The amazing sounding, very easy, almost free RME mod!
Apr 10, 2004 at 1:27 AM Post #46 of 182
Quote:

Originally posted by Edwood
Would using an Xacto knife be enough, or do I have to cut all the way through the PCB?

-Ed

I will figure that part out
biggrin.gif
wink.gif

Apr 10, 2004 at 1:39 AM Post #47 of 182
Apr 10, 2004 at 6:47 AM Post #48 of 182
oh! those mini-XLR comes in more than just 3pin!? I want them badly
eek.gif
eek.gif
frown.gif

I would use them for my new balanced Gilmore and balanced headphone cable..

why must I live in such small country with even smaller market
rolleyes.gif

Apr 10, 2004 at 9:36 AM Post #49 of 182
Standard four pin XLR is too big for you?

Edwood_R10_CableMod_02.jpg

This is what I envisioned modding the R10's cable would look like.

Not too big. Looks better than the stock connector.
And the best part is that with the use of an adapter, it can still be used with standard 1/4" jacks.
Edwood_R10_CableMod_01.jpg

-Ed

Apr 11, 2004 at 12:44 AM Post #52 of 182
But if you're cutting the traces to the 1/4" TRS input jack, then how are you going to re-route the outputs to it? You'll need to use hook up wires, correct? Or is there some weird thing you're going to do? You're not going to use solder to make the connections are you?

-Ed

Apr 12, 2004 at 6:06 AM Post #53 of 182
well sh1t on me. It doesn't work, Peter.

No sound, nada. Here's the weird part. When I switch between the sound cards in Foobar, (with balanced connectors yanked.) I get sound. So basically, Foobar thinks the both cards are the same one. I rebooted, no dice.

It was working perfectly in your computer, but nada out of mine. What?!

I guess I'll yank it and have a looksy.

confused.gif

*Edit* Well, I yanked both the cards. Checked the solder joints. Everything looks good. Put only the modded card in and it works perfectly. So it's a drive issue.

I'll try to put the stock card back in later. Right now I'm enjoying the music. Holy crap, this is not a subtle improvement.
biggrin.gif

-Ed

Apr 12, 2004 at 6:47 AM Post #55 of 182
Yep, it's your power, Peter. I don't lose as much overall volume. (Still lose some though)
Power does make a difference.

Also, best of all, using balanced cables has all but eliminated the ground loop! Yay! Ii can use my grounded PS Audio xStream cable again!
biggrin.gif

-Ed

Apr 12, 2004 at 6:53 AM Post #57 of 182
Guys I don't know what you two are talking about anymore. You two need a room on Instant Messenger
tongue.gif

So Ed went over to Iron's place to check out which mods? The balanced output one and??? who's card is in what state now?

Apr 12, 2004 at 7:10 AM Post #58 of 182
Mine is running unbalanced, analog output stage bypassed by a pair of Blackgates.

Ed has two, one stock, one is now running balanced output, with the alanog output stage bypassed by short pieces of stranded copper wire (ripped from Canare Starquad).

Routed through the Grace, the two sounded nearly identical to both of us, with only minor tonal differences likely caused by the different calbes used (headphile XRS (silver) for unbalanced, Canare Starquad (copper) for balanced).

Apr 12, 2004 at 7:48 AM Post #59 of 182
Lan, time to smoke s'more solder, man.

If you don't mind not having analog input, the balanced output and analog output stage bypass mod is very easy and cheap. You only need about 4 inches of hook up wire.

So get some pliers ready and warm up the soldering iron.
biggrin.gif

-Ed

Users who are viewing this thread

Back