil_smiley.gif

Sep 4, 2007 at 11:33 PM Post #477 of 511
It arrived after leaving Skokie on Thursday, traveling east to Indianapolis on Friday and west to Peoria on Saturday and finally back east today to its final destination.

IMG_0557.JPG

A slightly different view, but not much:
IMG_0557.JPG

Sep 5, 2007 at 12:09 AM Post #478 of 511
Quote:

It arrived after leaving Skokie on Thursday, traveling east to Indianapolis on Friday and west to Peoria on Saturday and finally back east today to its final destination.

IMG_0557.JPG

IMG_0557.JPG

The way the pictures are stacked I thought for a second that you had two of each!
very_evil_smiley.gif

Sep 5, 2007 at 1:33 AM Post #479 of 511
Quote:

according to fed-ex tracking my apache arrived today.
smily_headphones1.gif
i had it shipped to a friend's address. i called him. has yet to return my call. boo-hoo.
frown.gif
but hopefully i will be able to pick it up later tonight, if he gets back to me. my balanced cables are new and need to be burned in before i listen balanced. i intend to do min. 50 hrs on them. they probably need a 100 (i find that most cables do) but i doubt i will be able to wait that long. i do have well-burned in SE cables, so if i manage to get it tonight, i will definitely give that a try.

Not to worry, the Apache is wonderful single ended.... A tip I got from Ray at the NorCal meet.... although the Apache will drive both SE and balanced phones at the same time (and do it well), the best sound will be when only either SE or balanced phones are plugged in... especially when there is a big difference in impedance. Correct me if I got that wrong, Ray.

Enjoy your new Apache.... I couldn't be happier with mine.... note to self: must do a review... spending toooooo... much time just listening to it.

Sep 5, 2007 at 4:50 AM Post #480 of 511
i got it!!! just set it up. first song. track 14 (untitled) of the album Happenstance by Rachael Yamagata. the song is pure vocals. almost no instruments. i looked at a huge pile of CDs but my eye caught this one. a good choice. listening SE with my RS1 with gain on low. very impressed so far. first thing i noticed was a huge sense of space, articulation, very resolving (little details come out here and there), no congestion in the music. great scaling. and that's SE. a good start.

also, the packaging was incredible. there was one large box and within, there were two very sturdy boxes, one holding the power supply and the other the amp. when you open the individual boxes, the component is wrapped tightly and securely in layers and layers of bubble wrap. i also noticed that styrofoam was placed on all sides of the volume knob for extra protection of that part. and each still point was placed in a separate small envelope with the four bases in one as well.

overall, very happy so far. can't wait to cycle through some CDs/headphones and go balanced once my cables burn in some.

me + apache =
smily_headphones1.gif

(sorry. no pics. no camera. i'm lame. i know.)

edit: huge difference between low and medium gain. so much LOUDER.

edit2: thumping bass
basshead.gif

more impressions. the unit is dead quiet. i tried various headphones of both high and low impedance. no sound, hiss, or anything even with the volume turned way up. just a dead black background. i believe it also helps that i have the unit connected to a brickwall surge filter. after some back and forth, i think medium gain is the best setting for single ended use. low gain is pretty low on the volume. have yet to try balanced so can't comment there. i listen at 9-11 and have had no problems finding an appropriate level. the volume knob moves very easily from one level to another. i wish there was more of a hard click in between steps so i knew when to stop, but i'm sure this is something that once you get used to, you never think about it. the input selector buttons have a nice feel to them. the mute function is a nice little feature too. i wanted to burn in my cables last night while i slept, so i put the player on repeat, hit "mute" on the apache and went to bed. yes i could have turned the volume way down but mute was easier. the unit also looks amazing (i have a silver one). one of the nicest looking, most elegant amps i have ever seen. one thing i noticed was that the front screws on mine are black not gold as in the pics shown in this thread. i actually liked the look of the gold but the black is good too.

for my setup, i have my G08 (also silver) on a wooden desk, then a thin piece of oak wood on top on the player, then the apache power supply and then the amp portion. all three stacked together. i'm using the spikes that came with the apache on both parts. the spikes on the power supply are larger than the ones on the amp. i don't use the bases on the power supply and instead tried to get the points to stick a bit into the wood for better traction. the amp portion is very light and when you change headphones you need to grab it securely; otherwise it will move around some. i wouldn't have minded if the amp portion were a bit heavier (a minor quibble though). as to sound, the apache continues to impress me with its huge sound stage, great scaling, powerful bass response, and the overall texture and weight in its presentation of the music. and i expect things to improve a bit more through balanced operation.

another little thing that i just noticed, because it is quite dark in my apartment right now, is that the volume knob is right between the play/mute and headphone/preamp lights and that the lights form a convenient guide post so that you can always find the volume knob and make whatever adjustments are necessary, even in the dark. intentional? probably not. but it works nonetheless.

what other little gems will i find tonight.
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back