The AKG K7XX Massdrop First Edition Thread
Apr 26, 2016 at 10:50 PM Post #3,858 of 4,580
(Mesa no speak jargon, pls forgive mesa) Everything here is just my opinion. I also tend to favor neutral or slightly colder sound signatures, undoubtedly a factor.

I will honestly say, that going from the PSB M4U 1 to the K7xx, I am disappointed in the K7xx. At lower volumes, the bass is overwhelming, often drowning out the vocals and highs, while muddying the mids. Comparatively, the M4U1 is neutral/even/balanced(?) all the way from low volume up to a high volume, maintaining perfect listen-ability at all levels (some say it loses composition at high volumes, but I've never wanted to test that out on my ears). It's easy to listen to the PSBs for 3 or 4 hours, or until my ears start sweating to high hell, but with the AKGs, i can feel a headache after just 1 to 2 hours.

At higher volumes, the SQ improves a lot, but it becomes quickly fatiguing. (Not to mention, I don't want to go deaf...) For example the composition Lux Aeterna, from Requiem for a Dream, has that distinct violin line repeated over and over, which rapidly becomes painful on the ears. Listening for any extended period of time on these is sometimes quite difficult. These issues are less prominent on pop tracks and vocals, or anything without a violin or flute, but still problematic.

As for soundstage, these are better than the M4U1, but not by much. I've yet to test it out on gaming, but I'm sure they'll be fine.

I do like how the open back prevents sweating though, and the lightness is incredibly comfortable. Though there are concerns about the top two rails' build quality though, as they feel kinda flimsy.

Everything was going through the Fiio E18, which might favor the M4U1 more, and is often described as a "warm" amp/DAC, but idk...

In the end, this a very good pair of headphones, but certainly not an upgrade to the PSB M4U 1, even less so if it was sold for any higher than $200.

Apr 27, 2016 at 7:20 AM Post #3,859 of 4,580
(Mesa no speak jargon, pls forgive mesa) Everything here is just my opinion. I also tend to favor neutral or slightly colder sound signatures, undoubtedly a factor.

I will honestly say, that going from the PSB M4U 1 to the K7xx, I am disappointed in the K7xx. At lower volumes, the bass is overwhelming, often drowning out the vocals and highs, while muddying the mids. Comparatively, the M4U1 is neutral/even/balanced(?) all the way from low volume up to a high volume, maintaining perfect listen-ability at all levels (some say it loses composition at high volumes, but I've never wanted to test that out on my ears). It's easy to listen to the PSBs for 3 or 4 hours, or until my ears start sweating to high hell, but with the AKGs, i can feel a headache after just 1 to 2 hours.

At higher volumes, the SQ improves a lot, but it becomes quickly fatiguing. (Not to mention, I don't want to go deaf...) For example the composition Lux Aeterna, from Requiem for a Dream, has that distinct violin line repeated over and over, which rapidly becomes painful on the ears. Listening for any extended period of time on these is sometimes quite difficult. These issues are less prominent on pop tracks and vocals, or anything without a violin or flute, but still problematic.

As for soundstage, these are better than the M4U1, but not by much. I've yet to test it out on gaming, but I'm sure they'll be fine.

I do like how the open back prevents sweating though, and the lightness is incredibly comfortable. Though there are concerns about the top two rails' build quality though, as they feel kinda flimsy.

Everything was going through the Fiio E18, which might favor the M4U1 more, and is often described as a "warm" amp/DAC, but idk...

In the end, this a very good pair of headphones, but certainly not an upgrade to the PSB M4U 1, even less so if it was sold for any higher than $200.

Get an o2odac. It's the best dac amp on the planet, and anything else worth buying is going to sound exactly like it and cost over a thousand dollars. O2odac is virtuality the only DAC/amp that does what a DAC/amp is supposed to do. The DAC gives a clean conversion with minimum distortion, and the amp amplifies the signal without changing it. If you want to change the sound, change your headphones.

It's amazing how many headphones I've tried on various schiit stacks that I thought were too fatiguing but sounded heavenly on the o2odac. Dont fall for bullschiit.

