The Analog/LP Thread-- How to Improve your vinyl playback
Mar 21, 2009 at 5:50 PM Post #16 of 26
fzman,

On another subject - I have an unused Air Tight PC-1. Can this be traded in towards a PC-1 Supreme?

I also have a second table, a heavily modded VPI HW 19 MK4 with a TNT platter and SDS with an ET 2 arm. How well would a Kiseki Agaat Ruby or PH Sapphire peform on it? My current phono preamp is an ARC PH-7, but I would be looking for another for the second turntable set up.

Thanks,

Bob

Mar 26, 2009 at 2:43 AM Post #17 of 26
Greetings,

I'm using a NAD 5020A turntable with an ortofon M20E super. In your opinion should the table provide a decent entry level setup, and should I change the cartridge? I found some minor info on audiokarma but it seems rather unknown. How do I know if the cartridge is old/used enough that it needs to be replaced regardless?

What would you suggest if I do replace it for an entry level setup?

Mar 26, 2009 at 4:31 PM Post #18 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by randerson3024 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
fzman,

On another subject - I have an unused Air Tight PC-1. Can this be traded in towards a PC-1 Supreme?

I also have a second table, a heavily modded VPI HW 19 MK4 with a TNT platter and SDS with an ET 2 arm. How well would a Kiseki Agaat Ruby or PH Sapphire peform on it? My current phono preamp is an ARC PH-7, but I would be looking for another for the second turntable set up.

Thanks,

Bob

Bob, It's been a really long time since I heard anyone refer to the Kiseki cartridges ( I lusted after a Purpleheart, when they were still in production). My sense, from long-term memory, is that they would work fine on the ET arm, and the arm sure works nicely on that table. I'd keep an eye on the status of the cartridges, since they do suffer from physical aging (the donuts tend to stiffen up as they dry out) as well as from usage/wear-related aging effects.

As to the Air Tight trade-in, i will check into it for you, but feel free to call me in the meantime and I will see what might be done in that regard.

Best,

Mark

Mar 26, 2009 at 5:02 PM Post #19 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by Shike /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Greetings,

I'm using a NAD 5020A turntable with an ortofon M20E super. In your opinion should the table provide a decent entry level setup, and should I change the cartridge? I found some minor info on audiokarma but it seems rather unknown. How do I know if the cartridge is old/used enough that it needs to be replaced regardless?

What would you suggest if I do replace it for an entry level setup?

Info on that table is very limited -- I would recommend that you call Bes @ 312-738-5007-- he will probably have more specific info for you.

As to the question about cartridge condition, and possible replacement, it is hard to answer without seeing/hearing it, but bear in mind that cartridges physically age beyond issues of stylus wear. There are many good, affordable cartridges that could be mounted, no matter which you chose, you would be best served getting a stylus force gauge and an alignment protractor to help you install a replacement correctly.

If you don't want to get into all of that, then I would take a look at the Project Debut III w/ Ortofon OM-5 cartridge: MUSICDIRECT - PRO-JECT DEBUT III TURNTABLE W - ORTOFON OM5 MM CARTRIDGE, on our site. This is an extremely good entry-level setup, which will give you great sound, ease of use, and a warranty. And, it can ship pretty much set up ready to play. Let me know if you have other questions about the potential upgrade.

Best regards,

Mark

Mar 29, 2009 at 10:23 PM Post #21 of 26
Has anyone heard the new VPI “Classic Turntable”? At $2500 and with JMW-10.5i SE tonearm this sounds like a lot of turntable (and arm) for the money.

Also curious how it compares to the AVID Diva II w/Jelco SA-250ST and the Clearaudio Performance.

Mar 30, 2009 at 5:54 PM Post #22 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by ok0510 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You got my full VPI 16.5 RCM System at MD!Do you make sure ?

Yes, they are in stock, you can place an order over the phone with me at 800-449-8333, or on our web site www.musicdirect.com.

Mark

Apr 10, 2009 at 1:15 AM Post #23 of 26
Will a VPI SDS work on any belt driven turntable with a standard
[size=small]hysteresis motor? I may order a second one for a different turntable I have.[/size]

[size=small]Thanks.[/size]

Apr 13, 2009 at 8:15 PM Post #24 of 26
randerson,

The SDS ramps down voltage to about 78v, iirc, after it spins-up the platter, so it may cause problems with motors that don't like to see lower voltages. The motors that are used by vpi are configured specifically w/ film caps to be able to use the SDS.
Perhaps you can do a quick test and see if the motor runs true to speed, and does not heat up or act weirdly.

Sorry for not being able to be more specific.

Best regards,

Mark

May 27, 2009 at 4:47 PM Post #26 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by fzman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
randerson,

The SDS ramps down voltage to about 78v, iirc, after it spins-up the platter, so it may cause problems with motors that don't like to see lower voltages. The motors that are used by vpi are configured specifically w/ film caps to be able to use the SDS.
Perhaps you can do a quick test and see if the motor runs true to speed, and does not heat up or act weirdly.

Sorry for not being able to be more specific.

Best regards,

Mark

That is very helpful.

Thank you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back