The AKG K7XX Massdrop First Edition Thread
Apr 29, 2015 at 11:29 AM Post #2,236 of 4,580
  Sorry to have to do this: We had a member who has been buying up K7XXs and flipping them on Audiogon for a profit, which is an abuse of our community.  If anyone decides to sell theirs, please do let me know if you get a PM from a new member (just report the PM) and I'll double-check if it is them. 
beerchug.gif

Wow! Stuff like this just burns me. It's unfair to everybody! I'm glad you caught whoever it was and took care of it. Good thing I never go over to places like Audiogon.

Apr 29, 2015 at 12:22 PM Post #2,239 of 4,580
@Wildcatsare1
, the k7xx are pretty easy to drive (sensitivity: 105 dB/V, impedance: 62 Ohms). for my normal listening volumes, volume pot on the lyr 2 is like 9 o'clock for the k7xx and 11 o'clock on the HE-560. the k7xx are terminated with a 1/8" plug with screw-on 1/8" to 1/4" adapter.

overall, the k7xx and he-560 have extremely similar sound signatures. Both very well-balanced natural sounding headphones (imo). I tend to think of the K7xx as a budget HE-560. the k7xx has a crispy airy treble similar to the he-560's presentation. Great treble detail and clarity and clean midrange that sounds tonally correct to my ears.

some of the more noticeable differences is that the bass is much tighter on the HE-560 and the HE-560 has lower bass extension. The HE-560's bass is more linear as well. There is a lil more bloom and reverb with the bass on the K7xx and the really low sub-bass is a bit recessed in comparison to the rest of the bass on the K7xx. A subtle mid-to-upper bass emphasis on the K7xx while the HE-560's bass does not have any particular regional emphasis. The HE-560 is faster with better transient response, more spacing between notes. The K7xx has subtly longer decay times when compared directly to the HE-560. I'd say that it has extremely good speed for a mid-fi dynamic headphone, but will notice improvements in that area on the really nice planars. Detail resolution is better on the HE-560 of course. Sound stage and imaging is pretty comparable on both, though the HE-560 would have the edge. The K7xx does sound just a tad bit grainer than the HE-560 in a direct side-by-side type comparison (edit: though this is extremely source dependent, I find the K7xx less forgiving and more prone to picking up noise/distortion with poor source files. on the biforst+lyr 2 combo, the k7xx sound extremely clean). In a direct comparison between the K7xx and HE-560, you can definitely notice the superior technical abilities of the HE-560, but the relative differences between them is not that large.

There isn't really any instance where I prefer the K7xx over the HE-560 and I do think the HE-560 wins in overall sonic performance. However, the performance per value on the K7xx is off the charts, so for people on a budget, I would highly recommend them. Extremely competitive sonic performance for its price tag. Hard to point out any flaws on the K7xx unless you do direct comparisons against some flagship headphones.

Though if you still have the HE-560, the K7xx may be redundant imo as they share a very similar presentation. I've personally found that I hardly use my own K7xx as I my primary headphones are the HE-560.

also, have some more detailed impressions of the he-560 vs lcd-x vs k7xx for metal in particular in my sig.

hope this is helpful. cheers

Having heard the HE-560 over two weeks and owning the HE-500, I really agree with everything here.

The only thing to keep in mind is that HE-560 is a reference-level headphone and the K7xx is not. But this was already acknowledged in the discussion of the price differences. But even disregarding price, the K7xx does bring a different approach to music than the planar. If you have not heard an AKG yet, they do have an idiosyncratic presentation of music that I appreciate having around. I listen to mine several times a week, and it is my number one reading headphone.

Edit: And it's also great for movies and gaming.

Apr 30, 2015 at 12:28 AM Post #2,240 of 4,580
How much can he possibly make per set? I find it amusing that people sink to such depths for $20 or $30.

A bunch of pages ago a posted a link to someone trying to flip the K7XX's for double the price, some people go for much higher than $30 with these scams.  

Apr 30, 2015 at 2:07 AM Post #2,241 of 4,580
  A bunch of pages ago a posted a link to someone trying to flip the K7XX's for double the price, some people go for much higher than $30 with these scams.  

Wow, why would someone pay that much for them? I would think that there aren't that many people who would even know what a 7XX is and yet not know about this website. I have been looking at this website for a long time for information, despite only recently joining. Perhaps their idea is to corner the market by purchasing all of the 7XX's they can to remove any competition. At the same time it means more for them to sell. For double the price I'd just get a 712, and I have to wonder how many people who know about the 7XX wouldn't think the same thing.

Apr 30, 2015 at 7:45 AM Post #2,242 of 4,580
Where I would tip my hat to the K7XX over the HE560 is breadth and depth of soundstage, otherwise the 560s are just that little bit better than them in every other way.

Apr 30, 2015 at 2:15 PM Post #2,243 of 4,580
Wow, why would someone pay that much for them? I would think that there aren't that many people who would even know what a 7XX is and yet not know about this website. I have been looking at this website for a long time for information, despite only recently joining. Perhaps their idea is to corner the market by purchasing all of the 7XX's they can to remove any competition. At the same time it means more for them to sell. For double the price I'd just get a 712, and I have to wonder how many people who know about the 7XX wouldn't think the same thing.

Take a look at Grado on EBAY, models no longer available selling for double their price or more, I always wondered who buys them?!?

Apr 30, 2015 at 3:47 PM Post #2,244 of 4,580
Take a look at Grado on EBAY, models no longer available selling for double their price or more, I always wondered who buys them?!?
at the prices people are asking for the hp1000, no one is going to buy them. but if I found a pair in good condition that was cheaper (even above original retail), I might buy them b/c the hp1000 are the best grados ever produced. I love those headphones. wish I had bought one 10 years ago when they were plentiful and cheaper.

May 1, 2015 at 5:08 PM Post #2,247 of 4,580
I can't answer your question about a forwarding agency I am sorry.
I have forgotten what I paid with the Massdrop I bought it with initially.  I am curious given all this question of a $20-30+ price they are being sold for.  I have no interest in selling mine so I am not asking to ask a certain price for them. I am embarrassed to be quite honest being such an  airhead.  It may be helpful to those who might be taken advantage of.
Can anyone remember the last Massdrop price?

May 1, 2015 at 5:33 PM Post #2,248 of 4,580
May 1, 2015 at 6:13 PM Post #2,250 of 4,580
  Ah okay, my apologies.

No worries! It turned out to be quite a lot of work on my end, so don't know if I would really volunteer to do such a large scale undertaking in the future anyway. International people can always hit me up privately if they need help with something.

Having lived abroad, I can totally understand what you guys have to deal with.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back