The AKG K7XX Massdrop First Edition Thread
Jan 12, 2016 at 6:12 AM Post #3,376 of 4,580
  Just did the bass port mod on my K7XX's and am curious who else has done it and what there feelings are?

i did it a few days ago too, i wanted a tad more bass impact and ended up with more bass but not as tight as before. I might try putting the sticker back on and making a tiny hole in it, but if that doesnt work im okay with it as it is now too i think. 

Jan 12, 2016 at 9:09 AM Post #3,378 of 4,580
I have tried a number of flagship headphones over the years.  None of them worked for me.  I still have my 2006 K701s and a more recent HD650.  That's all I use.  However, since my K701s are held together with Duct Tape, I may break for this model, if it is still around, these days.

Jan 12, 2016 at 9:28 AM Post #3,379 of 4,580
Hey guys, so I've been wanting to upgrade from my ad700s for a little as they are starting to give me issues and static in my ears, I think the cable is starting to go, at least that's what I hope it is and note my new creative x7 but it only started after I got that, or at least I started noticing it.

Either way I had been looking at the k712s for a while and was holding off hoping I could find them in sale for a good price or even but a used pair on here or ebay if it came down to it. I've been looking at the 7xx as well and with the drop happening I am very tempted to just pull the trigger and order them now. Will I be losing out of I go with these rather than the 712? Is it ever possible to get a new 712 for 200 or is 300 really the best price?

I'm so close to just buying the 7xx and I probably wouldn't notice a difference between then especially not having both next to each other to compare. The only thing that concerns me is the build quality of the 7xx. Many people on massdrop and other places report bad squeaking and even one side of the headphones stopping working within the first year. Does massdrop offer any support on these if you have issues early or are you sort of sol once you purchase it? I need advice!

Jan 12, 2016 at 12:31 PM Post #3,381 of 4,580
Well, I would "flip" it on Eby or something. But yeah I don't like it if people try to sell their stuff on discussion forums. But finally I got to play with my Ember last nigh and had a blast. Too cool to see how the little circuit adjustments affected the sound. I'm going to head back over to the Ember thread. I should add that my Creek OBH-21SE is clearly inferior to the Ember II and particularly with the HD600's. They just do not sound good on that amp, not musical at all.

Jan 12, 2016 at 12:35 PM Post #3,382 of 4,580
  Well, I would "flip" it on Eby or something. But yeah I don't like it if people try to sell their stuff on discussion forums. But finally I got to play with my Ember last nigh and had a blast. Too cool to see how the little circuit adjustments affected the sound. I'm going to head back over to the Ember thread. I should add that my Creek OBH-21SE is clearly inferior to the Ember II and particularly with the HD600's. They just do not sound good on that amp, not musical at all.

My experience with Creek OBH-21SE long time ago can corroborate your comments.  

Jan 12, 2016 at 3:16 PM Post #3,384 of 4,580
I have the k702 is the k7xx an upgrade or should I just keep using the my k702.

Part of me just wants to buy them just for the headband alone but is the sound worth it as well?

Thanks! 

Jan 12, 2016 at 4:53 PM Post #3,385 of 4,580

Part of me just wants to buy them just for the headband alone but is the sound worth it as well?

Thanks! 

My impression is that, randomly given a playing system, K7xx has a better probability to perform more satisfactorily than K701.  

Jan 12, 2016 at 5:45 PM Post #3,386 of 4,580

Thanks! 

There's also the possibility of modding the K701 to raise the bass response, tame the treble and increase the comfort which will bring it closer to the K7XX sound, possibly better.

1. Get a hold of some K7XX, K712 or Annie pads for increased bass.
2. Do the bass and felt discs mods with the stock pads (Details, use google translate)

About the headband, I dunno, more padding?

I'd do this before getting another pair.

Jan 12, 2016 at 6:16 PM Post #3,387 of 4,580
  i did it a few days ago too, i wanted a tad more bass impact and ended up with more bass but not as tight as before. I might try putting the sticker back on and making a tiny hole in it, but if that doesnt work im okay with it as it is now too i think. 

Really? I did't notice any change in tightness. Do you have any specific bass test tracks? 

Hey guys, so I've been wanting to upgrade from my ad700s for a little as they are starting to give me issues and static in my ears, I think the cable is starting to go, at least that's what I hope it is and note my new creative x7 but it only started after I got that, or at least I started noticing it.

Either way I had been looking at the k712s for a while and was holding off hoping I could find them in sale for a good price or even but a used pair on here or ebay if it came down to it. I've been looking at the 7xx as well and with the drop happening I am very tempted to just pull the trigger and order them now. Will I be losing out of I go with these rather than the 712? Is it ever possible to get a new 712 for 200 or is 300 really the best price?

I'm so close to just buying the 7xx and I probably wouldn't notice a difference between then especially not having both next to each other to compare. The only thing that concerns me is the build quality of the 7xx. Many people on massdrop and other places report bad squeaking and even one side of the headphones stopping working within the first year. Does massdrop offer any support on these if you have issues early or are you sort of sol once you purchase it? I need advice!

From every comparison I've read thus far the differences between the K7XX and K712 is negligible at best; I have seen a few K7XX going for $175 in places and its also driven the prices on the rest of the 7-series which is awesome too. I haven't had any issues with my pair and I'm pretty sure it was only like 9% of customers had problems just that everyone talked about those issues made it seem bigger.

There's also the possibility of modding the K701 to raise the bass response, tame the treble and increase the comfort which will bring it closer to the K7XX sound, possibly better.

1. Get a hold of some K7XX, K712 or Annie pads for increased bass.
2. Do the bass and felt discs mods with the stock pads (Details, use google translate)

About the headband, I dunno, more padding?

I'd do this before getting another pair.

Agree with the bass port mod and pad switch, if it was as drastic as switching the pads between my K612 and K7XX its worth it for sure

Jan 12, 2016 at 11:46 PM Post #3,388 of 4,580
Hey guys considering these headphones since I am honestly just tired of my bd dt 880 premiums hurting my ears after extended gaming.

I have a little dot mk iii will that have any issue powering these? Also does anyone know of a virtual sound setup for these cans plus my amp? Thanks

Jan 13, 2016 at 12:56 AM Post #3,390 of 4,580

The lowest price on Amazon for the K712 so far has been $288: http://camelcamelcamel.com/AKG-Over-Ear-Mastering-Reference-Headphones/product/B00E4WXWBE

So $200 for a new K712 is likely to never happen, well at least until AKG discontinues it and retailers put it on closeout pricing.
wink.gif

I have a little dot mk iii will that have any issue powering these?

OTL amps aren't really a great pairing for AKG K7-series headphones. It won't sound bad, but won't be optimal. Tube hybrid amps (like the Garage1217 Project Ember or Schiit Lyr 2) would be better.

Edit: or heck, for even cheaper options you could get away with either Garage1217's Starlight or Schiit's Vali 2, which are both way more powerful than the Little Dot MKIII into low-impedance loads (which the K7-series headphones are).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back