The AKG K1000s...?
Apr 20, 2009 at 1:10 AM Post #47 of 88
Yeah, there's that one, too.

Quote:

NOTE: "K1000 KILLER" is included in the title to draw attention to this thread and help keep it alive. I have not yet heard them and I do not know how they compare to the K1000.

So much for his credibility and any chance that he previously had of anyone taking him seriously.
tongue.gif

Apr 20, 2009 at 1:48 AM Post #48 of 88
Oh boy. From Amazon:

Quote:

I bought this Sony PFRV1 from curiosity. The low frequency range certainly is lacking with at least 2 octaves of the music are missing.
The near field sound stage from the unit is poor, with the sound focus at the back of the skull and neck, not in your head, nor in front of your skull. The extended bass tube in-ear placement is not comfortable either and prevent long time wearing. The longest time I can bear to put this gear on my head with my favourite music is about 30 mins. The Sony PFRV1 headphone design team (s) and their manager(s) should be fired. The advantages of near field open air headphone /loudspeaker system are not realised in this product.

And here's a little snippet from a gem-of-a-review on the MDR-F1s...

Quote:

But that is just comfort and style. The sound is a totally seperate story. Talk about AMAZING!! I comapred them to my friends noise-canceling Bose headphones, and there were many differences. Please note that I turned the noise-cancelation on for the tests, so give it as much help as it could get. Now I should mention that I am a real Audiophile, and can be very picky about this. I rated the sound of the MDR's on a 1-10 scale, with 1 at Discusting and 10 for Unbelievable.

Apr 20, 2009 at 4:49 AM Post #49 of 88
Quote:

Originally Posted by mypasswordis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey Fitz, remember that idiot who made that thread with 'K100 killer' in the title just to get some views?
icon10.gif
I don't remember his handle, though.

He sold his quickly after for around 200. I have the MDR F1 and auditioned the K1000 on a 'decent' amp. No comparison.. Totally in another league.. By itself, the F1s R/L Width and depth is hard to beat for a lot of regular dynamic headphones.

Apr 21, 2009 at 4:00 PM Post #52 of 88
The K1000 is definitely well worth looking into!
k1000smile.gif
smile.gif

They are a very special pair of headphones (-speakers), both in design and how they present sound.

Be prepared to match them with top quality amplification and source though.

Apr 21, 2009 at 10:55 PM Post #53 of 88
Quote:

Originally Posted by krmathis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The K1000 is definitely well worth looking into!
k1000smile.gif
smile.gif

They are a very special pair of headphones (-speakers), both in design and how they present sound.

Be prepared to match them with top quality amplification and source though.

Agreed. With the proper cables and good amplification, they can be remarkable. They can sound awful without it!

Apr 21, 2009 at 11:35 PM Post #55 of 88
Quote:

Originally Posted by troymadison /img/forum/go_quote.gif
They are great headphones but I'd recommend the K701 over them. Ideally I'd have both.

Interesting thought. I would like to hear a pair of 702's with good cables compared with them. They are just so different. I have yet to buy a pair of 702's.

Apr 21, 2009 at 11:35 PM Post #56 of 88
Quote:

They are great headphones but I'd recommend the K701 over them. Ideally I'd have both.

100% Blasphemy. lol

How can you feel this way? What do you prefer with the K701? That is interesting, the K701 is definitely different. The K1000 is closer in signature to the K501 imo, just on an entirely different level.

Apr 22, 2009 at 12:16 AM Post #57 of 88
Quote:

Originally Posted by number1sixerfan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
100% Blasphemy. lol

How can you feel this way? What do you prefer with the K701? That is interesting, the K701 is definitely different. The K1000 is closer in signature to the K501 imo, just on an entirely different level.

Yeah, the K501 is very similar to the K1000. IMO, all AKGs share the same basic sound signature, or at least all the ones I tried. (K1000, K701, K601, K501, K500) The K701 just sounds exactly what I want in a headphone currently. I can't really explain it further than that very well. I guess it could be the right amount of soundstage, dynamics, resolution and etc. I actually sold my K1000 in favor of the Quart QP55x a while back. And yes, I had enough power for the K1000. I tried them out of a few reference amplifiers and some recommended amplifiers.

Apr 22, 2009 at 12:20 AM Post #58 of 88
Quote:

Yeah, the K501 is very similar to the K1000. IMO, all AKGs share the same basic sound signature, or at least all the ones I tried. (K1000, K701, K601, K501, K500) The K701 just sounds exactly what I want in a headphone currently. I can't really explain it further than that very well. I guess it could be the right amount of soundstage, dynamics, resolution and etc. I actually sold my K1000 in favor of the Quart QP55x a while back. And yes, I had enough power for the K1000. I tried them out of a few reference amplifiers and some recommended amplifiers.

Your right, the AKG's all share a lot of the same qualities. Open sounding, dynamic(except a little light on bass at times), large soundstages, beautiful vocals, etc. The K701 just sounding a little less natural than the K501 and K1000 to me. But this just goes to show you, to each their own.
beerchug.gif

Apr 22, 2009 at 12:21 AM Post #59 of 88
Quote:

Your right, the AKG's all share a lot of the same qualities. Open sounding, dynamic(except a little light on bass at times), large soundstages, beautiful vocals, etc. The K701 just sounding a little less natural than the K501 and K1000 to me. But this just goes to show you, to each their own.
beerchug.gif

I used to like the K501 much more than the K701.

Apr 22, 2009 at 12:56 AM Post #60 of 88
Quote:

beerchug.gif

Can you elaborate on what you mean by the 701s being 'less natural' (or 'plastic' as some have put it)?

I'm curious to find out as this seems to be the other major complaint of the K701/702 besides the lack of bass.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back