The AKG K7XX Massdrop First Edition Thread
Mar 19, 2017 at 9:06 PM Post #4,366 of 4,580
Anyone had the Momentum 2's over-ear and compared them to these? Obviously closed-back vs open-back, but I'd still like to hear opinions. I've had the K701s over ten years ago and I loved them back then. It looks like the K7XX are on Massdrop again, I'm considering getting them.

Mar 19, 2017 at 9:07 PM Post #4,367 of 4,580
  Anyone had the Momentum 2's over-ear and compared them to these? Obviously closed-back vs open-back, but I'd still like to hear opinions. I've had the K701s over ten years ago and I loved them back then. It looks like the K7XX are on Massdrop again, I'm considering getting them.

Also, I find it funny how many people mention the "knifing the headband" for the previous models. It seems like the headband was universally hated. Glad to see this new edition without those cardboard bumps. :)

Mar 19, 2017 at 10:19 PM Post #4,368 of 4,580

I don't have the Momentum 2 but I have the original Momentum
Sound stage goes to K7XX, bass is cleaner but also leaner, mids are recessed compared to Momentum, highs have a bit more sparkle on the K7XX and due to the open design better air and separation to me.  FYI: these impressions depend a little on what you use to drive the K7XX, if from my phone then the Momentum is a better sounding headphone while using a Lyr2 or Ember then the K7XX would be my choice.

A strange comparison since these headphones are designed for different purposes.

Mar 20, 2017 at 3:27 AM Post #4,369 of 4,580
  While looking for Binaural music on youtube I found this binaural video of 2017 F1 testing in Barcelona and its one of the coolest audio expereinces I've ever heard. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fg-mgA9g3bY I'm listening on my AKG K7XX. 

yup, I follow Bozzy and he has been recording a good amount of 3D Binaural audio lately.

Makes you feel like you are right there with him lol

Mar 23, 2017 at 3:03 AM Post #4,371 of 4,580

I have both. The Momentums are great, especially for what they are, mobile headhphones, and considering how small they are.
They blow the build quality of the AKG away, nice materials. Better bass in a way ? you may know detailed vs bassy headphones. It's a toss up but the AKG's Soundstage wins I think. The AKG is just relaxed ant it's like the 600 in that it has an attractive sound for home listening, I use it for late night 

Mar 23, 2017 at 6:33 PM Post #4,372 of 4,580
  While looking for Binaural music on youtube I found this binaural video of 2017 F1 testing in Barcelona and its one of the coolest audio expereinces I've ever heard. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fg-mgA9g3bY I'm listening on my AKG K7XX. 

Just spent 30min listening to cars noises :) thanks for the link

Mar 28, 2017 at 2:02 PM Post #4,373 of 4,580
Hello all, long time reader, first time poster here. Just received my K7XX and they are a great step up from my old HD555s (now on office duty). There is a lot of talk about amps and dacs in this thread. I've read through pretty much every post, and am having a hell of a time making a decision. The primary source of confusion exists because my source, a Gigabyte GA-Z170-MX Gaming 5, seems to have a decent sound setup. It uses the Realtek ALC1150 with up to 115dB SNR, and has a TI Burr OPA2134 replaceable opamp. The motherboard also has a "DAC Up" USB port that has it's own dedicated power source. With the motherboard on low gain, I had to push windows volume to 90. On high gain, I can get to around 40-50 or so.

I know that something dedicated would likely bring better results. If I were to buy an amp (and possibly DAC), I would want it to be a worthwhile improvement. I'm looking at some options in the $200-300 range (Schiit, JDS Labs). The Topping D30 DAC looks great, but their amps are mostly t-class amps that I would rather avoid. My main concern is that I want to spend money on a worthwhile upgrade, to something that has good synergy with these uniquely spec'd headphones.

Mar 28, 2017 at 2:08 PM Post #4,374 of 4,580
  Hello all, long time reader, first time poster here. Just received my K7XX and they are a great step up from my old HD555s (now on office duty). There is a lot of talk about amps and dacs in this thread. I've read through pretty much every post, and am having a hell of a time making a decision. The primary source of confusion exists because my source, a Gigabyte GA-Z170-MX Gaming 5, seems to have a decent sound setup. It uses the Realtek ALC1150 with up to 115dB SNR, and has a TI Burr OPA2134 replaceable opamp. The motherboard also has a "DAC Up" USB port that has it's own dedicated power source. With the motherboard on low gain, I had to push windows volume to 90. On high gain, I can get to around 40-50 or so.

