The AKG K7XX Massdrop First Edition Thread
Apr 10, 2015 at 10:45 AM Post #2,147 of 4,580
I have had amazing experiences listening to these headphones the last couple of nights on my Gustard H10. These headphones really are incredible.

Apr 10, 2015 at 12:32 PM Post #2,148 of 4,580
I am glad to see this kind of study.  The results aren't so wonderful but do explain my subjective thinking that the treble is rolled off, more than I remember my K701s were which had an analytical sound signature. They weren't nearly as edgy as I recall the Grados were when I bought the AKGs 7+ years ago.

Apr 10, 2015 at 2:27 PM Post #2,150 of 4,580
This has been asked a million times already but I still don't know for sure. I have an Aune T1... what's the best amp to compliment that DAC for these headphones?

the tq has a ss amp alrdy w its tube dac, u dont need to get anything else extra. ss amplifiers are generally attempted to be tuned towards transparency so you may not notice that much of a difference swapping around between amplifiers of similar quality.

Apr 10, 2015 at 2:49 PM Post #2,151 of 4,580
the tq has a ss amp alrdy w its tube dac, u dont need to get anything else extra. ss amplifiers are generally attempted to be tuned towards transparency so you may not notice that much of a difference swapping around between amplifiers of similar quality.
Yeah, I believe it sounds fine but I've heard that giving the K7xx more juice than what the T1 can provide brings out an even better sound.

Apr 10, 2015 at 3:08 PM Post #2,152 of 4,580
The K7XX bass is boosted ~4 dB over the K712 which is NOT a small difference.

For those finding the treble a bit sharp there's a simple mod that readily fixes it; behind the earpad there's a foam disc, you can use that as a template to cut discs (with the hole in the middle) out of wool fabric / felt and replace them, use 1-4 layers to tune the highs to your liking. It lowers the 2 KHz hump as well.
Mod courtesy of Tor4.

What I discovered this morning blew my mind when I sat down to watch my Sunday morning shows on Netflix. Not sure if the earpads finally broke-in, if the headphones "fully" burned in, or if trying out all my old cans changed my impressions of the K7xx... there was just some magic that I cannot explain. Until this morning, I was on the fence about selling these and passing them along to a new home... but just cannot see selling these with such synergy.

Keep in mind that Netflix boosts content between 2-4 KHz, maybe their recession at 3 KHz was filling up?, haha...

Apr 10, 2015 at 4:27 PM Post #2,153 of 4,580
I have had amazing experiences listening to these headphones the last couple of nights on my Gustard H10. These headphones really are incredible.

Interesting... I have not actually plugged my K7xx into the the Gustard H10 yet...been mostly using it with the Schiit Vali. 

They are most certainly excellent headphones, and even more so when you consider their price point and value. 

Apr 10, 2015 at 6:10 PM Post #2,154 of 4,580
  tyll's measurements for the AKG K7xx are up! http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/AKGK7XX.pdf

More bass apparently compared to K712, but I won't complain about it. I absolutely love the bass on my pair, hard hitting but no bleed and sounds clean 
L3000.gif

Apr 10, 2015 at 6:11 PM Post #2,155 of 4,580

More bass apparently compared to K712, but I won't complain about it. I absolutely love the bass on my pair, hard hitting but no bleed and sounds clean 
L3000.gif

Yup, and the bass port mod just brings out more subbass for ya!

Apr 10, 2015 at 6:15 PM Post #2,156 of 4,580
  Yup, and the bass port mod just brings out more subbass for ya!

Nah, the current amount of bass is just right for me. Good soundstage, forward highs, excellent bass. If this is how HE-560 sounds like, I probably shouldn't listen to it 
frown.gif

Apr 10, 2015 at 6:18 PM Post #2,157 of 4,580
  Nah, the current amount of bass is just right for me. Good soundstage, forward highs, excellent bass. If this is how HE-560 sounds like, I probably shouldn't listen to it 
frown.gif

I understand. However, I will say that with the bass mod my modded k7xxs are my favourite movies headphone now.

Apr 10, 2015 at 7:01 PM Post #2,158 of 4,580

For those finding the treble a bit sharp there's a simple mod that readily fixes it; behind the earpad there's a foam disc, you can use that as a template to cut discs (with the hole in the middle) out of wool fabric / felt and replace them, use 1-4 layers to tune the highs to your liking. It lowers the 2 KHz hump as well.
Mod courtesy of Tor4.
Keep in mind that Netflix boosts content between 2-4 KHz, maybe their recession at 3 KHz was filling up?, haha...

More bass apparently compared to K712, but I won't complain about it. I absolutely love the bass on my pair, hard hitting but no bleed and sounds clean :L3000:

You know, I actually had this assumption when I first got my K7XX but thought I was crazy (I really am, slightly :p). It had been quite a long while since owning the K712, and my ears were used to the K612 and HP200 (both brighter/drier than the K712). This is actually a very interesting find, and good to know, indeed. Bravo :)

Apr 10, 2015 at 7:28 PM Post #2,159 of 4,580

Mod courtesy of Tor4.

Given how much bass I get out of the K712 which outputs the most bass of my headphones and my headphones are on the warm to slightly dark side, the extra bass sort of worries me, I would like to try the K7XX though. I have done a variation of that mod(used K240 foam cut with holes with the stock foam stacked on top of it), really helped with the slight sharpness in the treble and the treble is more linear. I find the modded K712 sounds almost like a HD 600 on steroids, though it doesn't quite have that unique HD 6xx tonality. I do think the K7xx family of headphones probably have the best drivers of the mid-tier dynamics I have tried, they scale monstrously and change greatly from system to system, have excellent tonality, and respond amazingly well to dampening mods. 

Apr 10, 2015 at 8:12 PM Post #2,160 of 4,580
Given how much bass I get out of the K712 which outputs the most bass of my headphones and my headphones are on the warm to slightly dark side, the extra bass sort of worries me, I would like to try the K7XX though

I wouldn't characterize it as bassy, just warm. I have a modded T50RP that is very linear in the bass and the difference is not overly pronounced, in fact it can come as a bit thin with some music whereas the K7XX sounds right.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back