The AKG K7XX Massdrop First Edition Thread
Apr 1, 2016 at 4:35 AM Post #3,706 of 4,580
In his recommendations subreddit Zeos also claims that the Audio-Technica AD series has a narrow soundstage. The legendary AD700/AD700x has a narrow soundstage??? Dude must be high or something...

Apr 1, 2016 at 11:11 AM Post #3,709 of 4,580
  Thanks guys on the feedback. I now got my Fidelio X2's to sound better (to my taste) Using Equalizer APO. The program is kind of screwed, sometimes the settings won't update etc. Really getting me annoyed. ^^ But really glas I now like the sound of my Fidelio X2's.

Compared to K7XX and the DT 880's, how do you think the X2's will compare, durability (How long they will last before breaking) :) I saw someone where the screws came off on the Fidelio X2. But alot of metal = durability?? D: DT 880 is german made, so they will last long? :)

Thanks for any help regarding this. :)

That's a good question. 
Also quite interested how K7xx compares to K701. I've really enjoyed K701, at recent meet, so:
DT880 vs K712 vs K7xx vs X2
Anyone?

Apr 1, 2016 at 1:52 PM Post #3,710 of 4,580
That's a good question. 
Also quite interested how K7xx compares to K701. I've really enjoyed K701, at recent meet, so:
Anyone?

From what I recall reading
K702 is better than k701, K702 anniversary edition is better than k702, and k7xx is k702 Ani drivers + q701 pads.
What that equates to in sound what specifically is better? I am not sure.

Apr 1, 2016 at 3:14 PM Post #3,712 of 4,580
  That's a good question. 
Anyone?

I'm looking through the excact same pairs. I'm thinking about ordering the DT 880's. I already have the K7XX and K702 on the way. Much money spend on sending back and fourth, yaaay. No stores to try the stuff in. :frowning2:

Apr 1, 2016 at 11:12 PM Post #3,713 of 4,580
Zeos isn't the be all end all. On the contrary, he frequently goes against the gain :wink:. Most people who've owned both will say the opposite, that the K7XX has less bass and a wider soundstage than the Fidelio X2.

Zeos never had any credibility with me because he records demos of speakers--and even comparisons of speakers--as if they are useful evidence to support his opinions, and it seems with the intent that people could listen to the youtube videos and judge for themselves. There is just so much wrong with that. It really demonstrates a real lack of basic understanding of how audio works.

Apr 1, 2016 at 11:19 PM Post #3,714 of 4,580
Zeos never had any credibility with me because he records demos of speakers--and even comparisons of speakers--as if they are useful evidence to support his opinions, and it seems with the intent that people could listen to the youtube videos and judge for themselves. There is just so much wrong with that. It really demonstrates a real lack of basic understanding of how audio works.

In referring to the headphone demos, even though the actual quality would not be demoable that way there would be (or should be) differences if comparing the demos he has done. So in theory it isn't completely useless but the speaker demos seem rather useless since there is far less to actually a/b them to.

Apr 1, 2016 at 11:45 PM Post #3,715 of 4,580
In his recommendations subreddit Zeos also claims that the Audio-Technica AD series has a narrow soundstage. The legendary AD700/AD700x has a narrow soundstage??? Dude must be high or something...

I have the old Audio Technica AD700, the originals with the purple metal and I will just say that they have the widest soundstage of anything I have ever heard.  I went to a meet in Michigan last week and none of the many high end sets I tried could match them in the soundstage area, probably helped by their lack of bass and forward mids.

Apr 1, 2016 at 11:54 PM Post #3,716 of 4,580
  Z Review wrote in his recommendations that these headphones have more bas then the Fidelio X2's?

The X2's have a good amount more bass in my opinion than the K7XX and the K7XX has a smaller advantage in the soundstage area over the X2's.  You need to listen to both for longer than he does for a review but it becomes clear after a while.

Apr 2, 2016 at 2:12 PM Post #3,717 of 4,580
In referring to the headphone demos, even though the actual quality would not be demoable that way there would be (or should be) differences if comparing the demos he has done. So in theory it isn't completely useless but the speaker demos seem rather useless since there is far less to actually a/b them to.

I didn't realize he has headphone demos for people to listen to. That's just dumb, too. There is a reason why major online publications like Innerfidelity or Stereophile don't offer recordings of speakers and headphones like this. The information it provides is almost useless, and more likely to mislead than help one to make a good purchase decision. Measurements are way more reliable.

Apr 3, 2016 at 3:48 AM Post #3,720 of 4,580
What's an upgrade cable?

Something like that: 
http://www.q-audio.com/home/
plussoundaudio.com
http://www.norneaudio.com
http://btg-audio.com

and many others.

Example: Q-Audio: Second area you can choose your cable for your AKG singe sided entry. I have a Q-audio french silk cable for my LCD-2 and the quality and comfort is amazing (I got it for free when I bought the used LCD-2), however, paying more for the cable than the headphone - hmmmm. It has the perfect length for my purpose. 

"upgrade" cables come in many different price ranges. Some people say they change the sound of the headphones - for some it's just the "proper" cable (coiled, straight, length, termination balanced or 3.5mm, 6.35mm etc.).

Technically not all "upgrade" cables are actual upgrades to the stock cable. I would rather call it "aftermarket' cables.

Cheers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back