The AKG K7XX Massdrop First Edition Thread
May 24, 2015 at 10:03 AM Post #2,416 of 4,580
  Really interested in this one but I still prefer white Q701/K701 :)

The white Q701 would have looked great, if they left out that stupid Quincy Jones neon green! Ugh, really can't stand that colour. At least the cable can be switched out, but the headband stitching you can't...

With that said love the all black look of the K7XX as well. An all white would be nice as well, but I'd think there would be a lot of discolouration problems down the road with parts like the leather, cable etc. from use and yellowing over time.

May 24, 2015 at 10:58 AM Post #2,418 of 4,580

The white Q701 would have looked great, if they left out that stupid Quincy Jones neon green! Ugh, really can't stand that colour. At least the cable can be switched out, but the headband stitching you can't...

With that said love the all black look of the K7XX as well. An all white would be nice as well, but I'd think there would be a lot of discolouration problems down the road with parts like the leather, cable etc. from use and yellowing over time.

I totally can't stand a big green thing on my head! At least there is a white version and the stitching can only be seen from the top. So as for appearance I like K701 a little bit more.

May 24, 2015 at 11:21 AM Post #2,419 of 4,580
  ahhh an all white version of the K7xx would be sickkk! I would totally purchase again lol

Me too. I look back fondly on the days when I was first getting into higher-end headphones (nearly a decade ago) and I discovered the K701. It was--and still is--a great looking can. I had just purchased a pair of Bose headphones (don't judge me) and started to wonder "hmm… I wonder what else is out there?" Should have done my research before buying.

May 24, 2015 at 4:25 PM Post #2,420 of 4,580

Me too. I look back fondly on the days when I was first getting into higher-end headphones (nearly a decade ago) and I discovered the K701. It was--and still is--a great looking can. I had just purchased a pair of Bose headphones (don't judge me) and started to wonder "hmm… I wonder what else is out there?" Should have done my research before buying.

Quiet Comfort 25's aren't bad for best buy headphones.

But compared to what the austrians do.......

May 25, 2015 at 9:22 AM Post #2,422 of 4,580
  There are some akg k7xx 1st edition available now at Massdrop here!!!!

Not sure if they are or aren't "First" edition. They're listed as "Special" edition, and availability (shipping) isn't until the end of June, which makes me think AKG has done another production run perhaps.

May 25, 2015 at 9:28 AM Post #2,423 of 4,580
  Not sure if they are or aren't "First" edition. They're listed as "Special" edition, and availability (shipping) isn't until the end of June, which makes me think AKG has done another production run perhaps.

you are actually probably right. edited my post.

May 25, 2015 at 9:32 AM Post #2,424 of 4,580
  you are actually probably right. edited my post.

Either way, thanks for the heads up. Have a pair of first edition, and imagine these will be just as good.

By the way, was it you asking for a comparison with the R70x? Received them yesterday and they're AMAZING. Will compare soon, but have a lot on the go this week with the Calgary Head-Fi meet happening Sunday.

May 25, 2015 at 9:36 AM Post #2,425 of 4,580
Looks like this is a "new" edition. Text from the drop page: "Note: This is the first run of the Limited Edition K7XX headphone. Each unit is still individually serialized, but will not have the "First Edition" text on the packaging."

May 25, 2015 at 10:03 AM Post #2,427 of 4,580
  Looks like this is a "new" edition. Text from the drop page: "Note: This is the first run of the Limited Edition K7XX headphone. Each unit is still individually serialized, but will not have the "First Edition" text on the packaging."

Any details on number of units they're producing/selling? Price still at $200 I assume?

May 25, 2015 at 10:05 AM Post #2,428 of 4,580

Any details on number of units they're producing/selling? Price still at $200 I assume?

No idea on numbers. Price is the same (so yes, $200).

May 25, 2015 at 10:16 AM Post #2,429 of 4,580

No idea on numbers. Price is the same (so yes, $200).

I think this is probably a good thing. 6,000 units was enough that I think most head-fiers who really wanted a pair were able to get their hands on the K7XX. But with more availability, I think these cans could be as ubiquitous and adored as the infamous HD600/650. They're better headphones than the 600/650s in my opinion.

May 25, 2015 at 11:02 AM Post #2,430 of 4,580

Either way, thanks for the heads up. Have a pair of first edition, and imagine these will be just as good.

By the way, was it you asking for a comparison with the R70x? Received them yesterday and they're AMAZING. Will compare soon, but have a lot on the go this week with the Calgary Head-Fi meet happening Sunday.

It might have been me.   I have the K7XX and ATH-AD1000x, but I'm not sure how they compare.  Well anyways thanks in advance for the comparison details.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back