The AKG K7XX Massdrop First Edition Thread
Jan 28, 2015 at 6:20 PM Post #1,456 of 4,580
OK superballz, we need to all agree to dissagree. Do you think you could give it a rest now so we could get back on topic?

Jan 28, 2015 at 6:23 PM Post #1,457 of 4,580
I think the questions is, what did AKG do with the rattle in some peoples headphones. Are they replacing them, did you have to send them in to get fixed or does everyone had rattling headphones that they are stuck with at this point? I'd like to know as I just put in an order for them yesterday. If I get a pair that rattle and I cannot exchange them or have them repaired with some sort of partial return for inconvenience, I will be very very pissed.

Jan 28, 2015 at 6:25 PM Post #1,458 of 4,580
  You started they improved the QC for the second batch when they clearly haven't. MD will have to give exchanges to people because of AKG's screw up. Stop making false statements and tricking people into thinking the problem is resolved for the second batch when it is not. MD clearly saids that the QC problem wasn't resolved for the second batch because it was shipped before the problem was brought to AKG. This makes everything I stated above as the truth while everything you stated is just plain false conjecture.

hey superballz00,

at the end of the day, massdrop received 50 complaints about rattling issues out of an order of 1,500 headphones. that is only 3.3% of people having issues. there is not really a huge quality control problem.

hope this is helpful putting things into perspective.

cheers!

Jan 28, 2015 at 6:31 PM Post #1,461 of 4,580
  You started they improved the QC for the second batch when they clearly haven't. MD will have to give exchanges to people because of AKG's screw up. Stop making false statements and tricking people into thinking the problem is resolved for the second batch when it is not. MD clearly saids that the QC problem wasn't resolved for the second batch because it was shipped before the problem was brought to AKG. This makes everything I stated above as the truth while everything you stated is just plain false conjecture.

Lol I feel you pain, some people just can't read. I like how they are so hyped up on this product even overlook Massdrop's own public statement.

hey superballz00,

at the end of the day, massdrop received 50 complaints about rattling issues out of an order of 1,500 headphones. that is only 3.3% of people having issues. there is not really a huge quality control problem.

cheers!

Where are you getting your numbers from? No need to bicker they are just wrong. Did all 1500 headphones get sold and opened up yet?!

OK superballz, we need to all agree to dissagree. Do you think you could give it a rest now so we could get back on topic?

"Agree to Disagree" is rubbish... there is clearly one correct answer to this topic. There are number = fact, done!

Jan 28, 2015 at 6:36 PM Post #1,462 of 4,580

If you say so but it would mean one side is clearly wrong since we are dealing with facts and not subjective headphone impressions.

I think the questions is, what did AKG do with the rattle in some peoples headphones. Are they replacing them, did you have to send them in to get fixed or does everyone had rattling headphones that they are stuck with at this point? I'd like to know as I just put in an order for them yesterday. If I get a pair that rattle and I cannot exchange them or have them repaired with some sort of partial return for inconvenience, I will be very very pissed.

MD is eating the loss and will let you exchange it for another one. It is the only solution since AKG have been dragging their feet and told MD to tell people to hold off until they find a fix. It looks like MD might have gotten hosed by AKG due to the inferior product. There are multiple people that said their K701/K702 and Q701 don't have the cone breakup problem with frequencies under 50hz that the K7XX does at higher volume. MD should take care of you if you have a bad pair but it might take more than one try since I don't think they have opened the reserve units to test them. They will even pay for shipping.

hey superballz00,

cheers!

That number might be a lot lower since most people don't follow the discussion after making their purchase. It happens more in movies with low frequency explosions and rumbles. Just think of all the people that don't know about their defective cars or appliances until it is recalled.

Jan 28, 2015 at 6:43 PM Post #1,463 of 4,580

I believe it was a choice between a NIB replacement or a full repair (with matched drivers) for those with the issue, with shipping covered both ways.
I reckon there's actually a simple fix for most rattle issues, unless you manage to get one with a dented driver.
The rattling on my set actually disappeared after removing the earpads and blowing gently on the driver-might have been caused by some debris maybe.