I know that something dedicated would likely bring better results. If I were to buy an amp (and possibly DAC), I would want it to be a worthwhile improvement. I'm looking at some options in the $200-300 range (Schiit, JDS Labs). The Topping D30 DAC looks great, but their amps are mostly t-class amps that I would rather avoid. My main concern is that I want to spend money on a worthwhile upgrade, to something that has good synergy with these uniquely spec'd headphones.

I just got the D30/A30 setup and its pretty damn awesome tbh.
It has multiple gain modes and its great for low power or sensitive headphones.
Additionally its good for higher power stuff too (as it has a hi power side and a hi power switch).

It also has RCA Passthrough which is pretty awesome if you want to go to a set of powered monitors or a speaker amp later on.

I have 2x A30's, one is attached to my D30 and the other to my SMSL M8. Both resolve well but I actually prefer the D30 because the M8's filters change the audio a bit.

Mar 28, 2017 at 2:53 PM Post #4,375 of 4,580

I just got the D30/A30 setup and its pretty damn awesome tbh.
It has multiple gain modes and its great for low power or sensitive headphones.
Additionally its good for higher power stuff too (as it has a hi power side and a hi power switch).

It also has RCA Passthrough which is pretty awesome if you want to go to a set of powered monitors or a speaker amp later on.

I have 2x A30's, one is attached to my D30 and the other to my SMSL M8. Both resolve well but I actually prefer the D30 because the M8's filters change the audio a bit.

Huh. I hadn't come across the A30 yet. That seems to be much better spec wise than a lot of the other class T stuff I was finding earlier. I actually quite like the idea of the RCA passthrough for powered monitors. I current have the logitech z2300 speakers but was looking to upgrade those at some point, so that's a great feature at a better price than the Magni 2 Uber. That being said, I liked the O2 Amp because of it's low noise floor. I'll have to look at the specs of the A30 to compare to some others in the price point.

Have any idea how the D30 compares to the OL Dac? The OL Dac seemed to have a lower noise floor (albeit only just) than the Modi 2. Of course, the aesthetics of a matching stack are always nice to have, so the pre-amp option on the A30 is now very intriguing to pair with the D30!

Mar 28, 2017 at 3:13 PM Post #4,376 of 4,580

Huh. I hadn't come across the A30 yet. That seems to be much better spec wise than a lot of the other class T stuff I was finding earlier. I actually quite like the idea of the RCA passthrough for powered monitors. I current have the logitech z2300 speakers but was looking to upgrade those at some point, so that's a great feature at a better price than the Magni 2 Uber. That being said, I liked the O2 Amp because of it's low noise floor. I'll have to look at the specs of the A30 to compare to some others in the price point.

Have any idea how the D30 compares to the OL Dac? The OL Dac seemed to have a lower noise floor (albeit only just) than the Modi 2. Of course, the aesthetics of a matching stack are always nice to have, so the pre-amp option on the A30 is now very intriguing to pair with the D30!

The D30 is better than the ODAC. Basically the D30/A30 is a better o2 stack.

http://www.tpdz.net/en/products/d30/index.htm
https://www.jdslabs.com/products/176/ol-dac/

http://www.tpdz.net/en/products/a30/index.htm
https://www.jdslabs.com/products/35/objective2-headphone-amplifier/

The A30 has the advantage of multiple modes, 3 selectable gain levels.
On the "low power" side the max output is just a bit more than the O2 (which some people find anemic for high draw headphones) and on the high power side its 1551mw which is more than enough for even the most demanding of Cans.
Personally this was the winner for me because I tried the Schiit Fulla2 and with only a 550mw max output and a 1.7db gain it was already too loud with my Panasonic HD-10s and my 1More Triples at around 9 oclock on the volume Pot, whats worse is that the Magni2 Uber has 3x the power of the Fulla2 and many people have reported that its basically unusable with lower power/more sensitive Cans/IEM's.

Personally more and more headphones are coming with lower power requirements and higher sensitivities due to people listening to so much music on their phones. This makes these Amps fundamentally bad for many of the headphones on the market. Giving you basically 0 volume adjustment capabilities and the need to use resistor boxes or buffer jacks (which also alter sound quality a bit) to drive lower power Cans/IEMs.

