The AKG K7XX Massdrop First Edition Thread
Nov 24, 2014 at 7:58 PM Post #121 of 4,580
used to own the k501, k601, and k701 back in the day...my favorite was actually the k501. just got in on the drop as i've been looking for a pair of budget open cans (well, not as budget as my fave grado sr60, but certainly budget compared to my hd800). if these are a tad warmer and have more low-end than the k701, i think i'll be really happy. still not a fan of the cables that the k501/601/70x series uses, so there may be a recable in my future...but, looking forward to a new toy soon. thanks for the review, @project86 

Nov 24, 2014 at 8:02 PM Post #123 of 4,580
Could be true, but also don't forget the driver matching. It's a real thing, it's measurable (confirmed by "other" sources not just Massdrop), and it makes a difference.

That was one of the target points for the Anniversary as well, lol.

Business sense. Anniversary was no longer selling as much, so to move their stock quickly, they repainted, and sold for less.

Again, not upset with that. For $200, I honestly can't think of ANY headphone better than this.

And no, it's not u-shaped. The bass and mids are richer thqn the treble. The Annie brought the 700 drivers closer to being like a 650, compared to the very old K701 that was lean and upper mid heavy.

Remember guys, a pad swap can do wonders for headphones. Anyone with a Q701 can just buy some memory foam AKG pads and you'll note the added warmth and bass.

Nov 24, 2014 at 8:05 PM Post #125 of 4,580
does anyone know what kind of plug is used for the cable (plug that goes into the headphone)? i'd like to order a couple to make some custom cables...

Nov 24, 2014 at 8:10 PM Post #126 of 4,580
The cable connector looks like a 3-pin mini XLR. Is it possible to swap the cable for a balanced 4-pin cable or does that require changing the connector on the headphone?

Edit: nvm found answer here: http://www.head-fi.org/t/483861/guide-balanced-akg-k702-with-detachable-4-pin-mini-xlr-cable

Nov 24, 2014 at 8:20 PM Post #128 of 4,580
I'm going to surmise that 7XX = Anniversary with new color scheme.

Calling it now.

Nothing wrong with that. Its my fave variant.

7XX = Anniversary = Q701 with new pads that add bass/warmth.

And I have heard: K701, K702, Q701, Anniversary, K712.

I hope so. I thought the Annies were an excellent price at $300 for a used pair.

Did you ever document your thoughts on the Annie vs K712? I absolutely loved the Annie back when I had it and have been curious for another listen ever since I let them go. I thought I could satisfy that craving with the K712, but I really didn't like it and got rid of it rather quickly. I just hope the same doesn't happen with the 7XX assuming it's similar in sound to the Annie (and assuming I still enjoy that type of sound). Regardless, $200 for the K7XX is probably one of the best deals I can think of to ever hit the headphone market.

Nov 24, 2014 at 8:27 PM Post #129 of 4,580

I hope so. I thought the Annies were an excellent price at $300 for a used pair.

Did you ever document your thoughts on the Annie vs K712? I absolutely loved the Annie back when I had it and have been curious for another listen ever since I let them go. I thought I could satisfy that craving with the K712, but I really didn't like it and got rid of it rather quickly. I just hope the same doesn't happen with the 7XX assuming it's similar in sound to the Annie (and assuming I still enjoy that type of sound). Regardless, $200 for the K7XX is probably one of the best deals I can think of to ever hit the headphone market.

Now that's the kind of resistance crushing comment I'm not looking for lol!

Nov 24, 2014 at 8:39 PM Post #132 of 4,580
Well schiit, gonna have to pull more money out of my savings

Nov 24, 2014 at 8:53 PM Post #133 of 4,580
Very interesting indeed. I had both the K701 and K702 at some point and got rid of them very quickly. This sound like a different (better) kettle of fish, and very attractively priced. 

Thank you for sharing! 
beerchug.gif

Nov 24, 2014 at 9:37 PM Post #135 of 4,580
Just joined this!

Months ago I was debating between a hd598 and a Fidelio X1 (Or the X2 which I think is yet to be released into the wild officially) and held off. I know, its like apples and oranges.

Has anyone had these pads and had any issues with glasses? Review said they're one of his comfiest headphones but when I tried the Mad Dogs, headphones that were super comfortable according to everyone, I couldn't wear them because I had an issue with my jawline and ear area hurting after a half to an hour of listening with them. Hope these have no issues with glasses.
Based on reviews from this thread and the one from Changster I can't wait for them!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back