The AKG K7XX Massdrop First Edition Thread
Nov 24, 2014 at 11:18 PM Post #151 of 4,580
They got you too! Man from what it sounds like the A/B comparison between the two will be a good difference. Not sure how though. I'm suspecting soundstage, mids, and lows will be the difference.

Between what two? If you're referring to the Annie and K7XX, I wouldn't place any bets on them being different.

Here are headphones that I've learned are the same:

Senn 555, 595 (though you need to remove the felt), PC360, Game One
Koss KSC35, Portapro, Sportapro (difference being the headband assembly)
Newer AKG K701, K702, Q701, Anniversary (with different pads)

I'm pretty sure numbers vary from model to model, yet are still the same headphone internally. Some have prices that are double what their siblings go for.

Nov 24, 2014 at 11:27 PM Post #152 of 4,580
I learned not to bother looking at numbers like that, especially when it goes well beyond human hearing. If you think they'll be different, you'e the kind of consumer AKG likes.

Not sure what the numbers are for the K702 and Q701, but eventually they started sounding IDENTICAL. Assumption being that once the Q701 came out, the K702 started to use the same driver tweaks.

There was a time when they sounded different. Now... not likely.

I'm not buying them, I'm not the kind of consumer AKG lIkes because i'm not a collector and I'm really happy with the k702/65, and I don't think the k7xx will be better.

Nov 24, 2014 at 11:30 PM Post #154 of 4,580
Quite frankly, it would make no sense to 'improve' the Anniversary, while cutting the cost to almost half price, even when the Annie is still in circulation for nearly double.

Nov 24, 2014 at 11:36 PM Post #155 of 4,580
I guess you could say, if you never owned an AKG (like me) and want quality in sound comparable to the Annie at almost or half the price of the Annie....then this is the headphone.

I mean, if you already have the Q701, K701/702 and the Annie...and you are not a collector, then purchasing this may just end up being a collectors item for you to not use or not buy it at all. I guess I said what the above peeps have said.

Im actually quite excited to receiving this headphone before Christmas. Now to purchase an amp.....

Nov 24, 2014 at 11:45 PM Post #157 of 4,580
I've been looking at the AKG K701's for a while now but I already have the Monster Inspiration's (active NC version). I got them last year since they were on sale being only $150, but should I sell it and get these instead? Going from cheap iem's to the Monsters everything sounded WAY better, how much of an improvement can I expect from these?

I mainly use my headphones for gaming as well as orchestral soundtracks, EDM and mainstream music, all from my computer's sound card which has a headphone amp. Turns out I didn't really need the Inspirations noise cancelling, my PC room's very quiet.

This deal looks pretty sweet though.

Nov 24, 2014 at 11:46 PM Post #158 of 4,580
Audio-Technica Stay updated on Audio-Technica at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.audio-technica.com/
Nov 24, 2014 at 11:48 PM Post #159 of 4,580
I've been looking at the AKG K701's for a while now but I already have the Monster Inspiration's (active NC version). I got them last year since they were on sale being only $150, but should I sell it and get these instead? Going from cheap iem's to the Monsters everything sounded WAY better, how much of an improvement can I expect from these?

I mainly use my headphones for gaming as well as orchestral soundtracks, EDM and mainstream music, all from my computer's sound card which has a headphone amp. Turns out I didn't really need the Inspirations noise cancelling, my PC room's very quiet.

This deal looks pretty sweet though.

For Gaming, they would be great, for EDM....mmmm eehh not sure but I think the bass in the AKGs isnt what you would expect when listening to EDM. To be honest, I never heard an AKG...yet. But If you want really good bass maybe the X1/X2 is the way to go. But dont quote on me on that..maybe someone that currently owns an AKG can answer it better than me.

Nov 24, 2014 at 11:51 PM Post #160 of 4,580
Yeah, my K712 review on my guide brought up some of the differences between them. They're very similar, but the K712 is less intimate, more spacious. I honestly still prefer the Annie's more intimate sound. It was less prone to fatigue too, since the K712 isn't as smooth up top (though more lively and extended).

Seriously, for $200, I don't think anything comes close to touching the K7XX, if the Annie is any indication.

Wow envy been a while since I have seen you on some of the threads or selling stuff. I thought you had moved on :D .

Nov 25, 2014 at 12:06 AM Post #163 of 4,580
  For Gaming, they would be great, for EDM....mmmm eehh not sure but I think the bass in the AKGs isnt what you would expect when listening to EDM. To be honest, I never heard an AKG...yet. But If you want really good bass maybe the X1/X2 is the way to go. But dont quote on me on that..maybe someone that currently owns an AKG can answer it better than me.

If the new Massdrop K7XX cans are at all like the Anniversaries and K712's, as has been reported, then it would work fine for EDM; the earlier K701/702 series, not so much.

Look, for $200 one cannot go wrong with the K7XX's, period.

Nov 25, 2014 at 12:27 AM Post #164 of 4,580
Wow envy been a while since I have seen you on some of the threads or selling stuff. I thought you had moved on :D .

I'm always in the video game section, where my headphone guide has been.

And yeah, the Annie and K712 are fantastic for EDM or bassy genres in general. 7XX should be a no brainer as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back