The AKG K7XX Massdrop First Edition Thread
Jan 15, 2015 at 10:44 PM Post #1,306 of 4,580
When I first got the K7XX's, I took some photos to try to compare it with the Q701's build. These were taken with my phone so they are definitely not the greatest.

http://imgur.com/a/4hAc6

I honestly think the physical feel of the K7XX's are just fine, definitely on-par with the Q701 that I have.

Jan 15, 2015 at 11:34 PM Post #1,307 of 4,580
Whomever said the 7XX and 712 sounds the same, I feel isn't as sensitive to differences, since the Annie and 712 aren't the same. Close, but different enough.

Guilty as charged :)

At least I own both at the moment and have posted my impressions making direct comparisons between them instead of basing them on what someone else said that the other guy repeated that someone else summarized.

Jan 15, 2015 at 11:42 PM Post #1,308 of 4,580
Guilty as charged :)

At least I own both at the moment and have posted my impressions making direct comparisons between them instead of basing them on what someone else said that the other guy repeated that someone else summarized.

+1

Jan 15, 2015 at 11:45 PM Post #1,309 of 4,580
Finally, someone that gets it. This is probably the first post I've seen on here that understands the very minor differences between them.

As someone just stated a few posts ago, swapping the Q701 pads onto the K7XX SHOULD presumably make the 7XX sound basically like the Q701, meaning that the 7XX is undeniably based on the Annie as it has so obviously been stated by Massdrop themselves.

Whomever said the 7XX and 712 sounds the same, I feel isn't as sensitive to differences, since the Annie and 712 aren't the same. Close, but different enough.

just curious, do you own the k7xx?

Jan 16, 2015 at 12:02 AM Post #1,310 of 4,580
No, but I have owned the K701, Q701, Annie, and borrowed a K712, as well as a 612.

Considering Massdrop clearly said the 7XX is based on the Annie, and it has been mentioned SEVERAL times that the 7XX sounds the same as the Annie. That's enough to tell me that the 7XX = Annie = Q701 with Annie pads. Also having heard and knowing the 712 isn't exactly the same as a Q701 with 712 pads, also lets me know that the 7XX is not the same as the 712.

It's not hard to conclude the obvious. If there is one thing AKG is very good at, it's consistency in their drivers.

My ears are sensitive enough to hear the differences even from two of the same exact headphone as well (like once had three DT990 600ohms at the house at the same time, and they sounded slightly different from one another, enough to not like one over the other two.)

If someone who owns both the 7XX and Q701 can simply swap pads, the confirmation is there. They should sound like on another (not taking headband, clamp into account).

In any case, whether the 7XX was a 712 reskinned or not, does not matter, as the non-712s sound VERY close to it anyways, for a much cheaper price. So the 7XX will still put you very close to the SQ of the 712 even if it wasn't one itself.

Jan 16, 2015 at 12:32 AM Post #1,311 of 4,580
No, but I have owned the K701, Q701, Annie, and borrowed a K712, as well as a 612.

Considering Massdrop clearly said the 7XX is based on the Annie, and it has been mentioned SEVERAL times that the 7XX sounds the same as the Annie. That's enough to tell me that the 7XX = Annie = Q701 with Annie pads. Also having heard and knowing the 712 isn't exactly the same as a Q701 with 712 pads, also lets me know that the 7XX is not the same as the 712.

It's not hard to conclude the obvious. If there is one thing AKG is very good at, it's consistency in their drivers.

My ears are sensitive enough to hear the differences even from two of the same exact headphone as well (like once had three DT990 600ohms at the house at the same time, and they sounded slightly different from one another, enough to not like one over the other two.)

If someone who owns both the 7XX and Q701 can simply swap pads, the confirmation is there. They should sound like on another (not taking headband, clamp into account).

In any case, whether the 7XX was a 712 reskinned or not, does not matter, as the non-712s sound VERY close to it anyways, for a much cheaper price. So the 7XX will still put you very close to the SQ of the 712 even if it wasn't one itself.

Who's on first... what's on second...
popcorn.gif

Jan 16, 2015 at 12:52 AM Post #1,312 of 4,580
IMHO the K7xx is significantly (well, maybe not significantly but at least noticeably) cheaper looking and feeling as compared to my Q701. Now I only took it out of the box one time but that was my immediate impression. Now I don't think the build is problematic and is certainly fine for a $200 can of its sound quality. But keep in mind that while a lot of paid much less for our K/Q7-- cans, many retailed originally for $400 + whereas the retail on the K7xx is $199. Something has to give. Again, just my brief impression and others may (and clearly do) feel differently.

Just IMHO I disagree with this. I also have the Q701 in white, and the only notable difference I can tell is that these thankfully do not have the gaudy glossy material on the rim and that these have memory foam earpads.

