The AKG K7XX Massdrop First Edition Thread
Nov 23, 2014 at 6:47 AM Post #46 of 4,580
I wonder if that +3db is the reason why it will sound different?

I dont mind the reduce soundstage, Im pretty sure it will still have a good soundstage, given that it will have a more fuller sound. I guess its a compromise many will like. 

So if this is based on the annie, would you say the k7xx could be in between the annie and k712 in terms of sound quality?

Nov 23, 2014 at 6:59 AM Post #47 of 4,580
I haven't heard it. Personally, I'm assuming it's gonna sound closest to the first Annie run. The 3db change was done back then too. It's the pads.

Nov 23, 2014 at 8:45 AM Post #49 of 4,580
I had the Annie pads on my Q701 and felt the reduction in soundstage made them worse. Bass increased but the original character of the headphone decreased which I didn't like. The combination of flat on all sides and memory foam was the cause. The stock pads are angled so the driver puts sound into your ears at just the right angle and the foam pads gave more breathing room.

I really REALLY want that K7XX headband though. Does anybody know where I can get one? My Q701 headband is heavily modded for comfort but I would much rather have a one piece flexible band that's better for design and comfort as opposed to the solid plastic one of the Q701.

Nov 23, 2014 at 9:45 AM Post #50 of 4,580

Huh?

Are you taking a guess at superior?

My K712 Pro is made in Austria (on phones and box)

Price is great but I'm having a hard time with your post.

BTW the K712 is a fine, fine phone. Runs right alongside my T1, HE-500 just swell ....... when under an adequate amplifier. The 712 is one of the best AKG phones ever made IMO. They blew my now long gone Q701 out of the water.

I meant "superior" in relation to the K701, K702, and Q series. 

There have been a ton of threads here and elsewhere discussing the production move from Austria to PRC. None of them were conclusive or gave the entire picture, but it looks to me like AKG slowly shut down their facilities in Austria while increasing the new production line in China. My theory is that K712 and 65th Anniversary were some of the last models to be made in Austria. As those are more expensive, they probably had smaller runs, and it could be that the entire 65th series was made over there. I strongly suspect a new K712 fresh off the line will come from PRC.

I have heard directly from an AKG rep that all production was moved to PRC in stages over the past 2 years. He said they still engineer stuff in Vienna and then send it over to the factory in China. Supposedly the quality is indistinguishable (but of course he would say that). 

I for one find it pretty damn annoying (and unoriginal) that the headphone is being called the K7XX. I, among many others here on Head-Fi in the past, have used exactly "K7xx" to collectively refer to the K701, K702, K702 65th Anniversary, and K712, and people searching for "K7XX" on Head-Fi will turn up those results in addition to those for the new headphone. Someone should have thought through that model name a lot more before the headphones made it to production.

Also, 6000 units total? I hate limited editions and would prefer if these new headphones would just go into regular production.

I kinda like K7XX but then I also agree with your point. Things are confusing enough already and this doesn't help. I'll probably start calling it the K7XX Massdrop just to be more clear.

As for the limited edition status - there's nothing stopping them from making it a regular production model in the future. It just won't have the same "limited edition" descriptor at that point. I think they probably wanted to test response since Massdrop is sort of new, and 6000 units is plenty to accomplish that.

They'll have better hits with K7XX Massdrop which if you think about it as a great way to get the name circulating in the site. So far it's been the unmentionable site but with this headphone well you can say Massdrop wherever you please as long as you're referring to headphone and not the group buy.

Question for @project86; do these have the memory foam pads that came with the Annies?

I believe they are the same foam pads as the original 65th run, not the later angled pads. At least mine don't jump out at me as being angled. I'll try to double check though, sometimes the angle is subtle.

$200 for some new 'Annies". Best deal of the century. The AE was my fave K7XX model (damn you Massdrop, I've used K7XX since FOREVER).

Yes, the AE was just a K702 with Memory foam pads and a MUCH better headband, and I'd place bets that that is all they have done with the K7XX here. If you've heard the AE, then you know, that's all they needed. The K7XX will be warmer, more fuller sounding, and less glaring up top, if thr AE is any indication. Yes, something will be lost in translation: The air and hyper detail will be softened up to make way for a richer, more euphonic sound. No need for a bass poprt mod or anything else for those difdferences. The sonic change for the AE was entirely done by the pad change, as swapping the AE pads to the standard K702 will yield 99.9% the same sound.

Also don't forget the driver matching - it's a very real thing. 

I had the Annie pads on my Q701 and felt the reduction in soundstage made them worse. Bass increased but the original character of the headphone decreased which I didn't like. The combination of flat on all sides and memory foam was the cause. The stock pads are angled so the driver puts sound into your ears at just the right angle and the foam pads gave more breathing room.

I really REALLY want that K7XX headband though. Does anybody know where I can get one? My Q701 headband is heavily modded for comfort but I would much rather have a one piece flexible band that's better for design and comfort as opposed to the solid plastic one of the Q701.

It still has a fantastic soundstage. Driver matching is a critical component for imaging and soundstage imho. Some of my early K701/K702 were hit/miss in that regard, despite being clearly brighter sounding. 

Nov 23, 2014 at 10:45 AM Post #52 of 4,580
Interesting headphones. If the measurements massdrop has are accurate, this may be the bassiest sounding of the AKG Q/K6/7xx series. Looks like it has good subbass extension. Have you tried them with any EDM, project86?

Sidenote: And I agree. Calling it K7XX was a poor choice (for the reason mentioned). K7ME would have been better :)

Nov 23, 2014 at 11:33 AM Post #53 of 4,580
  Does the K7XX still have that oval shaped soundstage, with barely any soundstage depth?  Another part of the Q701 I did not like was its graininess, I wonder if the K7XX is smoother?

I don't perceive it as such. It's got nice depth - not on par with HD800, but what is? There's a hint of grain at times but it's mostly under control, which is the same for the sibilance issue too. 

Interesting headphones. If the measurements massdrop has are accurate, this may be the bassiest sounding of the AKG Q/K6/7xx series. Looks like it has good subbass extension. Have you tried them with any EDM, project86?

Sidenote: And I agree. Calling it K7XX was a poor choice (for the reason mentioned). K7ME would have been better
smily_headphones1.gif

Haven't tried tons of EDM yet but I've done a bit of Pendulum and it's definitely the most satisfying I've heard from the series (keeping in mind I haven't heard the K712). Still not an Audeze but reasonably impressive nonetheless. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back