The AKG K7XX Massdrop First Edition Thread
Dec 27, 2015 at 12:25 AM Post #3,318 of 4,580
Hey guys, I am currently running my K7XX's with a FiiO Olympus E10, and I know it probably super underpowering them, so I was wondering what a recommended upgrade would be. How much would I need to spend to properly run them? Is there anything in the $100 - $250 range? 

Also the part of the wire broke that goes into the headphones, and sometimes when I move my head, sound stops coming out of the left side, would the 2 year warranty cover fixing something like that, or would they give me a new pair?

Thanks!

Dec 27, 2015 at 12:40 AM Post #3,319 of 4,580
  Hey guys, I am currently running my K7XX's with a FiiO Olympus E10, and I know it probably super underpowering them, so I was wondering what a recommended upgrade would be. How much would I need to spend to properly run them? Is there anything in the $100 - $250 range? 

Also the part of the wire broke that goes into the headphones, and sometimes when I move my head, sound stops coming out of the left side, would the 2 year warranty cover fixing something like that, or would they give me a new pair?

Thanks!

Save a little more, at $315 or so hopefully you can buy a Gustard H10 from Massdrop. After swapping for better opamps, you can possess a very good solid state amp to go with you K7xxs for a long time. 

Dec 27, 2015 at 12:43 AM Post #3,320 of 4,580

Thanks!

That happened to me also. I took the cups apart and resoldered the connection

Dec 27, 2015 at 12:54 AM Post #3,321 of 4,580

Save a little more, at $315 or so hopefully you can buy a Gustard H10 from Massdrop. After swapping for better opamps, you can possess a very good solid state amp to go with you K7xxs for a long time. 

Hmmm, I mean I save all of my money so it wouldn't make sense for me to do that. I might change my mind though once I see it on Massdrop, will definitely keep my eye out for it, I'm guessing it must be really good at that price. For some reason I always thought you should buy really expensive headphones and an okay amp, but I am completely wrong haha. 

That happened to me also. I took the cups apart and resoldered the connection

I don't have a soldering iron, and wouldn't that void the warranty or something? I am going to talk to AKG and see if they can do anything for me.

Are there any other upgrades that would make them better or anything besides a different amp. I read about getting different cables, but I think it is only for if you have a VERY nice amp. Are there any pad replacements or anything?

Dec 27, 2015 at 1:37 AM Post #3,322 of 4,580

Thanks!

If you want to stay within or near that budget, good DAC/Amp options include: CEntrance DACport Slim (Massdrop only), Schiit Fulla, Micca Origen, Schiit Magni 2 + Modi 2 stack, O2+ODAC combo, CEntrance DACport HD...to name a few. I've used the Slim with the K7XX and found it a good pairing.

As for the wire connection issues, contact Massdrop and explore your options under warranty through them first. Many have received great customer service from them. Don't bother with pad replacements for these, unless you're having major comfort issues. Don't bother with cables unless you need something of different length or look. Try not to get drawn into unnecessary purchases of that sort.
rolleyes.gif

Dec 27, 2015 at 2:26 AM Post #3,323 of 4,580

Thanks!

I have a pair of k702s and they pair really well with my Schiit Vali, which is at the lower end of your budget. :sunglasses:

Dec 27, 2015 at 2:28 AM Post #3,324 of 4,580
I've got a pair of HD650s coming today that I will compare against the modded K7XX. Really a fan of my pair now after bass port modding them and removing the foam donuts. Through the NAD amp they truly come alive.

But the main gripe with them is the build quality. When I move my head they snap and crackle, which is not what I expect from headphones costing this much. I'm not expecting Fidelio X1/X2 built quality because let's face it, nothing can touch those for several times more money even, but I don't expect creaking just because they are made in China...

The headband hasn't softened up over time either as much as I'd like and most days I find myself needing to adjust them to get total comfort. I forgive all these due to the immense sound quality though. But With everyone raving about the 650s, I have to give them a shot.

Dec 27, 2015 at 12:59 PM Post #3,325 of 4,580
I got the AKG K7XX a few months back on Massdrop and I have been listening to it with my iBasso DX90. For a $200 headphone, I can say that these are definitely worth the price and everyone should atleast check out the drop if it drops again... 

But, I've been wondering if I could improve my listening experience with an amp of any sort? If so, can anyone recommend me some?

I have seen many replies to your question and IMHO all of those are very much worth a try, and i also would like to add the iFi iCan Micro to the list of the candidates, as it gives you more "flexibility" in case you want to drive also other cans.
But as I said: all of those suggested amps are worth a try as the last word is on your ears.
Find one or two good shops, brings your music and your cans there and try several amps in the price range of your budget.

Dec 27, 2015 at 2:38 PM Post #3,329 of 4,580

Smoother in what sense? The Q701 sounds so crystal clear to me right now that I'm unsure how a headphone could be smoother.

I'm guessing he's referring to the effects of the K7xx having a stronger bass response than the Q701.

Dec 29, 2015 at 7:47 PM Post #3,330 of 4,580
So massdrop told me that the part of the rubber that surrounds that wire where it goes into the headphone coming off is considered wear and tear, and is therefore not applicable for the 2 year replacement warranty. Pretty pissed off since I've treated them super nice, and some of the rubber around one of the wires wasn't made up all the way which is what is causing the sound to not come out of the left ear at most angles. I don't see how that can be considered wear and tear.

Pretty sad that I just got screwed out of a really nice pair of headphones that I've treated very nicely.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back