The amazing sounding, very easy, almost free RME mod!
Apr 10, 2004 at 12:39 AM Post #31 of 182
Wodgy, please tell us how to mod the RME PAD into balanced output.
evil_smiley.gif

-Ed

Apr 10, 2004 at 12:51 AM Post #34 of 182
Quote:

So would I have to desolder the 1/4" TRS analog output jack to do this, or could I make an adapter cable? I could order some female XLR cable connectors and solder wires to the sound card. Although, I think I will probably have to make some kind of wiring harness adapter, as It would be rather difficult to remove the sound card with XLR "dongles" soldered to it.

No, you don't have to desolder the analog output jack. You could if you wanted to. It won't make a difference. You need to either find somewhere to mount the XLR jacks or just buy cable-mount jacks and have a cable tethered to your RME.

Apr 10, 2004 at 12:53 AM Post #35 of 182
Quote:

Originally posted by Edwood
I have some Female XLR cable connectors that a dongle could be made out of. Some Canare Starquad cables too.

Sounds like you're almost all ready to go! Just order 4 BlackGate N/NX/NH series, and some heat shrink for the cable mounts.

Apr 10, 2004 at 12:58 AM Post #37 of 182
Quote:

Originally posted by Wodgy
No, you don't have to desolder the analog output jack. You could if you wanted to. It won't make a difference. You need to either find somewhere to mount the XLR jacks or just buy cable-mount jacks and have a cable tethered to your RME.

Cable mount jack? What kind would you recommend?

-Ed

Apr 10, 2004 at 1:06 AM Post #39 of 182
Quote:

Originally posted by Iron_Dreamer
What I was thinking was disabling the analog input 1/4" jack, and using it as the other output channel. Since you've got two cards Ed, you could always just mod one to be bypassed/balanced (your currently unmodded one?) and use the other for the K1000 and analog input if you ever need it.

Sounds good to me. There are already two perfectly good 1/4" TRS jacks there already. I have no plans to use the analog input.

I think I want to keep one stock to have a reference point of comparison. We'll compare your analog bypass to the older OP amp mod directly. We'll hear for sure the difference.

Then mod the modded card.
I have two Neutrik NC3FX-HD's ready to go.
biggrin.gif
I have also happen to have two Neutrik 1/4" plugs too.

-Ed

Apr 10, 2004 at 1:10 AM Post #41 of 182
One thing you might think about is using mini-XLR connectors, like those used on the AKG K271S. You could mount two mini-XLR connectors on a metal PCI slot cover.

Apr 10, 2004 at 1:12 AM Post #42 of 182
If you "re-purpose" the 1/4 inch jacks, be sure to take a Dremel and cut the PCB traces that lead to each of the jacks, to fully disconnect the existing input and ouput stages from the jacks.

Apr 10, 2004 at 1:17 AM Post #44 of 182
Quote:

Originally posted by Wodgy
If you "re-purpose" the 1/4 inch jacks, be sure to take a Dremel and cut the PCB traces that lead to each of the jacks, to fully disconnect the existing input and ouput stages from the jacks.

Would using an Xacto knife be enough, or do I have to cut all the way through the PCB?

-Ed

Apr 10, 2004 at 1:27 AM Post #45 of 182
I'm not sure who makes mini-XLR jacks. There were a couple threads in the DIY forum about this; it's probably worth doing a search.

An X-acto knife should be fine, assuming it's just a two layer board (traces on top and on the bottom). You won't be able to cut all the way through a PCB with an X-acto knife.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back