The AKG K7XX Massdrop First Edition Thread
Nov 24, 2014 at 9:44 PM Post #136 of 4,580
I hope so. I thought the Annies were an excellent price at $300 for a used pair.

Did you ever document your thoughts on the Annie vs K712? I absolutely loved the Annie back when I had it and have been curious for another listen ever since I let them go. I thought I could satisfy that craving with the K712, but I really didn't like it and got rid of it rather quickly. I just hope the same doesn't happen with the 7XX assuming it's similar in sound to the Annie (and assuming I still enjoy that type of sound). Regardless, $200 for the K7XX is probably one of the best deals I can think of to ever hit the headphone market.

Yeah, my K712 review on my guide brought up some of the differences between them. They're very similar, but the K712 is less intimate, more spacious. I honestly still prefer the Annie's more intimate sound. It was less prone to fatigue too, since the K712 isn't as smooth up top (though more lively and extended).

Seriously, for $200, I don't think anything comes close to touching the K7XX, if the Annie is any indication.

Nov 24, 2014 at 10:04 PM Post #137 of 4,580
I see people are writing "improved Annies". Uh, no. I'm willing to bet my head-fi life that the K7XX IS the Annie, just repainted. No extra driver tweaking

The matching/cherry-picked drivers are not new to the K7XX. The Annie was ALSO touted with this.

The 3db bass increase was ALSO done on the Annie. There is no way in hell that the K7XX has 3db bass increase on top of the 3db increase going from the Q701 to the Annie. 6db increase going from a Q7012 to the K7XX? Lol. Absolutely not.

Here are the differences I can see from the current Annie run and the K7XX:

The K7XX seems to be using pads closer to the OLDER Annie memory foam pads (which may actually even BE the old pads), which are not angled. The NEW Annie pads are the same as the K712 pads, which are angled. Yes, this does affect the sound. For what it's worth, I prefer the older pad's sound.

What people need to understand is that the Annie itself was 99.9% the same as the Q701 IF they use the same pads. The change in pads is what altered the sound going from the Q701 to the Annie. IF you put on Q701 pads on the Annie, guess what? You'll get the Q701 sound, barring the slight driver to driver variation. no 2 headphones are exactly the same, though AKG is very consistent with the 700 line.

So again, I'm willing to bet that the K7XX = Annie = Q701 with memory foam pads and flat headband.

All for $200. So yes, it is still going to be a very good thing. I'm here to stop wild assumptions from circling about. Yes, I'm making assumtpions myself, but having heard and compared all these headphones, you tend to pick up on AKG's patterns. I don't see AKG spending money to re-tweak drivers for ONE website.

Nov 24, 2014 at 10:14 PM Post #138 of 4,580
Just to clarify, whenever I say "improved", I'm referring to an improvement over the older K701, K702, and Q701. I've never heard the 65th but I believe they should be VERY similar to this new K7XX if not completely identical.

The 3dB boost, the improved headband, and the driver matching are identical features shared by the 65th and the K7XX.

Nov 24, 2014 at 10:20 PM Post #139 of 4,580
I always missed the Annie, so I may eventually pick these up if I can spare it. For $200, everyone needs to jump on these. The Annie was amazing at $350+, but for $200, holy cow, that's a downright steal.

Nov 24, 2014 at 10:22 PM Post #140 of 4,580
I see people are writing "improved Annies". Uh, no. I'm willing to bet my head-fi life that the K7XX IS the Annie, just repainted. No extra driver tweaking

The matching/cherry-picked drivers are not new to the K7XX. The Annie was ALSO touted with this.

The 3db bass increase was ALSO done on the Annie. There is no way in hell that the K7XX has 3db bass increase on top of the 3db increase going from the Q701 to the Annie. 6db increase going from a Q7012 to the K7XX? Lol. Absolutely not.

The K7XX seems to be using pads closer to the OLDER Annie memory foam pads (which may actually even BE the old pads), which are not angled. The NEW Annie pads are the same as the K712 pads, which are angled. Yes, this does affect the sound. For what it's worth, I prefer the older pad's sound.

What people need to understand is that the Annie itself was 99.9% the same as the Q701 IF they use the same pads. The change in pads is what altered the sound going from the Q701 to the Annie. IF you put on Q701 pads on the Annie, guess what? You'll get the Q701 sound, barring the slight driver to driver variation. no 2 headphones are exactly the same, though AKG is very consistent with the 700 line.

So again, I'm willing to bet that the K7XX = Annie = Q701 with memory foam pads and flat headband.

All for $200. So yes, it is still going to be a very good thing. I'm here to stop wild assumptions from circling about. Yes, I'm making assumtpions myself, but having heard and compared all these headphones, you tend to pick up on AKG's patterns. I don't see AKG spending money to re-tweak drivers for ONE website.

ya i agree. i doubt there is any additional driver tweaking. prob just the annies at a discount price.

Nov 24, 2014 at 10:29 PM Post #141 of 4,580
Anybody have both the K702 AE and the K240 Sextetts? If so, do they sound dramatically different?

Nov 24, 2014 at 10:40 PM Post #142 of 4,580

So do you think it still make sense for me to get a pair of 7xx if I already have Q701?

Nov 24, 2014 at 10:56 PM Post #143 of 4,580
  I'm in. Gonna mod it to be a 4 pin XLR for my Geek Pulse X.

I can't think of any headphone that can be made balanced at this quality, for this price.

That's my plan as well... by current reckoning we may get the Pulse X about the same time as the K7XX-MD is scheduled to arrive. 
atsmile.gif

Nov 24, 2014 at 11:01 PM Post #145 of 4,580
The K7XX seems to be using pads closer to the OLDER Annie memory foam pads (which may actually even BE the old pads), which are not angled.

Fingers crossed. If it's the newer pads, I'm selling them ASAP.

So do you think it still make sense for me to get a pair of 7xx if I already have Q701?

Wouldn't a set of memory foam pads be cheaper? Two sounds in one.

Nov 24, 2014 at 11:11 PM Post #148 of 4,580
Frecuency range on the annie is 8 to 39800. This ones will be 10 to 39800. I don't think thery will be exactly the same. I wonder why specs on the k702/65 are different from all other k7 series headphones.

I learned not to bother looking at numbers like that, especially when it goes well beyond human hearing. If you think they'll be different, you'e the kind of consumer AKG likes.

Not sure what the numbers are for the K702 and Q701, but eventually they started sounding IDENTICAL. Assumption being that once the Q701 came out, the K702 started to use the same driver tweaks.

There was a time when they sounded different. Now... not likely.

Nov 24, 2014 at 11:14 PM Post #149 of 4,580

Yes, because the bumpless headband is so much, much better than those on the Q701. Otherwise, you could simply just buy some memory foam pads, and get that warmer, richer sound. Not sure AKG sells the older, non-angled pads though.

If I were you, I'd sell the Q701, get the K7XX and buy some Q701 pads. That way you'll essentially have two headphones, with the new scheme.

Nov 24, 2014 at 11:17 PM Post #150 of 4,580
They got you too! Man from what it sounds like the A/B comparison between the two will be a good difference. Not sure how though. I'm suspecting soundstage, mids, and lows will be the difference.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back