The AKG K7XX Massdrop First Edition Thread
May 11, 2016 at 2:22 PM Post #3,961 of 4,580
  What other headphones do you have or plan to get?  If only for the K7XX I've been using a Ember, great pairing and can also be used for many other headphones.

I also have a Lyr2, Bh Crack, UD-301, AH-01 and Asgard2, all are not bad with the K7XX but Ember gives me the best sound, Lyr2 is second, BH Crack 3rd.  Note that its also tube dependent on which amp pairs well with the K7XX.

Which tube are you using with your Ember.?  I have an Ember - as you undoubtedly know, your choice of tube has major impact on its  sound. I am using a Sylvania 3mica Black Plate 5751 at the moment but use a variety of other pre amp tubes like the 7316 variant of the ECC-82/12AU7, other 5751s, some odd tubes like the  Brimar 13D5 and Haltron 6060 etc.

May 12, 2016 at 6:55 AM Post #3,962 of 4,580
Hifiman HE-350 & Fostex TH-X00, but I would probably use the Hifiman occasionally for testing reasons, and will get either the Chord Mojo or Grace M9XX for the Fostex.. How's the Lyr 2?

I haven't heard either the Mojo or M9xx, and I don't see my self getting either, too low powered and I feel that if you are only going to use them as DACs then there are better options out there to me.

The Lyr2 is quite good but then its really dependent on the tubes used and what headphones you have.  For me the Lyr2 works great with my HE-560, TH-600, LCD-2 and SRH-1840.

May 12, 2016 at 7:02 AM Post #3,963 of 4,580

Which tube are you using with your Ember.?  I have an Ember - as you undoubtedly know, your choice of tube has major impact on its  sound. I am using a Sylvania 3mica Black Plate 5751 at the moment but use a variety of other pre amp tubes like the 7316 variant of the ECC-82/12AU7, other 5751s, some odd tubes like the  Brimar 13D5 and Haltron 6060 etc.

The tubes I've been using: Telefunken 12AU7, Re-issue Mullard and Electro Harmonix, RCA clear top, Sylvania Jan, Baldwin, Bugle Boys, and Reflector 6N23P

May 12, 2016 at 7:12 AM Post #3,964 of 4,580
I haven't heard either the Mojo or M9xx, and I don't see my self getting either, too low powered and I feel that if you are only going to use them as DACs then there are better options out there to me.

The Lyr2 is quite good but then its really dependent on the tubes used and what headphones you have.  For me the Lyr2 works great with my HE-560, TH-600, LCD-2 and SRH-1840.
I see. People are saying the M-Stage HPA-3B is better if you use it with balanced cables.. I'm gonna use it only for K7XX so yea, single ended will be the only one I'm using.. I will be using the T1se as dac. What about the Aune B1 portable amp? Or I should aim for something better?

Received both my Aune T1se & AKG K7XX today. Both arrived at the same time amazingly. I will try it out either tonight or tomorrow. Can't wait!

May 12, 2016 at 7:18 AM Post #3,965 of 4,580
I see. People are saying the M-Stage HPA-3B is better if you use it with balanced cables.. I'm gonna use it only for K7XX so yea, single ended will be the only one I'm using.. I will be using the T1se as dac. What about the Aune B1 portable amp? Or I should aim for something better?

Received both my Aune T1se & AKG K7XX today. Both arrived at the same time amazingly. I will try it out either tonight or tomorrow. Can't wait!

You can re-wire the K7XX for balanced if you want to make the most of the M-Stage amp, I haven't done mine since I don't have a balanced setup, maybe later might try balanced.

I don't have much experience with portable stuff, when I'm on the go I like it as simple as possible, DAP (X3, X3ii and X1) and headphone (Vmoda XS, MDR-7506, Momentum on-ear, or QC-25) only.

May 12, 2016 at 10:26 AM Post #3,966 of 4,580
i got the red/black k7xxs from the last drop, only used them a couple hours, they are comfy and sound good -  but the sound signature  is not for me. anyone want to buy mine? i can do 190 shipped.

