The AKG K7XX Massdrop First Edition Thread
Oct 27, 2015 at 5:01 PM Post #3,046 of 4,580
Call me ignorant but when I shop, I have to think about how much I pay for things. I start out with a price range that I can afford and then I just want the best thing within that range. That includes, in the case of headphones, sound quality, sound character, fit, intended use, build quality, convenience of getting and returning etc. But hey, many people here might be able to go shopping thinking that they want something "high-end, money doesn't matter". I seriously hope that this whole discussion has been people who just didn't understand they meant the same thing.

Oct 27, 2015 at 6:06 PM Post #3,047 of 4,580
Fixed my K7XX!

Not heard back from Massdrop still, so got fed up and decided to pop the covers off and have a look.

As you can see, the red cable solder has come off, it's a weak application of solder too, so with daily use the cup moving on the hinge has loosened the cable off the solder. Wouldn't have happened if they were made in Austria I bet?
Anyway, soldered it back on:

I think I will whip the red cable off both ends later and solder a thicker, longer cable on instead. I want to do the other earcup as no doubt the same will be the case in time with that.
For such expensive headphones (RRP), you expect far more from this kind of cost cutting.

Oct 27, 2015 at 6:14 PM Post #3,048 of 4,580
  Fixed my K7XX!

Not heard back from Massdrop still, so got fed up and decided to pop the covers off and have a look.

As you can see, the red cable solder has come off, it's a weak application of solder too, so with daily use the cup moving on the hinge has loosened the cable off the solder. Wouldn't have happened if they were made in Austria I bet?
Anyway, soldered it back on:

I think I will whip the red cable off both ends later and solder a thicker, longer cable on instead. I want to do the other earcup as no doubt the same will be the case in time with that.
For such expensive headphones (RRP), you expect far more from this kind of cost cutting.

Sweet. thats good to hear. Let me know if you experience any sound quality changed +/- from changing the wired and re soldering. I guess one way to find out is completing one side and comparting it to the other side before working on that haha.

Oct 27, 2015 at 7:18 PM Post #3,049 of 4,580
  Sweet. thats good to hear. Let me know if you experience any sound quality changed +/- from changing the wired and re soldering. I guess one way to find out is completing one side and comparting it to the other side before working on that haha.

Just done the one side for now as I checked the other can and that side has extra cabling for the cable socket and the inside cable has lots of slack. I tested out the sound though and honestly it's hard to tell if there is any difference. I used speaker cable for the faulty side and the length is too small to make a difference anyway really, so all is well I guess!

Oct 27, 2015 at 8:03 PM Post #3,050 of 4,580

Just done the one side for now as I checked the other can and that side has extra cabling for the cable socket and the inside cable has lots of slack. I tested out the sound though and honestly it's hard to tell if there is any difference. I used speaker cable for the faulty side and the length is too small to make a difference anyway really, so all is well I guess!

Sweet, thats good to hear, I was fearing the possible positioning of the cables might affect the dynamics of the air since its open back haha. Was prob over thinking lol.

Now im looking forward to the next drop haha, might change the internal wiring to some silver speaker wire lol cuz so little will be needed. You think that will have any impact on the quality of the audio?

Oct 27, 2015 at 8:05 PM Post #3,051 of 4,580
There's a piece of foam between the vent grill and the cup openings in that chamber anyway, so even if the cable being thicker makes sound bounce less effectively inside there, the foam absorbs it all anyway!

Honestly it won't make one bit difference, it's such a small length of cable that any difference noticed would likely be placebo.

Oct 27, 2015 at 8:09 PM Post #3,052 of 4,580
  There's a piece of foam between the vent grill and the cup openings in that chamber anyway, so even if the cable being thicker makes sound bounce less effectively inside there, the foam absorbs it all anyway!

Sweet, thats good. Definitely leaves room for modding! Do you think internal silver speaker wires will make a big difference to the quality of the audio? I was thinking along the lines of it being upstream to the source of the audio.

Oct 27, 2015 at 8:11 PM Post #3,054 of 4,580
  I don't think it will make any difference. You can try it and let us know though :p

I shall do so :D, now to wait for the next massdrop and then the shipments :*(

Until then, I ordered the superlux hd681 evo and will compare it to my current astro a50 headset and see if it is better. I will be speechless if the cheap headphone is way better haha.

At least the 681 evo will hold their own for competitive fps gaming until i get the AKG k7XX and then compare the two for that purpose.

Oct 27, 2015 at 8:54 PM Post #3,055 of 4,580
Call me ignorant but when I shop, I have to think about how much I pay for things. I start out with a price range that I can afford and then I just want the best thing within that range. That includes, in the case of headphones, sound quality, sound character, fit, intended use, build quality, convenience of getting and returning etc. But hey, many people here might be able to go shopping thinking that they want something "high-end, money doesn't matter". I seriously hope that this whole discussion has been people who just didn't understand they meant the same thing.

OMG, not again!

[...]

Wouldn't have happened if they were made in Austria I bet?
[...]

The exact same thing happened to my Austrian made K702. No big deal. Just a drop of solder.

Oct 28, 2015 at 1:09 AM Post #3,060 of 4,580
  Mine shipped!  Will arrive on 10/29.  I'll be pitting it against my DT 880. 

love to read what you think! fun comparison right there :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back