The AKG K7XX Massdrop First Edition Thread
Nov 24, 2014 at 4:00 PM Post #92 of 4,580
  Do they more bass than HD650?
Thanks.

The 650 is warm, while the Annies and especially the 712 is balanced.  So relative to the sound signature as a whole, the 650 has more bass.  While not exactly the same by any means, the two AKG's are closer to the HD 600.

Nov 24, 2014 at 4:09 PM Post #93 of 4,580
Man is this tempting, I've been wanting to try some AKGs!

Confusing on the Massdrop description if these are K702 Anniversary Editions with a new Limited Edition look, or are they voiced differently than the Annies. Says they are are based on the same driver technology (not necessarily the same drivers), but unclear if what follows that describes the original Annies over the standard model, or these over the Annies. Just curious before I commit :)

I also like the line, "The highs were boosted by an innovative flat-wire voice coil, the mids were brought up to better balance the range, and the lows were jacked up by 3 dB..." Soooo, everything has been increased in level?

Nov 24, 2014 at 4:11 PM Post #94 of 4,580

(...)  
Harman seems to have moved all production to PRC. That's been the case for the K712, the K550, and the 65th Anniversary too. The K7XX has a little "Made in PRC" sticker under the headband (which could easily be removed). 

(...)

The K702 65th Anniversary Edition has a "Made in Austria" label on it...
confused.gif

Nov 24, 2014 at 4:21 PM Post #96 of 4,580
  Man is this tempting, I've been wanting to try some AKGs!

Confusing on the Massdrop description if these are K702 Anniversary Editions with a new Limited Edition look, or are they voiced differently than the Annies. Says they are are based on the same driver technology (not necessarily the same drivers), but unclear if what follows that describes the original Annies over the standard model, or these over the Annies. Just curious before I commit :)

I also like the line, "The highs were boosted by an innovative flat-wire voice coil, the mids were brought up to better balance the range, and the lows were jacked up by 3 dB..." Soooo, everything has been increased in level?

lol... the entire akg 7## series have the same driver technology.

the akg 7## series is probably extremely overpriced over $300, but a pretty solid deal at $200.

Nov 24, 2014 at 4:25 PM Post #98 of 4,580
Now, all of a sudden the site which can not be mentioned becomes publicly discussed! 
wink.gif

Nov 24, 2014 at 4:30 PM Post #99 of 4,580
  Now, all of a sudden the site which can not be mentioned becomes publicly discussed! 
wink.gif

lol apparently there has been a "rule change" decision by the moderators whom decided that massdrop is an exception to the rule as they are actually a "reseller" despite the fact they are still promoting themselves as a group buy website. A bit confusing, because logically... all group buy websites are simply resellers.

glad to see this change in policy though.

edit: so jude explained to me very nicely the exact logical reasoning for this change and it has to do with the vendors that massdrop gets their products from. so previously, they may have gotten headphones from non-authorized distributors, but now they get them from official sources.

Nov 24, 2014 at 4:35 PM Post #100 of 4,580
Detachable cable is nice. I realise the whole series has them but never payed much attention to that. Anyone who has other K7XX series headphones use either Modmic or something like Vmoda BoomPro mic with their headphones for gaming?
One big reason for getting these for me is PS4 gaming, so wondering what the best mic/cable solution is for them.

Nov 24, 2014 at 4:42 PM Post #101 of 4,580
  lol apparently there has been a "rule change" decision by the moderators whom decided that massdrop is an exception to the rule as they are actually a "reseller" despite the fact they are still promoting themselves as a group buy website. A bit confusing, because logically... all group buy websites are simply resellers.

it's weird how your opinion of a site changes after getting free review units :wink: onlyyy joking of course.

some free review units and the promise to be working with some big companies could do more than just changing the rules

Nov 24, 2014 at 4:44 PM Post #102 of 4,580
I'm wondering this as well. I just ordered a pair of HD650s finally, and they're arrived today. Can't believe I'm considering these AKGs, but I'm curious still.

Or we just could ask massdrop to work with sennheiser and produce some HD 6XX?? HD 8XX? or something even  better like HD XxX?? that would be earsgasmic!!!

Nov 24, 2014 at 4:46 PM Post #103 of 4,580
I should be saving for Xmas shopping but no one ever buys me what I REALLY want.  So yeah, I'm in.  This is actually the start of an actual collection.   Up till now I just had HE-500s and Ultrasone HFI-780.  Not really able to compare similar headphones and join the discussion until I own, let's say, two open back models.  Looking forward to these.  As a post production professional I've always seen Sony and AKG floating around.

As of now the the drop is just under 500, looks like the first 1000 will be sold in the first 24 hours at this rate.  

Nov 24, 2014 at 4:48 PM Post #104 of 4,580
  Detachable cable is nice. I realise the whole series has them but never payed much attention to that. Anyone who has other K7XX series headphones use either Modmic or something like Vmoda BoomPro mic with their headphones for gaming?
One big reason for getting these for me is PS4 gaming, so wondering what the best mic/cable solution is for them.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=m3bmNAfyywo

Nov 24, 2014 at 4:51 PM Post #105 of 4,580
  www.youtube.com/watch?v=m3bmNAfyywo

Thanks, I don't speak German haha but the test sounded decent. Bit of buzz
Guess the only downside is the 2-cable thing..would get messy. But then again I think you'd need to use a Y-adapter out of an all-in-one solution like the boompro anyway so it probably doesn't matter either way..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back