The AKG K7XX Massdrop First Edition Thread
Feb 16, 2017 at 7:15 PM Post #4,351 of 4,580
So if you just want to use your DAP's (iPod - 7th gen and Sony NWZ-A17), with no amp these phones are a no go?  I currently have M50X's, P5's (1st gen) and HD598C's and my DAP's run them fine.  Sony volume stays at 12 out of 30 and the ipod runs at about 60% (no EQ).

I am thinking about trying out open back phones.  Most of my music is rock, but I have discovered jazz in the last year and a half.

Thanks for any input!

Shane D

Feb 23, 2017 at 7:16 PM Post #4,353 of 4,580
  So these are on sale on MassDrop still, are they worth it to pick up?

I'm just debating on my usage for open back headphones.

If you have a pretty good amp, definitely worth picking up. I use mine with a Schiit Vali 2 and it sounds great. I even prefer it to my Fostex T50rp MK3 sometimes, depending on what I'm listening to.

Feb 26, 2017 at 10:50 AM Post #4,355 of 4,580
Hey,

the K7XXs arrived after 5 days and burned them in for like 80 hours. Powering them directly through the headphone jack of the z170 pro gaming mb I currently have. I can't go over 60% volume with it.

The headphones are pretty much best I've had so far (and had a few pairs so far).

Currently bidding on some used modi 2 uber and magni 2 on ebay, maybe I get lucky.

Cheers

Feb 26, 2017 at 1:44 PM Post #4,356 of 4,580
Hey,

the K7XXs arrived after 5 days and burned them in for like 80 hours. Powering them directly through the headphone jack of the z170 pro gaming mb I currently have. I can't go over 60% volume with it.

The headphones are pretty much best I've had so far (and had a few pairs so far).

Currently bidding on some used modi 2 uber and magni 2 on ebay, maybe I get lucky.

Cheers
Or check out the fulla 2

Feb 26, 2017 at 6:08 PM Post #4,357 of 4,580
  Hey,

Cheers

I would look at Vali2 over the Magni2 for the K7XX, a better match IMO, or if you can go up more in budget look at the Project Solstice from Garage 1217, much more flexible amp

Feb 27, 2017 at 3:46 PM Post #4,358 of 4,580
Hey,

Won the Modi 2 Uber + Magni 2 Uber auction.

Also bidding on a Vali 2 and will try to win that too and see which one I like more.

Thanks a lot for the tips!

p.s. anyone know how to exactly remove the pads from the K7xx (twist counter clockwise or just gently pull off?)

Cheers

Feb 27, 2017 at 6:11 PM Post #4,359 of 4,580

Quote:
  Hey,

Won the Modi 2 Uber + Magni 2 Uber auction.

Also bidding on a Vali 2 and will try to win that too and see which one I like more.

Thanks a lot for the tips!

p.s. anyone know how to exactly remove the pads from the K7xx (twist counter clockwise or just gently pull off?)

Cheers

Twist to remove the ear pads:

Mar 6, 2017 at 4:13 PM Post #4,361 of 4,580
While looking for Binaural music on youtube I found this binaural video of 2017 F1 testing in Barcelona and its one of the coolest audio expereinces I've ever heard. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fg-mgA9g3bY I'm listening on my AKG K7XX. 

Mar 10, 2017 at 1:59 PM Post #4,362 of 4,580
Believe it has been mentioned elsewhere but I can attest that for those looking for an affordable high quality "little" desktop amp to adequately power your K7XXs…just discovered this guy…the SMSL SAP II Pro

.....IMHO a phenomenal little amp that power these AKGs with aplomb…there is just that certain synergy.....
wink.gif

Mar 10, 2017 at 4:20 PM Post #4,363 of 4,580
  Believe it has been mentioned elsewhere but I can attest that for those looking for an affordable high quality "little" desktop amp to adequately power your K7XXs…just discovered this guy…the SMSL SAP II Pro

.....IMHO a phenomenal little amp that power these AKGs with aplomb…there is just that certain synergy.....
wink.gif

Very nice!
I've heard the SMSL M3 is a pretty good DAC/AMP too.
And I have an SMSL M8 on order.

Another great combo is the Topping D30/A30, there are few reviews but it seems to be very quality!

Mar 19, 2017 at 9:01 PM Post #4,365 of 4,580
  Has anyone here had an issue with the K7XX plastic sliders snapping? I've been starting to hear of it happening to some of the AKG headphones after 2years.

Does it affect anything alot if they do break?

I've had my K701s (built in Austria) brake fairly soon after I've had them, but this was over ten years ago. It had no effect on the functionality of the headphones though. But I wish manufacturers would stop using cheap plastic for things like that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back