The AKG K7XX Massdrop First Edition Thread
May 7, 2016 at 11:07 AM Post #3,946 of 4,580
  the best dac/amp on the planet didn't do it for you? literally nothing from aune even comes close to the o2odac.

Best amp and DAC that I've heard so far are Master 9 or MHDT Pagoda and Liquid Glass or Liquid Gold, never heard a K7XX on these combos but almost every headphone that I've heard on them sounded superb.  If your criteria for good is neutral/natural then the ODAC/O2 is pretty good but far from best IMO.

The ODAC/O2 with some headphones is dry, thin and lacking dynamics to me and with the K7XX was a bit harsh/grainy in the highs and a little thin, while the Aune T1 mk2 has a much smoother richer sound and a little better dynamics to me, a much more enjoyable sound, does the Aune T1 color the sound, yes, but its a sound signature that I like, my ex also finds the pairing very enjoyable which is the only thing that matters.

May 7, 2016 at 1:46 PM Post #3,947 of 4,580
My Aune T1se will be arriving this week for the soon arriving K7XX. Was wondering whether should I get the O2 amp or not.. Mainly just for trying out different sound signatures & comparing it with the amp on the T1se..

May 8, 2016 at 3:21 AM Post #3,948 of 4,580
My Aune T1se will be arriving this week for the soon arriving K7XX. Was wondering whether should I get the O2 amp or not.. Mainly just for trying out different sound signatures & comparing it with the amp on the T1se..

I would not bother with two amps that are in the same price range, would look for something in the next tier or wait until you get both of your headphones and see if they need something other than the T1se to drive them properly.

May 8, 2016 at 7:53 AM Post #3,949 of 4,580
  I would not bother with two amps that are in the same price range, would look for something in the next tier or wait until you get both of your headphones and see if they need something other than the T1se to drive them properly.

People say that the K7XX "scales" well -- in other words, it gets better with amp upgrades.  I don't have a lot of sample points, but here's what I observed from my own HP amp sources:  

-- on the cheap headphone-out of the Dayton DTA-100a - the K7XX sounds grainy and quite harsh
-- on a Vali hybrid (first edition) - the K7XX sounds smooth, but thin and weak.  Vali 2 is probably better.
-- on a Nuforce HA-200 single ended class A, K7XX smooths out, tight lean bass, and mids are great

So, you can enjoy K7XX on the amp you have, and in a few months or a year, upgrade your amp and have a whole new K7XX experience. :)

May 8, 2016 at 1:07 PM Post #3,950 of 4,580
I own a K702, & also a O2/ODAC,

I feel they are a perfect match which provides incredible value for money & sound quality!

This match should be similar to K7XX. You may also consider Magni2/Modi2.

I paired my k7xx with a vali/modi2 and it was just lovely. I eventually switched to a Grace Design m9xx and have been very happy with it.

My only complaint about these headphones is that my first pair creaks like an old plastic car dash whenever I move my head. The second one is great but that first pair is awful for the creaking. Still sound nice if I stay still.

May 8, 2016 at 1:15 PM Post #3,951 of 4,580
They all creak sooner or later (sooner rather than later, actually, lol), be it K612, K701, K702, K702 Annie, Q701 and K712. Unless you are willing to open them up and install some padding materials here and there, you will have to live with it.

May 8, 2016 at 1:34 PM Post #3,952 of 4,580
Fortunately my K702 doesnt creak at all, no matter even if i dance! [Touchwood] 
k701smile.gif

May 8, 2016 at 1:36 PM Post #3,953 of 4,580
They all creak sooner or later (sooner rather than later, actually, lol), be it K612, K701, K702, K702 Annie, Q701 and K712. Unless you are willing to open them up and install some padding materials here and there, you will have to live with it.

My first pair did it pretty much out of the box while my second hasn't done it at all for the 6 months or so I've had them.

It's annoying enough that I'm wondering if I'd get another to replace these or go with a different open pair of cans.

May 8, 2016 at 5:12 PM Post #3,954 of 4,580
Maybe you haven't noticed or they don't do it as bad, but it's part of the design, or lack of, that they creak.
I have no idea who or why designed them this way, but being all plastic is not a good thing, or maybe they were designed with some textile padding in some areas but they were skipped in production because of cost cutting.

May 8, 2016 at 10:51 PM Post #3,955 of 4,580
  Lucky you if you can call the K7XX end game, your wallet will be very happy
biggrin.gif
.  If you ever want to try improving the sound, I would suggest as @Liu Junyuan mentioned, hybrid tube amps seem to work quite well with the K7XX, Ember and Lyr2 for me.

Interesting comment from you and Liu Junyyuan. I have a Bifrost Uber in my main system I want to upgrade to Bimby....I guess then I should try it with a Lyr 2 on the desktop and give these K7XX's a kick in the tush 
tongue.gif
. Yeah, I would like to hear that.

May 9, 2016 at 1:05 AM Post #3,956 of 4,580
  Interesting comment from you and Liu Junyyuan. I have a Bifrost Uber in my main system I want to upgrade to Bimby....I guess then I should try it with a Lyr 2 on the desktop and give these K7XX's a kick in the tush 
tongue.gif
. Yeah, I would like to hear that.

David A has experience with the Ember, but I can vouch for the K7XX/Lyr 2 as being one of the better headphone/amp synergies I've heard, which "trades blows" with my CTH. Something about hybrids dovetails beautifully with the AKGs. 

I would personally not go for the Bimby. If itching to upgrade, opt for the 4490 or save for the Gungnir MB. 

May 10, 2016 at 6:51 PM Post #3,957 of 4,580
Looking for an amp to use with my K7XX. Currently I have a T1se coming this week together with the K7XX.. Will use that as a DAC.. Options now are the M-stage HPA-3B, Gustard H10, Schiit Lyr 2 / Valhalla 2.. Any ideas on how each would sound like?

May 11, 2016 at 11:45 AM Post #3,958 of 4,580
Looking for an amp to use with my K7XX. Currently I have a T1se coming this week together with the K7XX.. Will use that as a DAC.. Options now are the M-stage HPA-3B, Gustard H10, Schiit Lyr 2 / Valhalla 2.. Any ideas on how each would sound like?

What other headphones do you have or plan to get?  If only for the K7XX I've been using a Ember, great pairing and can also be used for many other headphones.

I also have a Lyr2, Bh Crack, UD-301, AH-01 and Asgard2, all are not bad with the K7XX but Ember gives me the best sound, Lyr2 is second, BH Crack 3rd.  Note that its also tube dependent on which amp pairs well with the K7XX.

May 11, 2016 at 12:35 PM Post #3,959 of 4,580
What other headphones do you have or plan to get?  If only for the K7XX I've been using a Ember, great pairing and can also be used for many other headphones.

I also have a Lyr2, Bh Crack, UD-301, AH-01 and Asgard2, all are not bad with the K7XX but Ember gives me the best sound, Lyr2 is second, BH Crack 3rd.  Note that its also tube dependent on which amp pairs well with the K7XX.
Hifiman HE-350 & Fostex TH-X00, but I would probably use the Hifiman occasionally for testing reasons, and will get either the Chord Mojo or Grace M9XX for the Fostex.. How's the Lyr 2?

May 11, 2016 at 12:39 PM Post #3,960 of 4,580

Using Nuforce HA-200 with my K7XX and quite satisfied with the sound.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back