The AKG K712 Pro Support and Impressions Thread
Mar 18, 2016 at 11:17 AM Post #4,381 of 6,349
  I wouldn't do it. K712 is a current hungry bear, something the Valhalla 2 lacks as it's a rather a VOLTAGE SWINGING DEMON OF HELL made for high impededance cans like Beyers, HD 600/650, 800 etc..

Have you tried this in practice? I would really like to know how it performs (with the Valhalla 2) in real world tests. Is it loud enough? Does it sound good? What about bass performance?

Mar 18, 2016 at 6:13 PM Post #4,382 of 6,349
  I wouldn't do it. K712 is a current hungry bear, something the Valhalla 2 lacks as it's a rather a VOLTAGE SWINGING DEMON OF HELL made for high impededance cans like Beyers, HD 600/650, 800 etc..

Hi,since i was about to buy the K712 do you think the soundblaster G5 can handle them? this are the specs of the E5 but i think E5 and G5 share the same specs in terms of output
Creative E5 Power Output
 32Ω - ~1.84V, 105mW (Low Gain)
300Ω - ~ 1.78V, 109 mW (High Gain)
600Ω - ~ 5.72V, 54mW (High Gain)
Headphone Output Impedance 2.2Ω

Thank you.

Mar 18, 2016 at 9:17 PM Post #4,383 of 6,349
I feel like I've been comparing the wrong headphones for my next buy. I should have been comparing AKG K712 Pro with Sennheiser HD 600 for mixing and not with DT 880.

Which headphones would you guys get for mixing gothic rock / alternative rock? I've heard that HD 600 has more "neutral" soundstage and is lower in bass. I would guess that wider soundstage of AKG K712 Pro would be a good thing for gothic?

Not sure yet which headphones would be more appropriate for me, I need some help here.

Mar 19, 2016 at 1:35 AM Post #4,384 of 6,349
Has anyone tried the AKG K712 with the Schiit Valhalla 2 OTL amplifer? Does it have good synergy with this amplifier? I would like to know.

I've tried the K712 with the Valhalla 2. It wasn't "bad" per se, but it definitely wasn't great, and it sounded better-balanced even out of my solid-state HeadAmp Gilmore Lite (which is saying something, because it doesn't drive the K712 all that well and causes a bass detraction). The K712 sounded pretty good out of the Garage1217 Project Solstice (with a 6SN7 tube) that I had at the same time, but the best inexpensive amp I've heard it on so far has been the Garage1217 Project Ember (it's tube-dependent though, I got the best results with a 12AX7-type tube).

I feel like I've been comparing the wrong headphones for my next buy. I should have been comparing AKG K712 Pro with Sennheiser HD 600 for mixing and not with DT 880.  
Which headphones would you guys get for mixing gothic rock / alternative rock? I've heard that HD 600 has more "neutral" soundstage and is lower in bass. I would guess that wider soundstage of AKG K712 Pro would be a good thing for gothic?

Not sure yet which headphones would be more appropriate for me, I need some help here.

The HD600 is sort of recessed in the 80-200 Hz region and the K712 is even more recessed in that region (it has more sub-bass than mid-bass), so I'd recommend neither for that kind of music. Maybe consider the Audio-Technica R70x? Unlike the other two it actually has a very solid amount of mid-bass.

Mar 19, 2016 at 11:32 AM Post #4,385 of 6,349
Originally Posted by Asr /img/forum/go_quote.gif

The HD600 is sort of recessed in the 80-200 Hz region and the K712 is even more recessed in that region (it has more sub-bass than mid-bass), so I'd recommend neither for that kind of music. Maybe consider the Audio-Technica R70x? Unlike the other two it actually has a very solid amount of mid-bass.

Can you say with confidence that AT R70x would be more appropriate for me? As a part of Gothic rock, I'll mostly work on piano, synth, strings, rock guitars and bass. First time I hear of this headphones, although according to reviews they are great headphones. Have to say, they look pretty sweet, just wondering if they'll give me a more accurate mix.

