The AKG K7XX Massdrop First Edition Thread
Apr 3, 2015 at 7:22 PM Post #2,116 of 4,580
  Are there any tests showing one way or another that cables impact sound?  blind a b testing? 

no, there aren't any.

however, let's try to keep this thread on topic. if people want to discuss cables for the akg k7xx, perhaps make a new thread or post in the cables section. cable debates can get quite heated.

Apr 3, 2015 at 7:23 PM Post #2,117 of 4,580
i modded my k7xx to be balanced (shameless plug - it's for sale) and it sounds a bit better with the re-wiring and new cable. a bit more control on the bottom end and improved soundstage. but i'm not sure if that's a function of the cable or the re-wiring to balanced.

Apr 3, 2015 at 7:37 PM Post #2,118 of 4,580
  no, there aren't any.

however, let's try to keep this thread on topic. if people want to discuss cables for the akg k7xx, perhaps make a new thread or post in the cables section. cable debates can get quite heated.

I agree, I am simply trying to ask if anyone out there has experienced a simple cable upgrade that they think has improved the sq of the k7xx. In my mind, this is on topic. In my original post I indicated I only wanted responses from believers for a reason (to avoid the debate).

Also, it seems a tad unfair to the rest of us that you chose to enter the debate (first statement you make), then immediately try and shut it down.

Apr 3, 2015 at 7:52 PM Post #2,119 of 4,580
  I agree, I am simply trying to ask if anyone out there has experienced a simple cable upgrade that they think has improved the sq of the k7xx. In my mind, this is on topic. In my original post I indicated I only wanted responses from believers for a reason (to avoid the debate).

Also, it seems a tad unfair to the rest of us that you chose to enter the debate (first statement you make), then immediately try and shut it down.

not debating. just stating that there has not been a lot of research done on the subject on cable improvements. no successful blind tests for cable improvements published in the literature. that is just the current situation, not a debate.

I really do think you will get more helpful responses from cable believers only if you post in the cables section of the forums. I do think that considering the k7xx are inexpensive open headphones that are targeted towards budget-conscious consumers, it is unlikely many owners would have purchased a cable upgrade (considering that the cheapest audiophile-geared cables will run you $60-$100+ which is basically half the price of the headphones). Only DIY cables or ebay cables from what I've seen here. Hence, the recommendation to create a new thread or post in the cable forums. hope that was helpful.

Apr 3, 2015 at 7:55 PM Post #2,120 of 4,580

All cables are prone to interference and experience some sort of signal loss to some degree. Therefore it makes sense that a cable with less impedance and better shielding would perform better than the stock cable. I'm about to order one of those thin, $15 cables and I can assure you it will not sound as good as the one AKG provided.

With that being said if didn't have the urge to recable my K7xx in the future I would most assuredly be following the same path you are and be seeking the cable that someone could vouch for to say that it provides an improvement in performance.

That was sort of what my last post (rant) was alluding to. The better the quality of the cable the better the sound you will get, but who can show me the data?

Apr 3, 2015 at 7:56 PM Post #2,121 of 4,580
  I really do think you will get more helpful responses from cable believers only if you post in the cables section of the forums. I do think that considering the k7xx are inexpensive open headphones that are targeted towards budget-conscious consumers, it is unlikely many owners would have purchased a cable upgrade (considering that the cheapest audiophile-geared cables will run you $60-$100+ which is basically half the price of the headphones). Only DIY cables or ebay cables from what I've seen here. Hence, the recommendation to create a new thread or post in the cable forums. hope that was helpful.

Ya, that's a fair and helpful suggestion - didn't think about that. Will do, thanks.

Apr 3, 2015 at 9:24 PM Post #2,122 of 4,580

I believe a cable can make a difference and I own the 7XXs.  I have not done this yet  with my 7XXs but might consider it knowing  that cables matter. What that is worth to anyone is completely subjective.

Apr 3, 2015 at 10:10 PM Post #2,123 of 4,580
Can anyone tell if the K7xx  is named the "First Edition" because there will be MORE editions?(or at least a 2nd?)

Apr 3, 2015 at 10:27 PM Post #2,124 of 4,580
You lost me on the edition deal, i lnow for a fact the 701 and 702's are predecessor's to the 7XX's and therefore would be previous editions:confused:

Now for those of you about to have a tet-a-tet over the better/upgrade issue yes the factory cable can be upgraded and I'm sure there is someone who can confirm but patience is a virtue you Grasshoppers!

Apr 3, 2015 at 10:37 PM Post #2,125 of 4,580
Can anyone tell if the K7xx  is named the "First Edition" because there will be MORE editions?(or at least a 2nd?)

There were 6000 first editions that had serial numbers that have (almost) been sold. My understanding is there will be more but not numbered.

Apr 3, 2015 at 10:55 PM Post #2,126 of 4,580
Oh, I understand now! Like mant products I just call your six thousand first runs. Sad the next barck won' t be bumberd but you can always try to bag one of the 6000 run:wink: best of luck JBGood:smile:

Apr 3, 2015 at 11:09 PM Post #2,127 of 4,580
So further K7xx's will be the exact same headphone(appearance/specs/sound  etc) but just not numbered. Would that be accurate as far as anyone knows?

Apr 3, 2015 at 11:15 PM Post #2,128 of 4,580
  So further K7xx's will be the exact same headphone(appearance/specs/sound  etc) but just not numbered. Would that be accurate as far as anyone knows?

most likely be the same product except without the first edition tag. whether they will have serial numbers or a 2nd edition tag or something along those lines, don't think we'll know until the first new drop.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back