The Altmann Tera Player - Thread
Sep 28, 2019 at 9:10 AM Post #2,566 of 2,897
Aiya, I was just in the 852. Needed this for my Raspberry Pi Zero Project...

Should make for a slim custom case... Good find.

What is this project, any details along with the board attached to the Raspberry Pi Zero board.
What can it do?

Sep 28, 2019 at 11:52 AM Post #2,567 of 2,897
Hi @musicday

I have seen in previous posts that you were willing to allow members have an audition of the Tera Player and I see you are in South London and I have always been keen to hear what the Tera Player sounds like, any chance of a link up to give it an audition?

Sep 28, 2019 at 12:58 PM Post #2,568 of 2,897
Hi @musicday

I have seen in previous posts that you were willing to allow members have an audition of the Tera Player and I see you are in South London and I have always been keen to hear what the Tera Player sounds like, any chance of a link up to give it an audition?
Sorry, not possible this time of the year.

Sep 29, 2019 at 5:21 PM Post #2,569 of 2,897
What is this project, any details along with the board attached to the Raspberry Pi Zero board.
What can it do?

I'll try to keep it short as I don't want to off-topic one of my favorite threads.

Basically, it's a music server with a optical output. Antipodes, the $10K music server, uses the same backend software. So all the processing and battery power is used on the rPi0 side. This allows a separation of the backend and frontend. For my frontend, I can use an app on my iPhone or a Apple Watch. Being a Raspberry Pi, I can also use infrared remote control as long as I have a infrared receiver. Since I miss the ergonomics of the Tera Player, I use this remote than can be controlled from inside one's pocket a la Tera Player. The rPi is powered by a USB battery bank. The app can be closed once you launch a play process, so saves the iPhone battery. App is optional if you just use the remote.

chunghop.jpg

ip3.png

ip7.png

Since it's optical, it's device-agnostic. I can use for Mojo, Hugo1, Hugo2, DAVE, TT2, 2Qute, Qutest and any future iterations of Chord devices as long as it has an optical input. It's software-agnostic as well as there are also Android and Android Wear apps for this purpose.

The rPi0's built-in WIFI is turned into a SSID router allowing any device to connect to it thus allowing UI software control.

For the sound, it's amazing. I used premium USB cables in the past with Hugo2 and was never overwhelmed by Redbook CDs. Now I understand why Rob Watts mentions RBCD > DSD. Having a proper source makes a big difference for my RBCD enjoyment. I use a Lifatec glass optical cable with this build. Zero RFI makes a extremely black background.

So in a nutshell, it's a Wireless Hugo2 setup with some Tera Player influence sprinkled in the middle. It's like having a Desktop Music Server + Chord in a portable package.

Last edited:
Sep 30, 2019 at 12:44 AM Post #2,570 of 2,897
I'll try to keep it short as I don't want to off-topic one of my favorite threads.

Basically, it's a music server with a optical output. Antipodes, the $10K music server, uses the same backend software. So all the processing and battery power is used on the rPi0 side. This allows a separation of the backend and frontend. For my frontend, I can use an app on my iPhone or a Apple Watch. Being a Raspberry Pi, I can also use infrared remote control as long as I have a infrared receiver. Since I miss the ergonomics of the Tera Player, I use this remote than can be controlled from inside one's pocket a la Tera Player. The rPi is powered by a USB battery bank. The app can be closed once you launch a play process, so saves the iPhone battery. App is optional if you just use the remote.

Since it's optical, it's device-agnostic. I can use for Mojo, Hugo1, Hugo2, DAVE, TT2, 2Qute, Qutest and any future iterations of Chord devices as long as it has an optical input. It's software-agnostic as well as there are also Android and Android Wear apps for this purpose.

The rPi0's built-in WIFI is turned into a SSID router allowing any device to connect to it thus allowing UI software control.

For the sound, it's amazing. I used premium USB cables in the past with Hugo2 and was never overwhelmed by Redbook CDs. Now I understand why Rob Watts mentions RBCD > DSD. Having a proper source makes a big difference for my RBCD enjoyment. I use a Lifatec glass optical cable with this build. Zero RFI makes a extremely black background.

