The AKG K7XX Massdrop First Edition Thread
Jan 9, 2015 at 2:56 AM Post #1,201 of 4,580
I've been trying to track down options for different pads.  

[COLOR=454434]Harman Direct says they only offer part number "[/COLOR][COLOR=17365D]5021871                $47.55 each [/COLOR][COLOR=17365D]pad[/COLOR][COLOR=17365D]                 CUSHION, K 612,K 712,K702_Anniversary"

I have the K712 so I know that these are memory foam.  But if the K612 ships brand new with these exact same pads they would almost be worth buying just for the pads!  Amazon has the K612 on sale right now for $147.  I thought the K7XX were also memory foam?  Same as the K702/65?  Same as the K712?[/COLOR]

FYI, the K612 DOES NOT have the same pads. I used to own one, and had it side by side with the K712. I just want to put that out there before people get the wrong assumption. That labeling has to be a misprint on AKG's part.

Jan 9, 2015 at 3:29 AM Post #1,202 of 4,580
... i think the wider sound stage of the q701/k701 is more relative to the way their frequency response is tuned to be brighter which gives the illusion of a wider space.

There's plenty of headphones as bright or brighter than K70x headphones that don't convey a sense of wider space, not like what the AKGs do.  T90's soundstage is a little smaller for one, and that Beyer treble monster is brighter than anything else out there.

Jan 9, 2015 at 5:17 AM Post #1,203 of 4,580
Yes I believe all those models use memory foam earpads. K7xx is the k702 65th annies in all black. K712 is based on the 65th annies & they may just be the 65th annies in orange. Dont know if there are any other differences. The K612 pro just does not have a removable cable. Cool to know they all have the same parts. akg does have this habit a re-releasing basically the same pair of headphones over & over again. hahaha

K612 does not use memory foam pads like the K7XX's do.

Jan 9, 2015 at 8:12 AM Post #1,204 of 4,580

Yes I believe all those models use memory foam earpads. K7xx is the k702 65th annies in all black. K712 is based on the 65th annies & they may just be the 65th annies in orange. Dont know if there are any other differences. The K612 pro just does not have a removable cable. Cool to know they all have the same parts. akg does have this habit a re-releasing basically the same pair of headphones over & over again. hahaha

K612 does not use memory foam pads like the K7XX's do.

memory pad is made of gel, much more expensive

Jan 9, 2015 at 8:38 AM Post #1,205 of 4,580
Perhaps Harmon is cleaning up their parts inventory and only supplying the memory foam pads for all the K7--, K6-- line of headphones.

That works out to only one product on the shelves instead of several.

Jan 9, 2015 at 1:45 PM Post #1,208 of 4,580
hi everybody...!!

i've read about the driver rattle tens couple pages back... how do i know if a headphone driver rattles?
is it only rattle on low frequency? only on midbass or something?

or does it also rattle when male vocals sing?

Jan 9, 2015 at 2:05 PM Post #1,209 of 4,580
  hi everybody...!!

i've read about the driver rattle tens couple pages back... how do i know if a headphone driver rattles?

Go to the link in the post below. It doesn't need to be loud. If you have the rattle, you'll hear it.

Quote:
  Recived mine today. #15xx, and definitely has a very noise rattle in right driver on this test:

http://www.audiocheck.net/Audio/audiocheck.net_headphoneshaker.mp3

However dont hear it when music plays.

Shame on you AKG. :/

Jan 9, 2015 at 2:16 PM Post #1,211 of 4,580
Sounds like you're rattle free. When I did the test I heard the rattle at normal listening volume.

Jan 9, 2015 at 2:23 PM Post #1,212 of 4,580
  Sounds like you're rattle free. When I did the test I heard the rattle at normal listening volume.

is the buzzing on the background (buzz increasing in noise and then decreasing, like a mosquito). the recording sound?

that freaked me out than i should've.

what does the rattle sound like? not buzz? is it tak tak tak tak or something?

Jan 9, 2015 at 2:38 PM Post #1,213 of 4,580
Yes, the buzzing is part of the recording. The rattle sounds like a rattle. Do you have another pair of headphones or speakers? Listen to how the audio file sounds through different equipment so you know what's in the recording and what isn't. If you hear anything with your K7XX that you don't hear with your other gear, then it might be the rattle.

Jan 9, 2015 at 4:18 PM Post #1,214 of 4,580
  hi everybody...!!

IMO if you dont hear rattle during music and only during extreme testing that a product was never supposed to do anyways, it doesnt matter.

Jan 9, 2015 at 4:21 PM Post #1,215 of 4,580
  Yes, the buzzing is part of the recording. The rattle sounds like a rattle. Do you have another pair of headphones or speakers? Listen to how the audio file sounds through different equipment so you know what's in the recording and what isn't. If you hear anything with your K7XX that you don't hear with your other gear, then it might be the rattle.

only have el-cheapo speakers. i have grado sr80. ill try with that later. but since you've said the recording does buzz, im good...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back