Jan 16, 2015 at 2:18 AM Post #1,313 of 4,580
I was trying to hook up my PDM-10s to Xperia Z2, as I have some flac music stored there, unfortunately it seems to trip Z2's current limit function, and need to use the split OTG adapter in the photo to power up the DAC first, then connect it to the phone.  Basically that means I'll need some source of power to power up the DAC first to avoid the turn-on surge to trip Z2's current limit.

However, my Samsung TabPro 10.1 worked without a hitch.  It just plug in, notify me that something got plugged in USB, and just reroute all audio to USB output without and fuss.

It sounds much better.... much much better.  I think I'm going to carry around this headphone and DAC a lot more than before.

Edit: Xperia Z2 works fine with PDM-10s now with split OTG adapter trick.

Jan 17, 2015 at 1:20 AM Post #1,314 of 4,580
When I first got the K7XX's, I took some photos to try to compare it with the Q701's build. These were taken with my phone so they are definitely not the greatest.

http://imgur.com/a/4hAc6

I honestly think the physical feel of the K7XX's are just fine, definitely on-par with the Q701 that I have.

I retract my earlier statement re build quality. I am comparing both and they look and feel pretty similar. Close enough at least that I am not going to look further for any possible minute differences. Sorry for bad initial impression.

BTW, these are great and amazing for the price.

Jan 17, 2015 at 2:12 AM Post #1,315 of 4,580
I retract my earlier statement re build quality. I am comparing both and they look and feel pretty similar. Close enough at least that I am not going to look further for any possible minute differences. Sorry for bad initial impression.

BTW, these are great and amazing for the price.

I agree with you.

Jan 18, 2015 at 1:43 AM Post #1,317 of 4,580
What is the difference between the K7XX and 712Pro in terms of pads, drivers, headphone bumps?

Am I correct in thinking drivers/bumps (or lack of) are the same, but the pads are different in that K7XX is Anniversary Pads which are warmer/more intimate?

Which is more comfortable?

Jan 18, 2015 at 2:38 AM Post #1,318 of 4,580

Wait, 7XX = Annie = Q701 with Annie Pads? I'm assuming this is only regarding the pads? Since 701 has bumpy headband... Or do you mean Q702 with Annie Pads?

Jan 18, 2015 at 4:00 AM Post #1,319 of 4,580
What is the difference between the K7XX and 712Pro in terms of pads, drivers, headphone bumps?

Am I correct in thinking drivers/bumps (or lack of) are the same, but the pads are different in that K7XX is Anniversary Pads which are warmer/more intimate?

Which is more comfortable?
Assuming the K7xx is the Annie as stated by mass drop then it's going to sound a bit different to the K712 although subtle.

The Annie(K712 pads)/possible K7xx are smoother, slightly more intimate but still spacious. Both have bass that is close to neutral although I found the K712 to be a bit more present in the bass. The biggest difference is the K712's upper mids and treble making it bright and more airy compared to the Annie.

The older Annie had mids similar to the LCD2's and HD650 where it was more intimate and lush sounding. The newer one with K712 which is meant to be the K7xx sounds more spacious, less intimate but still somewhere in between the older 65th Annie(small pads) and K712.

The Annie is really the Q701 with different pads and different foam while the K712 seems to be more towards the K701 area that was dryer sounding and slightly more open, extended than the Q701.

When gaming I found the Q's had more controlled soundstage while the K701 seemed to stretch endlessly. The difference are subtle but if you have a good ear for detail you will pick out the differences.

I'm getting the K7xx Monday.

Jan 18, 2015 at 4:12 AM Post #1,320 of 4,580
Assuming the K7xx is the Annie as stated by mass drop then it's going to sound a bit different to the K712 although subtle.

The Annie(K712 pads)/possible K7xx are smoother, slightly more intimate but still spacious. Both have bass that is close to neutral although I found the K712 to be a bit more present in the bass. The biggest difference is the K712's upper mids and treble making it bright and more airy compared to the Annie.

The older Annie had mids similar to the LCD2's and HD650 where it was more intimate and lush sounding. The newer one with K712 which is meant to be the K7xx sounds more spacious, less intimate but still somewhere in between the older 65th Annie(small pads) and K712.

The Annie is really the Q701 with different pads and different foam while the K712 seems to be more towards the K701 area that was dryer sounding and slightly more open, extended than the Q701.

When gaming I found the Q's had more controlled soundstage while the K701 seemed to stretch endlessly. The difference are subtle but if you have a good ear for detail you will pick out the differences.

I'm getting the K7xx Monday.

I look forward to your impressions. It seems that everyone who has experience with the other AKG models either hasn't received them yet or is waiting for an amp that can actually drive them to arrive. Please post back with how you would compare these to other AKGs if you find the time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back