The AKG K7XX Massdrop First Edition Thread
Jul 5, 2016 at 9:14 PM Post #4,021 of 4,580
  Your DAP will drive them to fairly high volume levels, but I can't say if the sound will be to your liking since I have never used a AK240 DAP.  While I've only heard the K/Q 701 once and it was a while ago, they were lean/thin and bright sounding to me, the K7XX is a lot better in that regard.  Never noticed any changes in the sound over time, mine have a least 500+ hours on them.

Thank you for your reply.
k701smile.gif

Jul 5, 2016 at 9:40 PM Post #4,022 of 4,580
Looking forward to receiving my Red editions at the end of this month.

I purchased the K701s when they first came out 10+ years ago. I really tried to like them but they were just too bright sounding with music that had any complexity to it. I followed the advice of members here and kept putting more and more time on them eventually exceeding 500 hours, but they continued to be uncomfortably bright to me, so I sold them.

My hope is the 7XX provides all the benefits of the 701 design with a more neutral top end. I also hope the amp in my 240SS is sufficient to drive them.

Congrats on your decision, and I hope they work out better than you expect!

Jul 5, 2016 at 10:48 PM Post #4,025 of 4,580
That's would be pretty long for me as I will only have 5 hours a day at max to listen to music.

But how does it compare,  new to burned-in? In my case it felt like everything was a bit more muffled when the cans were brand new. It isn't huge, but the mids seemed to have changed the most.

Jul 5, 2016 at 11:00 PM Post #4,026 of 4,580
Everyone has different opinions on burn-in. Some say it exists. Some say it is purely psychological. Some say it's a bit of both. Some say it takes X hours. Some say X times 10 hours. Some say use a mix of music. Others say it has to be some particular white or pink noise track. I personally think that burn-in continues to happen over the life of a headphone or speaker, but with more happening right away and decreasing over time logarithmically. So I don't worry about more than 10 hours.

But that's no more valid an explanation than anyone else's, so you should not listen to me. My advice is do what you want and not worry about it and listen to them along the way as much as you want :)

Jul 5, 2016 at 11:11 PM Post #4,027 of 4,580
Yep I'm not 100% for burn in but after the moment of purchase I could hear the difference between my friend well-used pair and mine. It was extremely subtle, perhaps 5% max but I think it's there.

I mostly buy used stuffs to save money but when I do buy new (which was most often when I first started this expensive hobby) some of my headphones had burn-in, others did not. So I guess there's just no completely valid explanation after all.

Jul 6, 2016 at 7:22 AM Post #4,028 of 4,580

AKGs typically do have a long burn in, don't they?

Jul 6, 2016 at 7:24 AM Post #4,029 of 4,580
Could be merely psychological, but for me I needed to wrap the headphones in foam, put them in a cabinet, with Mahler's 1st playing on repeat for a week.

Gosh, maybe my wife is right - I am crazy! :)

Jul 6, 2016 at 1:46 PM Post #4,030 of 4,580
Quick question: Can you do a bass mod on these, a la Q701?

I realize AKG is not a 'bass' headphone, and I either wouldn't do it or would try it and revert back, but I'm just curious.

Jul 6, 2016 at 1:53 PM Post #4,031 of 4,580

I realize AKG is not a 'bass' headphone, and I either wouldn't do it or would try it and revert back, but I'm just curious.

Yes. I have never done it, but if you search this thread, you'll find people discussing it.

Jul 6, 2016 at 9:59 PM Post #4,032 of 4,580
Could be merely psychological, but for me I needed to wrap the headphones in foam, put them in a cabinet, with Mahler's 1st playing on repeat for a week.

Gosh, maybe my wife is right - I am crazy! :)

High five as my wife said the same 
k701smile.gif

I do think that after you've tried the k7xx you won't think of that again. As much as I love bass I don't think there should be any reason to do that. The k7xx is the most perfectest akg #7 ever!

Jul 6, 2016 at 10:39 PM Post #4,033 of 4,580
  High five as my wife said the same 
k701smile.gif

I do think that after you've tried the k7xx you won't think of that again. As much as I love bass I don't think there should be any reason to do that. The k7xx is the most perfectest akg #7 ever!

Indeed the bass from the 7XX is considerable .  It is the upper bass mainly but I find it to be more than adequate bass.
There are various burn in discs available.  If you want to burn them in I would and have use such a disc on repeat if you are using CDs.   Cardas makes one available at Needle Doctor and Purist Audio maybe available at Music Direct. 
I noticed that there is a lot of burn in software around.  Some directed searches should yield what you want.

Jul 7, 2016 at 3:43 AM Post #4,035 of 4,580
  While I don't usually believe in burn-in, wouldn't just playing music be sufficient to break in the drivers?

In theory you should use music that spans across all frequencies. So depends on your taste the break-in process may or may not give the best result.

That said I've heard somewhere that burn-in software can break (not break-in) your headphones as well. Also, I'd never leave my amp, dac or headphones for more than 5 hours straight like some people would do when burning in their software.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back