The Analog/LP Thread-- How to Improve your vinyl playback
Mar 8, 2009 at 3:55 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 26

fzman

Headphoneus Supremus
[size=medium]The Analog/LP Thread-- How to Improve your vinyl playback[/size]

We play LPs both at work and at home, and have amassed extensive hands-on experience with the best that vinyl playback has to offer, from the affordable to the state of the art.

Music Direct sells a wide range of great sounding turntables, arms, and cartridges, and the accessories to keep them at their best, and a huge selection of new audiophile, domestic and imported new LPs.

We'd love to help you upgrade your vinyl rig, or get you started enjoying the great sound that LPs provide. Post here, or give us a call or an email.

Mar 9, 2009 at 8:13 PM Post #3 of 26
Clean records are happy records. Every LP in your collection will benefit from proper cleaning. New LPs have residue from the mold-release compounds, and old LPs have who-knows-what on them. Given how small the groove modulations are for the highest frequencies, tiny motes of dust start looking like boulders!

Whether hand cleaning with the MoFi One and MoFi LP brushes, to machine cleaning with a VPI or Nitty Gritty, you are making an investment in your LP collection. Drop me a line and I’ll be happy to make specific recommendations.

mark
mark@musicdirect.com

Mar 10, 2009 at 12:20 AM Post #4 of 26
Music Direct rocks! Their 30 day "No questions asked" policy is just what it says; if something doesn't work out, they might (kindly, IMO) offer some suggestions, but it's truly zero pressure and they will absolutely take something back if it doesn't gel with your system.

One (of two--I won't mention them on another sponsor's forum, of course) of my absolute go-to guys!

Mar 11, 2009 at 2:30 AM Post #5 of 26
I recently purchased a VPI Scout (upgrading from a Pro-Ject 1Xpression III).
For budgetary reasons I had to stay with my Clearaudio Classic Wood cartridge.

What cartridge would you recommend for this table when I am ready to purchase one in a few months?

Also any Phono Amp Suggestions? I am using the Pro-Ject Phono Box II USB.
I've heard a lot about the Cambridge Audio 640P. Or how about the Graham Slee Gram Amp 2 SE?

Thanks,

-- Sanjay

Mar 14, 2009 at 4:37 PM Post #8 of 26
Hello,

I currently have a technics SLB 210 belt drive turntable, a crappy onkyo amplifier and some measly $30 sony speakers. I am ready for an upgrade.

I am thinking about getting some Usher s-520 speakers, an outlaw retro 2150 and maybe hanging on to my turntable. My budget is 1500-2000. Any ideas?

thanks

Mar 14, 2009 at 6:18 PM Post #9 of 26
Try adding a budget Grado cartridge to your turntable, it may work wonders with the upgrades you have planned.

Mar 15, 2009 at 7:53 PM Post #11 of 26
How about Large Advent Speakers with Marantz 2270? I listen to mostly 60's soul so i think vintage equipment might be better. Would this be better than going with newer components?

Mar 19, 2009 at 8:18 PM Post #12 of 26
Sanjay,

The cartridge recommendation will depend on your musical taste and your listening preferences-- the scout is a very versatile table/arm combo, and will work well with a wide variety of cartridges. Give me some idea as to what sort of music you listen to, and your sonic preferences and I can make some better recommendations.

Phono preamp choice will, to some extent, depend on the cartridge choice. i would highly recommend you check out the Sim Audio LP3, however.

Feel free to call me if you want to go over this in more detail.

Mark 800-449-8333

Quote:

Originally Posted by schugh /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I recently purchased a VPI Scout (upgrading from a Pro-Ject 1Xpression III).
For budgetary reasons I had to stay with my Clearaudio Classic Wood cartridge.

What cartridge would you recommend for this table when I am ready to purchase one in a few months?

Also any Phono Amp Suggestions? I am using the Pro-Ject Phono Box II USB.
I've heard a lot about the Cambridge Audio 640P. Or how about the Graham Slee Gram Amp 2 SE?

Thanks,

-- Sanjay

Mar 19, 2009 at 8:27 PM Post #13 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by homer808 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How about Large Advent Speakers with Marantz 2270? I listen to mostly 60's soul so i think vintage equipment might be better. Would this be better than going with newer components?

The Large Advents are power hungry, and usually require new surrounds at their age. The Marantz is a good piece, but may need to be re-capped. Also, the older gear uses pretty low quality connectors and is not set up to take the output level produced by many of today's cd players.

I would look at getting new gear, with warranties and a return priviledge. For starters, take a look at the Epos and Focal speakers on our site, and perhaps the Marantz Integrated Amp. You can always call or email me directly if you want more specifics.

Best Regards,

Mark

Mar 20, 2009 at 2:07 AM Post #14 of 26
Thanks Mark,

I'm in a debate between the outlaw rr2150 or an old marantz like the 2270. There is a guy on ebay who refurbishes marantz products so i think the marantz would be in good condition, but i am tempted to go for something new. Do you think the rr2150 would compare to the marantz in sound quality and warmth? This would be used mostly for vinyl but also for CD's and movies.

Mar 21, 2009 at 3:17 PM Post #15 of 26
I like the vintage Marantz sound, but it is a bit over-warm, and the speaker-cable connectors are difficlut to use with speaker cables other than bare wire 18 gauge....

The Outlaw is a very impressive piece, and is attractively priced for its mix of sonics, build quality and features. Couple that with some of the epos els-3s on special, and perhaps a Debut III turntable, and you'd have a wicked-good setup that you could build on (perhaps add a small REL sub down the road.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back