Jan 28, 2015 at 6:47 PM Post #1,464 of 4,580
Just returned my HD 700's as I ordered these headphones, I just connected my beat studios in the mean time and OMG I forgot how horrible they sounded in comparison to my HD 700's. I am missing them already, I hope these 7xx's will fill the void for high quality open back headphones that my HD 700's just left. I still have a few days to cancel before I get locked into these as I am still interested in the Fidelio X2 and the DT 990's.

Jan 28, 2015 at 6:54 PM Post #1,465 of 4,580
  Where are you getting your numbers from? No need to bicker they are just wrong. Did all 1500 headphones get sold and opened up yet?!

Will at Massdrop released the numbers for users who contacted support for the rattling issue. Yes, the 1,500 headphones from the first batch drop should have been delivered. I believe $2,500+ were sold during the first drop. I obviously cannot comment on whether buyers opened & used them lol!

If you say so but it would mean one side is clearly wrong since we are dealing with facts and not subjective headphone impressions.

MD is eating the loss and will let you exchange it for another one. It is the only solution since AKG have been dragging their feet and told MD to tell people to hold off until they find a fix. It looks like MD might have gotten hosed by AKG due to the inferior product. There are multiple people that said their K701/K702 and Q701 don't have the cone breakup problem with frequencies under 50hz that the K7XX does at higher volume. MD should take care of you if you have a bad pair but it might take more than one try since I don't think they have opened the reserve units to test them. They will even pay for shipping.

That number might be a lot lower since most people don't follow the discussion after making their purchase. It happens more in movies with low frequency explosions and rumbles. Just think of all the people that don't know about their defective cars or appliances until it is recalled.

I think he is saying that we can agree to disagree as he believes that there is no real quality control issue, but you believe there is based on the same numbers.

Massdrop is not eating any huge losses. AKG will be repairing the defective units. If you followed the k7xx thread on massdrop, you will know that massdrop did indeed test many units.

Honestly, I believe the rattle issue is greatly overblown. On the actual discussion page, there was about less than 40ish different individual complaints & some users were complaining about things that weren't the "rattle issue," but were freaking out because of other users comments. If you have a real rattle issue, you will notice it as it occurs at listenable volumes with normal bass frequencies that is found in normal music. If you do not notice a rattle issue, most likely you do not have one! lol!!!

Jan 28, 2015 at 7:08 PM Post #1,466 of 4,580
  Will at Massdrop released the numbers for users who contacted support for the rattling issue. Yes, the 1,500 headphones from the first batch drop should have been delivered. I believe $2,500+ were sold during the first drop. I obviously cannot comment on whether buyers opened & used them lol!

I think he is saying that we can agree to disagree as he believes that there is no real quality control issue, but you believe there is based on the same numbers.

Massdrop is not eating any huge losses. AKG will be repairing the defective units. If you followed the k7xx thread on massdrop, you will know that massdrop did indeed test many units.

Honestly, I believe the rattle issue is greatly overblown. On the actual discussion page, there was about less than 40ish different individual complaints & some users were complaining about things that weren't the "rattle issue," but were freaking out because of other users comments. If you have a real rattle issue, you will notice it as it occurs at listenable volumes with normal bass frequencies that is found in normal music. If you do not notice a rattle issue, most likely you do not have one! lol!!!

He was saying that the QC was improved for the second batch when clearly MD stated that it hasn't since they were shipped before AKG got info on the rattle issue. That's why they reserved 45 HPs in case people need to exchange. MD is eating the shipping cost since that would be paid by the customer when shipping to AKG for repair. AKG also said they would most likely replace the defective driver and not replace it with a new set of HP. AKG said they will replace it with matched drivers but I don't have a lot of confidence in them delivering on that.

