The AKG K7XX Massdrop First Edition Thread
Dec 21, 2014 at 12:08 PM Post #767 of 4,580
Yup, just took the pads off and carefully checked again, they are not angled. A bit irregular in height yes, but not angled.
FWIW I remember K701 pads are not angled and K702 are angled. I put K702 pads on my K701 and listened to them for half a year.
wink.gif

Dec 21, 2014 at 12:17 PM Post #768 of 4,580
Someone recently mentioned that the 7XX pads were identical to the 712. If you guys arebsaying the pads arent angled, well then the pads can't be identical, as the 712 and newer Annies use angled pads.

That would imply that the 7xx is indeed using pads more akin to earlier gen Annies.

Either that or AKG has become quite inconsistent with their pads.

Dec 21, 2014 at 12:20 PM Post #769 of 4,580
Someone recently mentioned that the 7XX pads were identical to the 712. If you guys arebsaying the pads arent angled, well then the pads can't be identical, as the 712 and newer Annies use angled pads.

That would imply that the 7xx is indeed using pads more akin to earlier gen Annies.

Either that or AKG has become quite inconsistent with their pads.

My k712 and newer Annie have non-angled pads.

Dec 21, 2014 at 12:21 PM Post #770 of 4,580
Then they must have changed pads yet again, as I know from experience as well as others that both those headphones had been using angled pads.

Can you please provide images of thebpads laying flat on a surface?

Dec 21, 2014 at 12:34 PM Post #771 of 4,580
Got mine yesterday morning at 8:00 AM. Quite a pleasant thing to wake up to. 
smile.gif

The last time I listened to the Q701 was a few years ago (courtesy of @bowei006) and I remember not liking them too much. As much as I liked the neutral sound, it sounded too cold and lifeless. K7XX has fixed all of my qualms. It sounds more natural yet retains the large soundstage, etc (both were driven from an O2 and I highly doubt the DAC will make too much of a difference).

And just for more data/confirmation, my pads are NOT angled. I also have no driver issues w/ driver imbalance or rattle.

Dec 21, 2014 at 1:05 PM Post #772 of 4,580
I was the one that mentioned  a couple of days ago that the pads in my just arrived K7XX are identical to the the pads in my K712 PRO.  No mention of angled pads.  I don't own nor have owned any other AKG headphones so I can't comment about changes in pads in the K7xx line.  I'll also repeat what I said then: other than the color differences (orange vs all black) and the labeling (Made in Austria vs Made in China) these headphones are identical to my eyes and ears.

Dec 21, 2014 at 3:21 PM Post #773 of 4,580
  I was the one that mentioned  a couple of days ago that the pads in my just arrived K7XX are identical to the the pads in my K712 PRO.  No mention of angled pads.  I don't own nor have owned any other AKG headphones so I can't comment about changes in pads in the K7xx line.  I'll also repeat what I said then: other than the color differences (orange vs all black) and the labeling (Made in Austria vs Made in China) these headphones are identical to my eyes and ears.

not bad for a MIC 712 @$200
rolleyes.gif

Dec 21, 2014 at 3:45 PM Post #774 of 4,580

R u sure ? Haha :))

Dec 21, 2014 at 5:17 PM Post #775 of 4,580
Mad, neither the Annie nor K712 ever used angled pads. At least, neither that I had. Not even Ev's K712 that you reviewed had angled pads.

Dec 21, 2014 at 5:47 PM Post #776 of 4,580
Update from a few days ago: 

Listening on my Peachtree Audio Nova125 is a much more pleasant experience than my initial few minutes on the iPad. That initial peakiness is gone and treble seems to be more tame (though this could be a function of some minor break-in during the first 10-20 hours of listening). Listening to classical music today was a pleasure and I'm very impressed how these are playing a live acoustic album right now. 

Dec 21, 2014 at 5:55 PM Post #777 of 4,580
Mad, neither the Annie nor K712 ever used angled pads. At least, neither that I had. Not even Ev's K712 that you reviewed had angled pads.

So what exactly is different between the Annie and K712?  I thought I read in the K712 thread that if you installed the K712 pads on an Annie they were essentially the same headphone.  Gabrielnorena has posted that his Annie and K712 have the same pads.

K7XX=Annie=K712? 

I hardly think that I have golden ears or anything close to that and I can't distinguish any differences between my K7XX and K712.  I guess I'm going to do more listening to see if I still feel the same.

Dec 21, 2014 at 7:10 PM Post #778 of 4,580
They sound 99% the same to my ears (Annie and K712). But, I didn't have them side by side, and I'm no expert in critiquing sound. I do remember the K712 having less of a mid upper peak, but that was it.

Also, I had an early set of Annie's. Those pads were made of the same material as the K712, just slightly thinner. Never angled, though, not the ones I had.

Dec 21, 2014 at 9:15 PM Post #779 of 4,580

You sure? I could've sworn the 712 did. I know the Annie didn't. If you're right, sorry guys. I know the old Annie did NOT have the same pads as the 712, as we discussed this to death on the 712 thread. Maybe it was just the physical differences and made me think of angled pads. Chicolom posted the side by side images of thebpad differences. They were not the same.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/659251/the-akg-k712-pro-support-and-impressions-thread/1155

Those were my exact experiences as well.

Anyways, I apologize. Dunno why I thought the 712 pads were angled.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back