Apr 27, 2016 at 9:41 AM Post #3,860 of 4,580

You are used to what most people consider is a fairly neutral headphone, whereas the K7XX are a bit warm with a little boosted bass. Probably just need to give the K7XX some time to see what you think after adjusting to them.

Apr 27, 2016 at 10:03 AM Post #3,861 of 4,580
Get an o2odac. It's the best dac amp on the planet, and anything else worth buying is going to sound exactly like it and cost over a thousand dollars. O2odac is virtuality the only DAC/amp that does what a DAC/amp is supposed to do. The DAC gives a clean conversion with minimum distortion, and the amp amplifies the signal without changing it. If you want to change the sound, change your headphones.

It's amazing how many headphones I've tried on various schiit stacks that I thought were too fatiguing but sounded heavenly on the o2odac. Dont fall for bullschiit.

O2/ODAC is a great combo for the price, tried it for a few weeks, a little on the dry side with higher impedance headphones and lacks dynamics with planars from my short time with it.  With the K7XX it made them bight/harsh to me and my GF, it did better with a tube amp.  Original M/M stack is also not bad for the price, also on the bright side to me.

Apr 27, 2016 at 11:32 AM Post #3,862 of 4,580
O2/ODAC is a great combo for the price, tried it for a few weeks, a little on the dry side with higher impedance headphones and lacks dynamics with planars from my short time with it.  With the K7XX it made them bight/harsh to me and my GF, it did better with a tube amp.  Original M/M stack is also not bad for the price, also on the bright side to me.
Which tube amp did you try it with?

Apr 27, 2016 at 5:02 PM Post #3,865 of 4,580
And which did you like the best? Hehe

I placed an order on the Aune T1se based on your recommendation btw
smily_headphones1.gif

Best is Ember, but it really depends on the tubes installed, BH Crack if using TS-5998 power tube, Lyr2 with some tubes.

My ex-GF has a Aune T1 and loves it with K7XX and HD-650.

Apr 28, 2016 at 3:04 AM Post #3,867 of 4,580
Anyone experience creaking when simply moving your head with these? I know they are all plastic, but it seems quite excessive.

There is a lot of creaking when holding the cups as I place them on my head but not much after that.  If they move while on my head there is creaking but stops as soon as they stop moving.

Apr 28, 2016 at 11:23 AM Post #3,868 of 4,580
so i notice it says that massdrop contacts the manufacturer for  a drop after 200 requests, but all the differnt k7xx's on the massdrop have well over 200 requests (over 400-700!)....so is massdrop making a reasonable attempt to try to get more k7xx drops? or do they know that there is a lot of demand and are milking the desire to release batches more spread out kanye west style? i mean i got mine coming, but i got in on the last day, and it gives me the tingles to think what if i didnt order that day! i could be here without  a paddle! but then maybe i would find solace in some he-400is or something right? and who knows, maybe i wont even like the k7xx, so just gonna take it day by day and see what happens -  its just frustrating though cus i still have not found "my headphones" so i feel empty and desperate, but just gonna take it day by day and see what happens and try to keep an open mind.  

Apr 28, 2016 at 12:24 PM Post #3,869 of 4,580
so i notice it says that massdrop contacts the manufacturer for  a drop after 200 requests . . . .

That statement is not a guarantee from them. It is a general explanation of how drop polling work. And obviously, the K7XX are not a standard product that necessarily fits with that guideline since it's a limited edition created specifically for Massdrop.

so is massdrop making a reasonable attempt to try to get more k7xx drops?

I'm sure it's based on a great variety of business decision factors that we are not privy to, and thus probably not worth speculating on.

Apr 28, 2016 at 12:26 PM Post #3,870 of 4,580
Come on, be serious, it's not such a limited edition, it sold probably more than the K712.
It's a K702 Annie with Massdrop logo, all black design (or black/red, depending on version) and K7XX instead of K702. Oh, yes, and built in China instead of Austria or Slovakia.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back