The AKG K1000s...?
Apr 19, 2009 at 7:02 PM Post #32 of 88
Very special headphones.. They do remind me a lot of the DT48, minus the glaring soundstage of course.. They both have a, next level sound to them in how they display the music.. Erik needs to do a K1000/DT48 comparison.

Apr 19, 2009 at 7:03 PM Post #33 of 88
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
DIY K-1000 style headphones have been made by members. The most successful being the Phonodome.

If anyone wants to hear the K-1000, there will be several pairs at CanJam next month. Mine will be connected to the speaker taps on a Moth Si2A3 and everyone is welcome to listen.

The problem with meets, though, is that there's enough background noise that you don't really get the full enjoyment of the K-1000. When you have some quiet time with a pair, you will hear how special they truly are. It's not just a speaker-like presentation, but that of a near perfect speaker in a near perfect room. It isn't perfect, but the soundstage is only bettered by dipoles in a well sorted listening room. My opinion, but hearing a carefully set up Quad ESL-57 was a revelation. My Quads aren't so lucky with the room, but I ain't complaining. Maybe when real estate truly reaches bottom I can give my Quads the room they deserve.
smily_headphones1.gif

Anyhow, go out of your way to hear or buy a K-1000 if you can. They're special. I'm still upset that AKG canceled them and gave us the K-701 as a "flagship." [angrily shakes fist] If AKG knows what's good for them, they'll bring the K-1000 back around $800 and watch it lay waste to the HD-800 and PS-1000. AKG should also issue a formal apology for the K-701. Though if they quietly upgraded them with K-501 drivers, that would be enough.

Like always, Erik, I agree with you.

Apr 19, 2009 at 7:22 PM Post #34 of 88
Are there are any other headphones that take on the earspeaker design?

It's kind of confusing why AKG would abandon these... There's a pretty clear desire for them (at least in here!) and they are very unique...

Apr 19, 2009 at 7:27 PM Post #35 of 88
Quote:

Originally Posted by Starguard /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Are there are any other headphones that take on the earspeaker design?

It's kind of confusing why AKG would abandon these... There's a pretty clear desire for them (at least in here!) and they are very unique...

They been around since 91 I think. They were not popular when in production, only when discontinued. I remember a head fier getting his for 400. Now, 1000, bare minimum.

Apr 19, 2009 at 7:56 PM Post #36 of 88
Quote:

Originally Posted by Fitz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Mine can be uncomfortable sometimes, but I've loosened the headband tension so it's not that bad most of the time.

You bent them outwards? and for how long?

Apr 19, 2009 at 7:59 PM Post #37 of 88
Quote:

Originally Posted by djork /img/forum/go_quote.gif

For how long?
confused.gif

I gently flexed them outwards at the bends, I don't know how a time length applies here.

Apr 19, 2009 at 8:08 PM Post #38 of 88
OK
smily_headphones1.gif
just did that. feels a little better...

Apr 20, 2009 at 12:18 AM Post #40 of 88
Quote:

Originally Posted by djork /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Be careful, the heat-strengthened metal band can snap in half. I bent a pair waaaaaay beyond their original shape. They no longer look good, but fit excellently.

It literally took me days to get these things stretched out because it made me so nervous doing it. I stretched the band with a gentle even rocking motion, never exceeding the elastic limit, and ever so slightly adding a bit more stress each time I rocked these suckers outward. But it resulted in a perfect fit.

The tight vice-grip fit has swayed many people away from this fabulous headphone. Stretching them is the solution.

Please be careful! There aren't that many of these things in existence.

Apr 20, 2009 at 12:23 AM Post #41 of 88
Quote:

Originally Posted by tev /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Be careful, the heat-strengthened metal band can snap in half. I bent a pair waaaaaay beyond their original shape. They no longer look good, but fit excellently.

It literally took me days to get these things stretched out because it made me so nervous doing it. I stretched the band with a gentle even rocking motion, never exceeding the elastic limit, and ever so slightly adding a bit more stress each time I rocked these suckers outward. But it resulted in a perfect fit.

The tight vice-grip fit has swayed many people away form this fabulous headphone. Stretching them is the solution.

Please be careful! There aren't that many of these things in existence.

12,000 or so. Hardly rare as far as this hobby goes.

Apr 20, 2009 at 12:26 AM Post #42 of 88
Quote:

Originally Posted by Duggeh /img/forum/go_quote.gif
12,000 or so. Hardly rare as far as this hobby goes.

True. But think of posterity. There may never be another can like the K1K.

Apr 20, 2009 at 12:51 AM Post #43 of 88
Quote:

Originally Posted by Starguard /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Are there are any other headphones that take on the earspeaker design?...

Sony MDR-F1 and Sony PFR-V1 emphasis the earspeaker design.There is even a thread here that mentions how the PFR-V1 is a K1000 killer! I wonder if this is true?

Apr 20, 2009 at 1:01 AM Post #44 of 88
Quote:

Originally Posted by Caribou679 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sony MDR-F1 and Sony PFR-V1 emphasis the earspeaker design.There is even a thread here that mentions how the PFR-V1 is a K1000 killer! I wonder if this is true?

You might do well to actually look at that thread that calls it a "K1000 killer" first.
wink.gif

Apr 20, 2009 at 1:05 AM Post #45 of 88
Hey Fitz, remember that idiot who made that thread with 'K100 killer' in the title just to get some views?
icon10.gif
I don't remember his handle, though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back