May 12, 2016 at 12:28 PM Post #3,967 of 4,580
You can re-wire the K7XX for balanced if you want to make the most of the M-Stage amp, I haven't done mine since I don't have a balanced setup, maybe later might try balanced.

I don't have much experience with portable stuff, when I'm on the go I like it as simple as possible, DAP (X3, X3ii and X1) and headphone (Vmoda XS, MDR-7506, Momentum on-ear, or QC-25) only.
The cable is removable right? So can I find a balanced cable ready made for the K7XX?

I don't mind a desktop amp actually.. Just looking for a decent amp that would elevate the sound even further compared to just using the T1se alone :)

May 12, 2016 at 1:42 PM Post #3,968 of 4,580
The cable is removable right? So can I find a balanced cable ready made for the K7XX?

I don't mind a desktop amp actually.. Just looking for a decent amp that would elevate the sound even further compared to just using the T1se alone
smily_headphones1.gif

The cable is removable but you will also need to change the mini-XLR jack in the ear cup to a 4 pin one to run balanced.  Not really worth doing this mod if for only one headphone to run balanced IMO.

As I mentioned before, one of the most flexible amps that I have is the Project Ember, does well with many headphones and with only one tube to roll its not that hard or costly.

May 12, 2016 at 4:14 PM Post #3,969 of 4,580
The cable is removable but you will also need to change the mini-XLR jack in the ear cup to a 4 pin one to run balanced.  Not really worth doing this mod if for only one headphone to run balanced IMO.

As I mentioned before, one of the most flexible amps that I have is the Project Ember, does well with many headphones and with only one tube to roll its not that hard or costly.
I see, thanks for the explaination. I don't think I'll do that to the headphone. I'm better off finding a more suitable amp.

I don't think the amp is available in the local market here in Malaysia. But I will try my best to find a possibility of buying overseas and having it shipped here. Thanks again man. I'm basically still a newbie :)

May 12, 2016 at 8:41 PM Post #3,970 of 4,580
I see, thanks for the explaination. I don't think I'll do that to the headphone. I'm better off finding a more suitable amp.

I don't think the amp is available in the local market here in Malaysia. But I will try my best to find a possibility of buying overseas and having it shipped here. Thanks again man. I'm basically still a newbie
smily_headphones1.gif

Sorry, didn't know where you were located, Garage 1217 is located in Oregon IIRC, check the web site:http://www.garage1217.com/

You might want to find something available in the Asian market, might be cheaper and easier to get warranty if needed.

May 12, 2016 at 8:54 PM Post #3,971 of 4,580
Sorry, didn't know where you were located, Garage 1217 is located in Oregon IIRC, check the web site:http://www.garage1217.com/

You might want to find something available in the Asian market, might be cheaper and easier to get warranty if needed.
Yeah, getting it from a local shop makes it much easier for me to claim etc.. I wonder if that site delivers worldwide.. Will check it out.. Thanks again.. Btw received it but haven't tried it out properly yet

May 13, 2016 at 6:25 AM Post #3,972 of 4,580
Yeah, getting it from a local shop makes it much easier for me to claim etc.. I wonder if that site delivers worldwide.. Will check it out.. Thanks again.. Btw received it but haven't tried it out properly yet

Nice, I remember my old GF liked a Amprex Bugle Boy with her K7XX but Telefunken CCa with the HD-650, she has the old T1 mk2

May 13, 2016 at 12:08 PM Post #3,973 of 4,580
So I thought my cans at the office developed the dreaded rattle yesterday.  Then I started messing around and noticed the rattle would stop when I turned my head, and I could get it to stop if I held my hand over the left ear cup.  Seems like the fans in my office cause some kind of weird harmonics inside the ear cup that sounds like a rattle.  Not saying that's the case for anyone else, but found it interesting enough to mention.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back