So in a nutshell, it's a Wireless Hugo2 setup with some Tera Player influence sprinkled in the middle. It's like having a Desktop Music Server + Chord in a portable package.

Thank you it sounds like an ideal project
Something that I will be looking into for sure.

Oct 6, 2019 at 6:15 PM Post #2,572 of 2,897

Nice! RFI reduction and isolation has revolutionised my listening. I've used optical sources for the last 2 years as my preference (sold most of my USB cables / network end points).

Keep us posted.

Oct 6, 2019 at 6:55 PM Post #2,573 of 2,897
Nice! RFI reduction and isolation has revolutionised my listening. I've used optical sources for the last 2 years as my preference (sold most of my USB cables / network end points).

Keep us posted.

Ditto. All USB audio cables sold except I use a Ghent Audio Gotham USB for power-only (only VCC/GND soldered) since it has five layers of shielding. Some Chord summit-fi users use the Gotham DC in their chain, but I'm transportable-only/CIEMs-only so USB route. Glad to see someone else make the shift out of USB. It really is an ear-opening (revolutionised) moment and optimises the Chord experience. It's truly reference.

http://ghentaudio.com/part/dc-gac4.html

Such a deep black abyss background once noise is out of the equation. I looked at some of the USB Frankenstein rigs and I was like no way I'm going down that rabbit hole. Someone even daisy-chained 25 iFiaudio USB products together and claimed their Hugo2 sounded better than the DAVE going this route after all the filtering. I take Rob Watts advice to heart and just keep things simple, but with high quality parts. Certainly glad to be done with my transportable rig and done with USB.

The Tera Player helped me through my Vinyl phase and I do really miss it some days. I was never able to replicate some of the goosebumps the TP + Lab1 gave me with pristine Vinyl pressings. I needed to eventually move on to Customs and RBCD though. Just a natural evolution with awkward ear sizes, but the TP will never be forgotten.

Last edited:
Oct 11, 2019 at 11:36 PM Post #2,576 of 2,897
The Tera PLayer looks really cool and has the Philips 2R2000 Dac which makes it a really attractive idea, like a high end reference sound, but it's too expensive for me. I think I pretty much have the sound I want from it, from my Sony ZX2.... Sony afterall invented the walkman along with Philips. Do they actually sound similar?

Oct 15, 2019 at 5:13 AM Post #2,577 of 2,897
Enjoying it a lot, just hope Charles can make a firmware upgrade to implement low battery indication function (say, let the red led blink once in 10 seconds when battery goes below 20%, and once in 5 seconds when battery goes below 10%), running out of battery on the go is not fun, and i dont want to always keep it fully charged which would reduce the lifespan of the internal battery :/

Oct 28, 2019 at 3:19 AM Post #2,578 of 2,897
Oct 28, 2019 at 7:36 AM Post #2,579 of 2,897
Hi All,

Posting a few pics of one of the cases I got from Crimson Hides. Great Service from them and also excellent quality of the product, highly recommended. I asked them to add a couple of holes in the flap to accommodate a wrist strap and they did it very well. One thing though is that i found the player was a bit too small for the case and too much moving around in it for my taste so I tried to find a solution for stopping it to move inside and in this process I found a funny way to make an homemade rubber silicone sub case which indeed works also great on its own at protecting the player from scratches and damages. This rubber silicone case only costs me 4 dollars and 2 minutes to make :) fits like a glove. Added benefit, when inserted in the Crimson case it makes the pressing of the buttons through the case much more sensitive.

p0gIhLf.jpg

ulMymLu.jpg

yw73zsg.jpg
HWtaZ2O.jpg

cbg6K7v.jpg

UGNeuR5.jpg
Actually this silicone skin case is a great discovery. Not only that keeps the player safe from bumps, scratches, but also protects the battery in cold environments.
I tried to buy one buy they seem to be available only for Muji website or China?

Oct 28, 2019 at 10:21 AM Post #2,580 of 2,897
Actually this silicone skin case is a great discovery. Not only that keeps the player safe from bumps, scratches, but also protects the battery in cold environments.
I tried to buy one buy they seem to be available only for Muji website or China?
Yes I got it in Muji Hong Kong indeed but not online, directly in the shop. If you are interested you can PM me , I can see if i can send you some.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back