Also the build quality of the A30 is top notch and it has an upgradable OpAmp but already uses a very high quality OpAmp out of the box and all the rest of the parts are top quality aswell.

On the side of the D30, it basically does everything even with DSD support (if that is your cup of tea) it uses the top end Xmos chip found in DAC's that are sometimes upwards of 10x as expensive. Its implementation is beautiful and it uses high quality TI Opamps and high quality capacitors.
I have tested the D30 against the Fulla2 (Uses AKM 4490, and the SMSL M8 aswell as the FiiO K1 and the HTC 10). The D30 has an analytical sound like that of OLDAC and is incredibly resolving. I prefer its sound to the SMSL M8 which has filters that tend to modify the sound a bit (for this reason it seems the D30 is slightly more resolving) and its much better than the K1 (even if the K1 is good for its very modest price).
The HTC 10 has been praised for excellent quality and the D30 is on part with it, although the HTC 10 is a DAC + Amp (obviously as its a phone) and its sound is more warm, therefore the comparison isn't the same as the rest of the devices since I routed the Fulla2, SMSL M8, Topping D30 all though the A30 for testing. I also tried it the other way with routing the D30 through the Fulla2 (Amp section) and testing the Fulla2 stand alone. In all scenarios the D30 is the clearest and most analytical sounding.
The Fulla2 is a brighter implementation, things sound a bit more musical and "fun" but for this reason its not as resolving especially in complex Jazz/Classical pieces. The Amp is even brighter and brightens up the D30 a bit aswell when I'm using its Amp portion (did it for testing purposes, and because the A30 didn't arrive for 3 days after the D30 was already here).

I haven't tested the SMSL M8 -> Fulla2 Amp but I don't believe that I need to (although I will upon request) because I already know that the Amp in the Fulla2 is a bit more bright. Many people have said that the Fulla2 sounds just like the Modi/Magni stack (and that would make sense as it shares most of the same components).

Sorry for the wall of text but I hope it is helpful to you :)

Mar 29, 2017 at 5:44 AM Post #4,378 of 4,580

In the $200-300 range I would consider the Garage 1217 Polaris (SS) or Solstice (tube) for the K7XX, skip the DAC for now since your mobo sound is quite good.  The flexibility of theses amps will also be useful if you ever get other headphones since you can adjust the output resistance/impedance to better match the amp and headphone.

Mar 29, 2017 at 12:31 PM Post #4,379 of 4,580
  Hello all, long time reader, first time poster here. Just received my K7XX and they are a great step up ............
I want to spend money on a worthwhile upgrade, to something that has good synergy with these uniquely spec'd headphones.

Ok…I have a Bryston BHA-1 (currently listed at $1950) as my main head-amp but find the "synergy" with the K7XXx from my recently acquired and “extremely affordable” SMSL SAP II excellent, cannot say enough about this little amp powering the AKGs…highly recommended. https://www.amazon.com/SMSL-sApII-TPA6120A2-Headphone-Amplifier/dp/B00J2PJQ0O/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1490805239&sr=8-1&keywords=smsl+sap+ii

http://www.head-fi.org/t/743280/the-akg-k7xx-massdrop-first-edition-thread/4350#post_13329833

Mar 29, 2017 at 3:26 PM Post #4,380 of 4,580
  In the $200-300 range I would consider the Garage 1217 Polaris (SS) or Solstice (tube) for the K7XX, skip the DAC for now since your mobo sound is quite good.  The flexibility of theses amps will also be useful if you ever get other headphones since you can adjust the output resistance/impedance to better match the amp and headphone.

The Polaris looks like a great unit. Love the 5 year warranty and the pre-amp out so I have the option to upgrade to powered monitors at some point and run them through the Polaris. I've heard a couple of times that my PC might just be "enough" of a DAC - at the very least to get me started. I'm assuming I can just get a 3.5mm to RCA cable and use the Line Out on my PC to go to the RCA in on the Polaris? I could get the Polaris now with my budget and expand with a DAC of my choice at a later date if I really wanted to.

Not sure I want to do tubes just yet. I'd like to spend some money on a good amp and just be able to let it sit and do its thing. I am a tinkerer - but I'm not sure I'm willing to fall down the tube-rolling rabbit hole just yet!

Speaking of cables, I wonder if there are any good options to replace the stock cable on the K7XX. It's long! There's a basic black one on amazon, but does anyone have any tips for other custom cables?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back