The AKG K7XX Massdrop First Edition Thread
Dec 7, 2015 at 8:38 AM Post #3,301 of 4,580
  Those peaks and valleys are important, you do not want a perfectly flat FR on a headphone.

well, yes. i didn't mess with anything else because i didn't start out on this to get a perfectly flat response. I did this because i was getting hit with some harshness on certain tracks and realised in the process that bumping the mids up a little was nice. It just so happened that the changes i made vaguely corresponded with some measurement graphs. 

i use the mid bump up eq constantly now, and if i hit some harshness i use another setting (the one i uploaded). :)

Dec 7, 2015 at 11:28 AM Post #3,302 of 4,580
Dec 7, 2015 at 1:07 PM Post #3,304 of 4,580
If you were going sans amp, or at least without an expensive amp (maybe the FiiO A3?), how would you guys compare the 7XX to the Grado SR 325e? I have the 7XX, but have the opportunity to pick up a the 325e at $170 new. I would have to sell my AKGs to pay for the switch. I had SR-80s before the AKGs and liked them, for what that's worth.

Dec 9, 2015 at 4:59 PM Post #3,305 of 4,580
  If you were going sans amp, or at least without an expensive amp (maybe the FiiO A3?), how would you guys compare the 7XX to the Grado SR 325e? I have the 7XX, but have the opportunity to pick up a the 325e at $170 new. I would have to sell my AKGs to pay for the switch. I had SR-80s before the AKGs and liked them, for what that's worth.

The 325e is easier to drive but K7XX is much more comfortable but @ $170 new for 325e that's a really good price, so if you liked the SR80 before I would say make the switch.

Dec 10, 2015 at 6:53 PM Post #3,306 of 4,580

I would not buy something only because it is for a good price.  You really should only be considering your former  experience with the Grado SR 325e and the Grado house sound VS the 7XX sound.  To me they are vastly different and I would stay with the AKGs  That's my preference, my taste, my choice, that is all, it is not a comment on value, or  bargain etc. If something is free but makes you miserable what kind of bargain is that in the end!. I'm sue you get my drift.

Dec 15, 2015 at 7:35 AM Post #3,307 of 4,580
Hey everyone, I recently departed with my K7XX. I still have my spare coiled cable that I bought from AKG parts department and no longer have use for it, so if anyone here is interested shoot me an offer through pm. I may also part with my boompro adapter.

The K7XX will dearly be missed :frowning2:

Dec 15, 2015 at 10:26 AM Post #3,308 of 4,580
Hey everyone, I recently departed with my K7XX. I still have my spare coiled cable that I bought from AKG parts department and no longer have use for it, so if anyone here is interested shoot me an offer through pm. I may also part with my boompro adapter.

The K7XX will dearly be missed
frown.gif

You'll REGRET IT!!! Jk, Jk
tongue.gif
. Good for you for thinning your herd. Let us know how your modded TH-X00 fills that void for you.

Dec 15, 2015 at 10:52 AM Post #3,309 of 4,580
You'll REGRET IT!!! Jk, Jk :p . Good for you for thinning your herd. Let us know how your modded TH-X00 fills that void for you.

I already am feeling a bit of guilt. :frowning2:

But then you remind me of what is to come and that makes me feel a little better. :)

Dec 21, 2015 at 7:31 PM Post #3,310 of 4,580
So how do these compare with the Sennhesier HD 598?

I have both plugged into my Grace 9xx so can switch between the two quickly. The 7xx is more balanced and resolving than the 598. The 598 is fun to listen to but you can definitely tell the mids are more forward. I hear things in the 7xx that I don't notice with the 598 and the soundstage on the 7xx is definitely wider. Much much wider if I don't turn on cross feed

The 598 was my favorite headphone for a long time. Even after I got the 7xx. It wasn't until I upgraded my amp that the 7xx really came into its own. The 7xx is noticeably quieter at the same volume setting and you have to bring it up 8-10 notches (from 42 to 48 or 50) to match the volume of the 598.

Dec 24, 2015 at 1:08 PM Post #3,311 of 4,580
I got the AKG K7XX a few months back on Massdrop and I have been listening to it with my iBasso DX90. For a $200 headphone, I can say that these are definitely worth the price and everyone should atleast check out the drop if it drops again... 

But, I've been wondering if I could improve my listening experience with an amp of any sort? If so, can anyone recommend me some?

Dec 24, 2015 at 1:14 PM Post #3,312 of 4,580
  I got the AKG K7XX a few months back on Massdrop and I have been listening to it with my iBasso DX90. For a $200 headphone, I can say that these are definitely worth the price and everyone should atleast check out the drop if it drops again... 

But, I've been wondering if I could improve my listening experience with an amp of any sort? If so, can anyone recommend me some?

With a source (dac, CD player ...) good enough, then a better, not too expensive,  amp such as Gustard H10 can definitely help. 

Dec 24, 2015 at 1:15 PM Post #3,313 of 4,580

I have to say that my Schiit Vali seems to pair extremely well with my k702s, if your looking for a fairly cheap desktop solution.

Dec 24, 2015 at 7:03 PM Post #3,315 of 4,580
  The K7XX pairs very well with my Sunrise III. It has no problem driving them and it's very resolving.

I am also using a Garage 1217 amp, the Ember II.  It is designed with tube rollers in mind but according to 1217an be used for several other duties, including things such  a tube buffer as an example.  The source is frequently overlooked element in your system. Using high quality source alone, can change your sound quality, as much as any other change you make.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back