The AKG K7XX Massdrop First Edition Thread
Oct 20, 2015 at 12:44 PM Post #3,001 of 4,580
I was going to let this go, but I am unable to do so after reading again. As a person who speaks English as a native language, your reply is rude and uncalled for on a forum where the topic is just audio products. Nothing more than audio products and nothing important enough to go off like that. My apologies if I misunderstood your conversation as professional audiophile banter, but the reply seemed lo-fi in its intent.

Now, back to all things audio. Cheers and happy listening.

When one has to explain the same thing three times in a row on a board where many participants are not native English speakers, it's is not an unreasonable question. I am thrilled that you chose to address this issue in the course of your 22 posts on this forum, in lieu of discussing headphones. The posts you're referring to were audio-driven. Perhaps a better idea of the forum culture and composition could have spared you the time. Good luck.

LOL wow

If you don't think that there are more factors in appreciating sound and music than sound quality you are deluding yourself. The ultimate goal of this hobby is to enjoy sound more - if to you that's seeking the pinnacle of perfect audio replication, or if to others, to enjoying their music more - every preference is valid and legitimate because that is the purpose of this forum and this hobby - to enjoy sound more. Don't elevate yourself above others just because you think your reasons are more worthy.

At the risk of derailing, I like that the K7XX seem to have more of a bass bump than the normal K70x headphones, but it's triggering some treble sensitivity after a couple hours of listening. Anyone have similar problems?

Oct 20, 2015 at 12:48 PM Post #3,002 of 4,580
LOL wow

If you don't think that there are more factors in appreciating sound and music than sound quality you are severely deluding yourself.

Not sure where that came from, as such a thing was never even implied. The text you quoted said nothing of the sort. :confused:

As you seem to be a serious musical aficionado with a passion for the art, can you post a pic of your music collection? Here's mine:

Edit: pics

Oct 20, 2015 at 12:59 PM Post #3,003 of 4,580
LOL wow

If you don't think that there are more factors in appreciating sound and music than sound quality you are severely deluding yourself.

Not sure where that came from, as such a thing was never even implied. The text you quoted said nothing of the sort. :confused:

As you seem to be a musical aficionado, can you post a pic of your music collection? I'll be happy to post mine.

Edit: text

lol, and you talk to others like they're the ones speaking a different language.

Oct 20, 2015 at 1:09 PM Post #3,004 of 4,580
lol, and you talk to others like they're the ones speaking a different language.

No idea what this means, either. No record collection to post I see. Great.

Perhaps you'd like to tell us about how it's the music that matters once again.

Edit: Apparently you added more text to your original post, even including something about headphones. To respond, this facet of the discussion had nothing to do with preference; it was about classifying headphones based on their price and not on their sound. Ironically, I argued that the price is irrelevant; it's the sound that matters. Helps to actually read the thread.

At the risk of derailing, I like that the K7XX seem to have more of a bass bump than the normal K70x headphones, but it's triggering some treble sensitivity after a couple hours of listening. Anyone have similar problems?

Not me. They always sound relatively warm and forgiving.

Oct 20, 2015 at 2:33 PM Post #3,005 of 4,580
  Can anyone offer an opinion on the Philip Fidelio X2 vs AKG K7XX? The K7XX's are currently cheaper than the Fidelio X2's with the Massdrop deal, but I'm not a massive fan of the miniature 3-pin "XLR" jack as I had considered swapping my Antlion ModMic with the V-Moda Boompro, which requires a 3.5mm input jack. I'm replacing a pair of AKG K550's that recently broke. I was really fond of them for their clarity and leanness; they appeared neutral to me. However I always wanted a little more expansion in the soundstage and slightly more impact, something I felt was slightly missing due to the weak clamp of the K550's that leaked sound, as well as their closed earcups. The K7XX's appear to resolve these niggles.

I listen to many different styles of music, but I generally prefer clarity over impact as I don't listen to EDM or anything like that. I will be using the headphones for a variety of different purposes, but mostly for gaming and listening to music on my desktop with a NFB-15 from Audio-GD. I will also be using the headphones for watching films on my television set in another room. This is a slight concern as I feel like I really need another amplifier/DAC to enjoy cans of this calibre with my Blu-rays and Netflix. The audio from my television is usable at best. I might pick up a used Audioengine D1 and run the digital optical out to that and then plug the headphones (and speakers) into the D1. Any thoughts on this?

I think for your preferences, the K7XX will be a better choice. You said that you like clarity over impact and wanted a larger sound stage than the K550. The X2's have a lot of impact and their sound stage is decent, but not as large as K7XX. The K7XX aren't as lean and neutral as the K553 (which I own and is very similar to the K550) but it is much closer than the X2's. The K7XX is fantastic for gaming as well (I use them for BF4). They are also very comfortable for long sessions. 

I am currently running them out of the modi/magni

Oct 20, 2015 at 3:07 PM Post #3,007 of 4,580

I think for your preferences, the K7XX will be a better choice. You said that you like clarity over impact and wanted a larger sound stage than the K550. The X2's have a lot of impact and their sound stage is decent, but not as large as K7XX. The K7XX aren't as lean and neutral as the K553 (which I own and is very similar to the K550) but it is much closer than the X2's. The K7XX is fantastic for gaming as well (I use them for BF4). They are also very comfortable for long sessions. 