Mar 20, 2016 at 1:03 AM Post #4,387 of 6,349
  So Guys i bought K712 +Antlion ModMic 4.0 any amp can be used? What Amp i cant get to have best without +- 170 U$?

I'm not expert here but people have been saying that Schiit Vali 2 is the best low price amp for K712 if you want a nice color to the sound.

http://schiit.com/products/vali-2

It's €151, but to that, you have to add the cost of customs and shipment if you are not from USA.

Otherwise Objective 2 which gives a more neutral sound and can still fully power it (O2 can power 90%-95% of existing headphones on the market).

If you are from Europe, this is a shop from Switzerland (not part of EU) (if you pick the last shipping option, you don't pay any customs because they send it every Wednesday from Germany I believe):

http://www.headnhifi.com/objective2

If you are from USA:
https://www.jdslabs.com/products/35/objective2-headphone-amplifier/
https://www.mayflowerelectronics.com/shop/headphone-amplifiers/standard-objective2-headphone-amplifier/

Each of those sellers also has a desktop version of O2 if you don't need portable battery style.

Mar 20, 2016 at 2:47 AM Post #4,388 of 6,349
Can you say with confidence that AT R70x would be more appropriate for me? As a part of Gothic rock, I'll mostly work on piano, synth, strings, rock guitars and bass. First time I hear of this headphones, although according to reviews they are great headphones. Have to say, they look pretty sweet, just wondering if they'll give me a more accurate mix.

No I can't say that with any confidence when I have no idea of what your gear is or what your preferences are, but you should hear the R70x for yourself to decide if it'd be appropriate for your usage. I can't tell from your posts whether you're in the USA or not, but there are a bunch of online retailers who sell the R70x, some of which have great return policies. Or you could try to look for a used set on the FS forums.

The Yamaha MT220 is very similar sonically to the R70x, if you'd prefer to get a closed, low-impedance, efficient headphone instead (since the R70x is open, high-impedance, and inefficient).

Mar 20, 2016 at 3:05 AM Post #4,389 of 6,349
I'm from Europe and I don't own any headphone equipment yet. I will mix only with headphones since I have horrible place for monitors at the moment. I want neutral sounding headphones (flat) for as accurate mixes as possible. I plan to get Head N Hifi Objective2 since It's the only amp in price range of under 120€ that is very good overall. My interface is Focusrite Scarlett 2i4. 

Mar 21, 2016 at 9:44 AM Post #4,392 of 6,349

Can someone answer this for me please? Using the sabre ES9023 with a cayin c5 portable amp, is this setup sufficient to get good performance from these headphones?

The sabre is a portable android dac by the way

Im not sure how helpful this is buttttt - I just bought these headphones - played them on the DX80 DAP - same chips?
Anyway its a plenty powerful player but they sounded only 'quite good' - no bass to speak off
However it was only when amping them that they improved into a very very nice sounding headphone. Without a descent power to drive them there was no meat or bass to them :)

Mar 21, 2016 at 11:08 AM Post #4,393 of 6,349
 Im not sure how helpful this is buttttt - I just bought these headphones - played them on the DX80 DAP - same chips?
Anyway its a plenty powerful player but they sounded only 'quite good' - no bass to speak off
However it was only when amping them that they improved into a very very nice sounding headphone. Without a descent power to drive them there was no meat or bass to them :)

So as long as the cayin c5 is in the set up, the headphones should be powered enough? The c5 is like fiio e12 but better apparently, not sure as ive never used one. Cheers for reply. Im thinking of these open backs for rock like springsteen, kings of leon, oasis etc

Mar 21, 2016 at 11:56 AM Post #4,394 of 6,349
So as long as the cayin c5 is in the set up, the headphones should be powered enough? The c5 is like fiio e12 but better apparently, not sure as ive never used one. Cheers for reply. Im thinking of these open backs for rock like springsteen, kings of leon, oasis etc

I have a Hifime 9018D (contains a Sabre ES9018K2M DAC chip) plus a Cayin C5 combo and it sounds reasonably good. Cayin C5 can power HD6xx no problem so I see no reason why it couldn't the K712 Pro.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back