The AKG K7XX Massdrop First Edition Thread
Mar 29, 2017 at 11:02 PM Post #4,381 of 4,580

Speaking of cables, I wonder if there are any good options to replace the stock cable on the K7XX. It's long! There's a basic black one on amazon, but does anyone have any tips for other custom cables?

I'm trying to score some K7XX's for a gaming headset and would like to know this as well. A custom cable in a shorter length would be awesome and I'd love to give my money to someone on the forum who produces quality cables if anyone has suggestions. 

Mar 30, 2017 at 12:01 AM Post #4,382 of 4,580
Replacing the cables with an upgrade cable isnt hard becuse the default sucks. Just find a custom cable maker with a 1.5m cable terminated how you want that looks well made on eBay. If you want balanced you'll have to have your 7xx modified.

Mar 30, 2017 at 9:37 AM Post #4,384 of 4,580
Quote:
  The Polaris looks like a great unit. Love the 5 year warranty and the pre-amp out so I have the option to upgrade to powered monitors at some point and run them through the Polaris. I've heard a couple of times that my PC might just be "enough" of a DAC - at the very least to get me started. I'm assuming I can just get a 3.5mm to RCA cable and use the Line Out on my PC to go to the RCA in on the Polaris? I could get the Polaris now with my budget and expand with a DAC of my choice at a later date if I really wanted to.

Not sure I want to do tubes just yet. I'd like to spend some money on a good amp and just be able to let it sit and do its thing. I am a tinkerer - but I'm not sure I'm willing to fall down the tube-rolling rabbit hole just yet!

Speaking of cables, I wonder if there are any good options to replace the stock cable on the K7XX. It's long! There's a basic black one on amazon, but does anyone have any tips for other custom cables?

I've built my own cable for the K7XX, used Mogami wire with Neutrik 3 pin mini-XLR and a cheap 3.5mm+1/4" adapter.  For my use I need a long cable, 8 to 10ft for my listening area but I like a light and flexible cable so the one that I built is both light and flexible.

Mar 30, 2017 at 2:36 PM Post #4,385 of 4,580
  I've built my own cable for the K7XX, used Mogami wire with Neutrik 3 pin mini-XLR and a cheap 3.5mm+1/4" adapter.  For my use I need a long cable, 8 to 10ft for my listening area but I like a light and flexible cable so the one that I built is both light and flexible.

That cable looks great man. What Mogami wire did you use?

Mar 30, 2017 at 2:49 PM Post #4,387 of 4,580

Thanks for the info! I'll take a look. Will give me a reason to buy a decent soldering stating. 

Also, I dig the avatar! You stoked for D2?

Yeah, making your own stuff is a slippery slope.  I bought a new soldering station, a mini heat gun for shrink tube, and tons of wire.  Some of the silver and SPC wire is insanely expensive, but very nice.

And yeah, just watched the trailer - I can't wait.  But before then I still have 2 more characters to visit the new Crota with....

Mar 30, 2017 at 8:33 PM Post #4,390 of 4,580
Just plugged my K7XX's in after a long hiatus. Cued up some classical music (Stravinsky if you're interested). Wow. I forgot how these things sound stage -- and the detailed presentation. Nice!

For those looking for amps, I vote class A :)

Mar 31, 2017 at 3:12 AM Post #4,391 of 4,580
Had a pair of K7XX's lined up to buy on Craigslist and the dude is about as flaky as it gets. Won't even respond to me at this point. Told me to come on Monday, doesn't respond to me, and then texts me at 9:30pm and says, "I'm home for the rest of the day." What rest of the day?

Anyways, if someone happens to be reading this and is bored with theirs, I'm in need of a new gaming headset and really looking forward to getting my hands on some K7's. 

Mar 31, 2017 at 3:15 AM Post #4,392 of 4,580
  Had a pair of K7XX's lined up to buy on Craigslist and the dude is about as flaky as it gets. Won't even respond to me at this point. Told me to come on Monday, doesn't respond to me, and then texts me at 9:30pm and says, "I'm home for the rest of the day." What rest of the day?

Anyways, if someone happens to be reading this and is bored with theirs, I'm in need of a new gaming headset and really looking forward to getting my hands on some K7's. 

Perhaps they have a late shift lol.

Mar 31, 2017 at 6:42 AM Post #4,394 of 4,580

They were on Massdrop for all of march IIRC, sorry, just checked and they are not available now.

Did you check the FS thread?

Mar 31, 2017 at 11:49 AM Post #4,395 of 4,580
  They were on Massdrop for all of march IIRC, sorry, just checked and they are not available now.

Did you check the FS thread?

Yeah, I'd rather pick them up used if possible. Try to save some money.

I've been checking Craigslist, eBay, Head-Fi, /r/avexchange, and Super Best, daily. Something is bound to pop up!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back