I am currently running them out of the modi/magni

I'm definitely leaning towards the K7XX for the sound signature they are said to have, but I might go for the X2's. I'm undecided as I may not be able to grab the K7XX's this cheap again, but the standard input and lower impedance of the X2's will mean I could take them anywhere and get the same results. I've also wanted to try the X1 for years for the reported immersion and fun so I'll probably be trying the X2's no matter what I go for next. I also need a replacement sooner rather than later. The Massdrop is said to ship on the 3rd of November, but there will be an additional 2 weeks for me as I'm in Ireland and they won't be shipped to me directly from Massdrop. I could get the X2's by next Monday. Hmmm... decisions. Thanks for the comment. =)

Oct 20, 2015 at 3:24 PM Post #3,008 of 4,580
I'm definitely leaning towards the K7XX for the sound signature they are said to have, but I might go for the X2's. I'm undecided as I may not be able to grab the K7XX's this cheap again, but the standard input and lower impedance of the X2's will mean I could take them anywhere and get the same results. I've also wanted to try the X1 for years for the reported immersion and fun so I'll probably be trying the X2's no matter what I go for next. I also need a replacement sooner rather than later. The Massdrop is said to ship on the 3rd of November, but there will be an additional 2 weeks for me as I'm in Ireland and they won't be shipped to me directly from Massdrop. I could get the X2's by next Monday. Hmmm... decisions. Thanks for the comment. =)

Yeah, the k7XX does respond will to amping. I did enjoy them without the modi/Magni but I like them a lot more after pairing them together.

I personally didn't really like the X2's. They sounded really 'thick' if that makes sense. You should definitely them a shot though. There will probably some K7XX popping up in the second hand market later.

Oct 20, 2015 at 3:33 PM Post #3,009 of 4,580
Yeah, the k7XX does respond will to amping. I did enjoy them without the modi/Magni but I like them a lot more after pairing them together.

I personally didn't really like the X2's. They sounded really 'thick' if that makes sense. You should definitely them a shot though. There will probably some K7XX popping up in the second hand market later.

I know what you mean when you say thick, and I'm not really a fan of it.

Oct 20, 2015 at 6:44 PM Post #3,010 of 4,580
I have a set of SR60s and HD580s. I prefer the Senns for the comfort, slightly more bass and larger soundstage. The Grados, however,seem to have more clarity which I like. Would the K7XX be that much better than the Senns or should I be saving for something like the SR325 or DT880?

Oct 20, 2015 at 7:00 PM Post #3,011 of 4,580
I have a set of SR60s and HD580s. I prefer the Senns for the comfort, slightly more bass and larger soundstage. The Grados, however,seem to have more clarity which I like. Would the K7XX be that much better than the Senns or should I be saving for something like the SR325 or DT880?

What amplifier are you using? Source and source material?

Oct 20, 2015 at 7:42 PM Post #3,014 of 4,580
  Can anyone offer an opinion on the Philip Fidelio X2 vs AKG K7XX? The K7XX's are currently cheaper than the Fidelio X2's with the Massdrop deal, but I'm not a massive fan of the miniature 3-pin "XLR" jack as I had considered swapping my Antlion ModMic with the V-Moda Boompro, which requires a 3.5mm input jack. I'm replacing a pair of AKG K550's that recently broke. I was really fond of them for their clarity and leanness; they appeared neutral to me. However I always wanted a little more expansion in the soundstage and slightly more impact, something I felt was slightly missing due to the weak clamp of the K550's that leaked sound, as well as their closed earcups. The K7XX's appear to resolve these niggles.

I listen to many different styles of music, but I generally prefer clarity over impact as I don't listen to EDM or anything like that. I will be using the headphones for a variety of different purposes, but mostly for gaming and listening to music on my desktop with a NFB-15 from Audio-GD. I will also be using the headphones for watching films on my television set in another room. This is a slight concern as I feel like I really need another amplifier/DAC to enjoy cans of this calibre with my Blu-rays and Netflix. The audio from my television is usable at best. I might pick up a used Audioengine D1 and run the digital optical out to that and then plug the headphones (and speakers) into the D1. Any thoughts on this?

The X2 will have a fuller overall sound signature with its mid-bass emphasis. The K7xx has better treble resolution and an overall sharper sound but very good linear bass extension with a subtle linear bass boost. Not going to sound as full as the X2. 

Both headphones are solid options. I personally prefer the K7xx regardless of price point due to my sound signature preferences.

If you like the K550, the K7xx will be a natural pick imo. X2 will have a more dramatically different sound signature focused more on the mid-bass than the treble.

I do think the K7xx will be a better option for you based on what you are looking for.

Oct 21, 2015 at 9:12 AM Post #3,015 of 4,580
  The X2 will have a fuller overall sound signature with its mid-bass emphasis. The K7xx has better treble resolution and an overall sharper sound but very good linear bass extension with a subtle linear bass boost. Not going to sound as full as the X2. 

Both headphones are solid options. I personally prefer the K7xx regardless of price point due to my sound signature preferences.

If you like the K550, the K7xx will be a natural pick imo. X2 will have a more dramatically different sound signature focused more on the mid-bass than the treble.

I do think the K7xx will be a better option for you based on what you are looking for.

Yeah, I ended up jumping on the K7XX's at the last second. Only a few left in the Massdrop. You know what, though, I might still also buy the X2's. It's a lot of money, along with the NFB-15 I just bought, but with a decent amp/DAC for my television, I'd be set, especially if I could fix my K550's. I'd have a bit of everything then. I don't use portable headphones so I'll probably sell my Sony's. I'd still like to try the Beyer T51P on-ear style of headphones, but that would be purely for fun later on down the road.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back