The AKG K7XX Massdrop First Edition Thread
Jan 7, 2015 at 9:20 PM Post #1,186 of 4,580
Well, I would suggest checking the wire issue out. If you can hear it that audibly, then it's either a wire or a massive defect. My money is on a wire.

Hm, I've already tried poking the diaphragm with a q tip to let any of the wire loose and it didn't help. I guess it's probably safer to wait for an official response from AKG.

Jan 7, 2015 at 9:27 PM Post #1,187 of 4,580
Hm, I've already tried poking the diaphragm with a q tip to let any of the wire loose and it didn't help. I guess it's probably safer to wait for an official response from AKG.

You're joking right? Poking the diaphragm with anything is about the equivalent of shaking a computer when you get a bsod - Squat. The wire isn't necessarily up against the diaphragm as it could also be in a spot that's causing it to transmit the vibration to the housing. Either way, it has to be opened and the positioning checked. Adding something like a bit of tape to dampen the wire might be necessary in some circumstances where simply rearranging the wire isn't working.

If that isn't something you're comfortable with, then obviously send them back. If you have some DIY skills, then it's a simple fix. That video walks you through it step by step.

Since you fall into the former category, it's best you simply contact AKG/Massdrop to determine your best course of action.

Jan 7, 2015 at 9:33 PM Post #1,188 of 4,580
You're joking right? Poking the diaphragm with anything is about the equivalent of shaking a computer when you get a bsod - Squat. The wire isn't necessarily up against the diaphragm as it could also be in a spot that's causing it to transmit the vibration to the housing. Either way, it has to be opened and the positioning checked. Adding something like a bit of tape to dampen the wire might be necessary in some circumstances where simply rearranging the wire isn't working.

If that isn't something you're comfortable with, then obviously send them back. If you have some DIY skills, then it's a simple fix. That video walks you through it step by step.

Since you fall into the former category, it's best you simply contact AKG/Massdrop to determine your best course of action.

Sorry, I was reading through the Massdrop discussion thread and apparently doing what I mentioned fixed the issue for someone. Thanks for the explanations. 

Jan 7, 2015 at 10:40 PM Post #1,189 of 4,580
Thanks Cory...Happy New Year

Thanks! Same to you Peter.

I tried removing the foam disc before switching to the K701 pads. This will give change the sonics a bit for sure. In my set up, I preferred the K701 pads. Again, I was looking for a little more attenuatation in the bass and a skosh more treble. I have K601 pads here I've been meaning to try as well. YMMV.

I would say that my K7xx are a nice alternative to the HD600, providing a wider soundstage and better comfort. Personally, these are the most comfortable headphones on my head along witht the K601.

Jan 8, 2015 at 3:55 AM Post #1,191 of 4,580
Received mine two days ago in metro Australia.

S/N: 000185

Been burning-in by playing music at loud-but-listenable levels for at least 20 hours.

No rattle of any kind.

Coming from the DT880 250ohms, Soundmagic HP200 and Event 2030 monitors, I took the foam rings off.
Then immediately put them back on.

Jan 8, 2015 at 7:17 PM Post #1,193 of 4,580
While I prefer the sound without the foam rings, I do find the sound to be grating at times. How do the rings impact the sound.. is it the size of the hole or the thickness of the foam? I am thinking about cutting the hole to be larger if that is what impacts the sound.

Jan 8, 2015 at 8:13 PM Post #1,194 of 4,580
At some point I may try another set of AKG pads to improve the soundstage of the K7XX. I was looking at the Q701 pads, but am curious about the K701 pads. Are there any sonic differences between the two now - as opposed to the early production runs of the K701? What about material composition and comfort? Do the pads come with the foam ring insert?

In MLE's review it states that the Q701 is about 98% as good as the K701 for competitive, but the Q701 is more enjoyable all-around. Since I already have the K7XX, which is also more enjoyable all-around I'm not sure if I should get the Q701 or K701 pads. 

