The AKG K7XX Massdrop First Edition Thread
May 25, 2015 at 5:00 PM Post #2,432 of 4,580
I am not worried about ubiquity, and can't imagine infamy for the moment.  The only thought I had was that they said they had 6,000 KXXs last time and aren't saying how any now. just a certain number of days.  Did that change and they are "limiting" this edition, to ???  Doesn't really trouble me as I rarely sell my gear, but if I were to do that, with these in the near future, the supply might exceed the demand.

May 25, 2015 at 10:48 PM Post #2,433 of 4,580
  I am not worried about ubiquity, and can't imagine infamy for the moment.  The only thought I had was that they said they had 6,000 KXXs last time and aren't saying how any now. just a certain number of days.  Did that change and they are "limiting" this edition, to ???  Doesn't really trouble me as I rarely sell my gear, but if I were to do that, with these in the near future, the supply might exceed the demand.

I think it may be difficult to get back full $199 on these headphones now that there is no longer a hard cap on its supply, but you should be able to easily sell them at minimal loss in the future.

I have seen head-fiers moving first edition headphones at full price. probably will not be able to do that with the limited edition ones. still very nice well-performing headphones that punches way beyond its weight.

May 25, 2015 at 10:51 PM Post #2,434 of 4,580
  I think it may be difficult to get back full $199 on these headphones now that there is no longer a hard cap on its supply, but you should be able to easily sell them at minimal loss in the future.

I have seen head-fiers moving first edition headphones at full price. probably will not be able to do that with the limited edition ones. still very nice well-performing headphones that punches way beyond its weight.

I bought mine to listen to, not sell. The price-performance ratio is superb on these, and I plan to keep them for a long time. Not concerned about resale value.

May 25, 2015 at 11:15 PM Post #2,435 of 4,580
I bought mine to listen to, not sell. The price-performance ratio is superb on these, and I plan to keep them for a long time. Not concerned about resale value.

hahah I totally agree. I still have mine as well. In addition to its sick performance:price ratio, it's actually the serial number that is preventing me from moving my pair. lucky #250. the last one of the guaranteed serial numbers hahah =P makes me feel special.

May 26, 2015 at 9:37 AM Post #2,436 of 4,580
Picking up a pair of these this week.  My first pair of AKG headphones...looking forward to testing them out.  You guys have any amp suggestions?  I might try and push for a Lyr 2 if it is in my budget but I would like to hear cheaper suggestions that would perform well with them.  Thanks!

May 26, 2015 at 10:23 AM Post #2,437 of 4,580
  Picking up a pair of these this week.  My first pair of AKG headphones...looking forward to testing them out.  You guys have any amp suggestions?  I might try and push for a Lyr 2 if it is in my budget but I would like to hear cheaper suggestions that would perform well with them.  Thanks!

Gustard H10 $350 shipped. Sounds amazing with them. Aune T1 Mk2 as well as more affordable option. Or Cayin C5 if you need portable power.

May 26, 2015 at 10:25 AM Post #2,438 of 4,580

I currently run them from the E12A, JDS Labs O2, and Cypher Labs Picollo. E12A and O2 are very reasonable, and have no trouble powering the K7XX beautifully.

May 26, 2015 at 11:35 AM Post #2,440 of 4,580
May 26, 2015 at 12:06 PM Post #2,441 of 4,580
Does anyone have experience and know how AKG K7XX compare with Beyer. DT150 and Yamaha MT220 with respect to neutrality, details, resolution and balance? I'm considering if I should join the drop from Massdrop. Any information will be much appreciated.

May 26, 2015 at 12:53 PM Post #2,442 of 4,580

Asgard 2 is also quite good with them. People seem to overlook it because it's one of the cheaper Schiit amps, but it's really quite versatile with the added gain switch and very low noise floor.

May 26, 2015 at 12:58 PM Post #2,444 of 4,580

If you want to try tubes, one of the Garage1217 amps are killer deals and very versatile.

The Matrix M-Stage is known to pair quite well with AKG's too.  I used mine with my old pair of AKG Q701 and it worked great.

May 26, 2015 at 1:03 PM Post #2,445 of 4,580

Check out the Garage 1217 Project amps. I really like the Polaris with the K7xx. It runs about $250 built, or you can get a kit for $215. I t has plenty of power, offers lots of things to tweak. I f you want to play with tube rolling they also have several hybrid amps. I have the Sunrise III. Lots of folks also like the Project Ember. Just some other options that is not often mentioned here... except on their respective threads where you will find lots of happy owners.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back