The All-New WA7 Fireflies from Woo Audio
Jul 30, 2013 at 5:57 AM Post #380 of 726
well, around a month on I figured that I'd post I'm very happy with my WA2 Fireflies and HD800 combo :) 

only one comment really

the spot on the volume knob that goes around illuminated, this'd be great in the dark

Jul 31, 2013 at 12:43 AM Post #381 of 726
Quote:
Listen to my WA7 + T5p combo every day all day at work and I couldn't be happier with the sound.  I am hearing things in music that I have listened to for 20 years that I have never heard before.  Very warm, very pure and clear with plenty of reserve power to put a punch in any kick at any moment without losing the ability to hear the artist take a breath between verse. 

Wow you actually use it at work! Your non-high-fi colleagues must be perplexed by the looks (half oldschool half modern) of this mysterious device.

Does it improve the T5p compared to straight computer/mp3 player output?

Jul 31, 2013 at 9:03 AM Post #383 of 726
At the april NYC couple of people tried HD800 with WA7 and they liked it. I didn't try it myself cause I don't like HD800 but tried several others including T1 and TH900 and they worked well

Jul 31, 2013 at 12:56 PM Post #384 of 726
Quote:
Wow you actually use it at work! Your non-high-fi colleagues must be perplexed by the looks (half oldschool half modern) of this mysterious device.

I have mine at work too.  On top of my PC tower, under my desk.  Yes, it is a conversation item.  :)

Jul 31, 2013 at 3:53 PM Post #385 of 726
Quote:
Not rare at all in fact I think they are still in production in Russia so no need to build a stash.
I read somewhere that these tubes were developed for high powered military radar systems so at the power levels in the Woo they should last for years.

Has anyone had their EH tubes go outta wack?  Mine developed a serious channel imbalance which seemed to be more evident when switched to high impedence.  I swapped in the Sovteks and the imbalance is gone.  I've been using my WA7 with the EH's at work nearly every workday since late February but in reality I don't think that represents more than 500 hours on the tubes.

Jul 31, 2013 at 8:08 PM Post #386 of 726
Quote:

Does it improve the T5p compared to straight computer/mp3 player output?

Yes, they are... every day one comes in wondering what it is and leaving with a huge smile on their face after hearing it with the T5p... the difference in sound compared to the computer output is incomparably immense.

Jul 31, 2013 at 8:11 PM Post #387 of 726
Quote:

Has anyone had their EH tubes go outta wack?  Mine developed a serious channel imbalance which seemed to be more evident when switched to high impedence.  I swapped in the Sovteks and the imbalance is gone.  I've been using my WA7 with the EH's at work nearly every workday since late February but in reality I don't think that represents more than 500 hours on the tubes.

No imbalance problems here using the EH tubes... sound so good i ordered an extra pair from the cryo-place someone on here recommended just incase they get old before i do 
L3000.gif

Jul 31, 2013 at 8:23 PM Post #388 of 726
Perhaps I was a little poetic in that statement .
I have found it difficult to find data on the EH tube , there is a factory spec sheet for the Sovtek tube which lists a period of 3000 hours within operational parameters.
Looking at similar Russian tubes the shortest life span I could find was 2000 hours for a tube used in high voltage switching.
Life for similar tubes in general seems to be in the range of 3000 to 5000 hours with ruggedized versions rated up to 10000 hours.
So although you have my sympathy in component failure is always a pain in the *^#@ I really hope you have just been unlucky.
My experience with gold pin tubes of the ef95 type for my La Figaro amp is that they tend to be more prone to gas leakage than standard tubes from the same manufacturer , this may prove to be true for the EH tube.
Time will tell.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back