I'm actually more concerned about the cone breakup with lower bass at higher volume, causing a flapping noise, since it seems to be affecting every single one. People have said that they don't have the problem with their K701/K702 and Q701 at the same volume while the K7XX flaps alway at low as 20mw. I wouldn't have a problem if the older AKGs had the same characteristics or if the input power was higher at say 50mw. I mean AKG did state that these are rated for up to 200mw. I guess they mean that it won't get damage up to that point but can't promise about the sound coming out of them. This can be a problem in movies with explosions and rumbling since the LFE channel is a lot louder and go below the 30hz of most music.

Jan 28, 2015 at 7:13 PM Post #1,467 of 4,580

I contacted AKG about my headphones today.  They asked for a few things and sent me a "Service Reference Number".  Here is what was sent to me:

Thank you for contacting AKG Customer Service. Your Service Return Authorization (SRA) reference number is XXXXXX”. The warranty on AKG products remains in effect for 2 years from the date of original purchase.

AKG Factory Service lead-time on this model is currently 7 business days once received.  VERY IMPORTANT to clearly mark the package with your SRA reference number and return to the below address.

IMPORTANT INSTRUCTIONS FOR AKG PROFESSIONAL  FACTORY SERVICE

1. AKG Warranty covers all defects in material and workmanship.  The following are not covered: damage caused by accident, misuse, abuse, product modification, neglect or damage resulting from the performance of repairs by someone not authorized by AKG Professional. 

1. If you would like your repair to be considered for warranty repair please include a copy of your sales receipt. If no receipt is provided the repair will be considered out-of-warranty and subject to the repair charges above.

1. Please include a note with your contact information and a description of the problem or service being requested.

1. Shipping your unit with improper or insufficient packaging can result in shipping damage causing the unit to become un-repairable; road/flight cases are acceptable packaging for shipping.

1. AKG highly recommends that the inoperative component(s) be removed from the enclosure and be returned to both reduce the shipping expenses and to avoid unnecessary enclosure shipping damages.  AKG Professional is not responsible for the handling of accessories that are sent in with the unit; unless requested by the Service Administrator.

Jan 28, 2015 at 7:33 PM Post #1,468 of 4,580
He was saying that the QC was improved for the second batch

Umm, nope... I was not trying to say that. Money4me got my point. I agree in the numbers you are presenting, I don't agree that you can call that a major problem.

This thread is now totally hi-jacked by this disagreement. Can we get off this now or do I need to unsubscribe from the thread? Good grief superballz, don't ruin this thread for everyone please.

Jan 28, 2015 at 7:52 PM Post #1,469 of 4,580
Umm, nope... I was not trying to say that. Money4me got my point. I agree in the numbers you are presenting, I don't agree that you can call that a major problem.

This thread is now totally hi-jacked by this disagreement. Can we get off this now or do I need to unsubscribe from the thread? Good grief superballz, don't ruin this thread for everyone please.

I never said the rattle was a major problem. I just said that it was probably under reported because most people don't follow the discussions after making their purchase.

What good is a forum if you can't tell people the truth when other make stuff up to try to get people buy a product with misinformation? People can just go on the manufacture's website if they want to read glowing reviews about how good the HP sounds. I was simply answering someone who wanted to know if the QC was improved for the second batch before making a purchase. Another member wrongly told him that it has been improved when it hasn't. Just trying to give people info so they can make an informed decision.

Jan 28, 2015 at 8:04 PM Post #1,470 of 4,580
EVERY manufacturer has some degree of product failure.  The reason the 7XX has been a hot spot is because SO many owners bought the, a brand new product, in a relatively short amount of time AND had the concentrated social media to amplify their displeasure.  If Sennheiser, Beyer or Philips, etc. sold a similar limited edition run of 3000 units I can pretty much guarantee you that a tiny percent of the buyers would report some failure of the product, probably with a similar occurrence rate, and the forums would eat it up just as quickly.

Speaking of Sennheiser, Linus says the K7XX is almost identical, to his ears:  http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2bdps8_akg-massdrop-collaboration-k7xx-headphones_tech

Users who are viewing this thread

Back