Jan 8, 2015 at 8:32 PM Post #1,195 of 4,580
  At some point I may try another set of AKG pads to improve the soundstage of the K7XX. I was looking at the Q701 pads, but am curious about the K701 pads. Are there any sonic differences between the two now - as opposed to the early production runs of the K701? What about material composition and comfort? Do the pads come with the foam ring insert?

In MLE's review it states that the Q701 is about 98% as good as the K701 for competitive, but the Q701 is more enjoyable all-around. Since I already have the K7XX, which is also more enjoyable all-around I'm not sure if I should get the Q701 or K701 pads. 

The K7xx memory foam pads are much nicer than the q701 earpads. in terms of sonic differences, i personally don't find swapping earpads to make that big of a sound difference (for me personally). ymmv

i think the wider sound stage of the q701/k701 is more relative to the way their frequency response is tuned to be brighter which gives the illusion of a wider space.

Jan 8, 2015 at 8:47 PM Post #1,196 of 4,580
  The K7xx memory foam pads are much nicer than the q701 earpads. in terms of sonic differences, i personally don't find swapping earpads to make that big of a sound difference (for me personally). ymmv

i think the wider sound stage of the q701/k701 is more relative to the way their frequency response is tuned to be brighter which gives the illusion of a wider space.

I was under the impression, from reading MLE's Q701 review, that the difference in sound was a result of the ear pads. 

"Update 3/5/2013: So it seems that the K702 Anniversary and Q701 are essentially the same sound-wise, the difference being attributed to the K702 Anniversary having memory foam pads that alter the sound. The new sound gives these headphones a warmer, thicker body, with bass that now meets the mids, for an even more balanced sound, though not as immediately airy as the Q701 pads.

If you happen to already own the Q701, you might want to invest on some K712 pads which will bring the sound to a new level, one I personally feel is superior in bass, balance, body, and fun. The K712 pads will still allow the Q701 to be very detailed, and amazing for competitive play, but with the added benefit of being more fun."

Jan 8, 2015 at 9:06 PM Post #1,197 of 4,580
That's because it is. The difference between Q701 pads and K7XX pads is essentially the difference between those two models, sonically speaking.

As for the K701, my review of that headphone is of the OLD 7 bump K701 which used different pads from the K702 and Q701. Nowadays, I believe both the newer 8 bump K70x as well as the Q701 use the same pads, making the differences either negligible or non existent.

Jan 9, 2015 at 12:48 AM Post #1,198 of 4,580

If you happen to already own the Q701, you might want to invest on some K712 pads which will bring the sound to a new level, one I personally feel is superior in bass, balance, body, and fun. The K712 pads will still allow the Q701 to be very detailed, and amazing for competitive play, but with the added benefit of being more fun."

I've been trying to track down options for different pads.  

Harman Direct says they only offer part number "5021871                $47.55 each pad                 CUSHION, K 612,K 712,K702_Anniversary"

I have the K712 so I know that these are memory foam.  But if the K612 ships brand new with these exact same pads they would almost be worth buying just for the pads!  Amazon has the K612 on sale right now for $147.  I thought the K7XX were also memory foam?  Same as the K702/65?  Same as the K712?

Jan 9, 2015 at 1:39 AM Post #1,199 of 4,580
I've been trying to track down options for different pads.  

[COLOR=454434]Harman Direct says they only offer part number "[/COLOR][COLOR=17365D]5021871                $47.55 each [/COLOR][COLOR=17365D]pad[/COLOR][COLOR=17365D]                 CUSHION, K 612,K 712,K702_Anniversary"

I have the K712 so I know that these are memory foam.  But if the K612 ships brand new with these exact same pads they would almost be worth buying just for the pads!  Amazon has the K612 on sale right now for $147.  I thought the K7XX were also memory foam?  Same as the K702/65?  Same as the K712?[/COLOR]

Yes I believe all those models use memory foam earpads. K7xx is the k702 65th annies in all black. K712 is based on the 65th annies & they may just be the 65th annies in orange. Dont know if there are any other differences. The K612 pro just does not have a removable cable. Cool to know they all have the same parts. akg does have this habit a re-releasing basically the same pair of headphones over & over again. hahaha

Users who are viewing this thread

Back