The AK320 thread
Sep 27, 2016 at 3:32 PM Post #572 of 743
Heard that the AK380Cu is much better than the standard 380 and 320 with amp. Might want to audition it at your local store. Don't have a unit that can be auditioned in my local store

That's way over my budget unfortunately. I'm more interested if there will be an improvement in quality given that my whole collection is 44.1/16.

Sep 27, 2016 at 8:58 PM Post #573 of 743
  "Home" button - pressure-sensitive my as... all but useless
Vol knob - accident waiting to happen, I guess... *sigh*
Screw-Cap for 380 Amp ... reason the unit doesn't sit flat and rocks when touched... . Shall we stay positive and call it "improved ventilation"... ?
Case Labels are (AFAIK) printed/ painted on; some laser work would have insured longevity...
USB Port - either not the best alignment with case or a proprietary solution... (the former is assumed)
Notifications Area - message: "SD Card Safely Removed" ... click on the arrow next to message and the card will be (future-tense) safely removed...
Optical -> ext. DAC (Mojo); DSD is not bit-perfect, rather converted to PCM... (Mojo reports 176KHz PCM with a DSD128 file)
USB DAC -> Foobar2000 needs WASAPI "PUSH"; "Event" produces pulsating(?) output. Otherwise works as advertised, limited to 24b96K PCM only (just like my €200 AQ Dragonfly Red...)
EDIT: OTG -> Can't get it to work (with Mojo)... rats.

You are mostly nit-picking here I believe.

Sep 27, 2016 at 9:18 PM Post #574 of 743

"Home" button - pressure-sensitive my as... all but useless
Vol knob - accident waiting to happen, I guess... *sigh*
Screw-Cap for 380 Amp ... reason the unit doesn't sit flat and rocks when touched... . Shall we stay positive and call it "improved ventilation"... ?
Case Labels are (AFAIK) printed/ painted on; some laser work would have insured longevity...
USB Port - either not the best alignment with case or a proprietary solution... (the former is assumed)
Notifications Area - message: "SD Card Safely Removed" ... click on the arrow next to message and the card will be (future-tense) safely removed...
Optical -> ext. DAC (Mojo); DSD is not bit-perfect, rather converted to PCM... (Mojo reports 176KHz PCM with a DSD128 file)
USB DAC -> Foobar2000 needs WASAPI "PUSH"; "Event" produces pulsating(?) output. Otherwise works as advertised, limited to 24b96K PCM only (just like my €200 AQ Dragonfly Red...)
EDIT: OTG -> Can't get it to work (with Mojo)... rats.

You are mostly nit-picking here I believe.

It's no more than part of a long "unboxing checklist" and I thought more useful than to list the things that "work as intended". We can all read A&K's specifications sheet
smile.gif

Furthermore, there's no such thing as "Nit-picking" when we are dealing with an €1.8K DAP
wink.gif

beerchug.gif

p.s. Assuming the SQ passes muster (so far so good), I am overall quite pleased with A&K's efforts.

I'm a fan of Android-based Smartphones so it's nice to see a familiar UI. Implementation of SE / Balanced (so far so good - see 380 thread), WLAN & BT, direct access to storage (MTP), organization using folders (and not only music-file properties like genre, etc.) - awesome.

The fact that the 3xx AKs can be used as a ("Plug n Play") external DAC and now with a FW update, can also be used as a BitPerfect Transport means top flexibility with one device. I even thanked A&K on their FB site for the additional functionality! I'm not a Tidal user but surely A&K will provide support for this as well in the near future. I think they are well aware of the demand for it!

On top of all that, there is A&K's own expansion / utilities (DLNA - AK Connect / Cradle / Amp / Ripper). So in terms of functionality, a pretty well-rounded package.

Last but not least, it's a nice-looking DAP that feels good in the hand. Time will tell if it feels good in the pocket too...
wink.gif

29919567326_cf1063b68a_c.jpg

Oct 1, 2016 at 1:22 PM Post #575 of 743
I have AK320 but how can i download the Tidal?

Oct 13, 2016 at 1:06 PM Post #577 of 743
I wanted upgrade my player (1.07) with new firmware but every time I do this after reboot update is starting but after a while Error appears and system goes back to old firmware. Please help:]

Oct 13, 2016 at 2:00 PM Post #578 of 743

It's no more than part of a long "unboxing checklist" and I thought more useful than to list the things that "work as intended". We can all read A&K's specifications sheet
smile.gif

Furthermore, there's no such thing as "Nit-picking" when we are dealing with an €1.8K DAP
wink.gif

beerchug.gif

p.s. Assuming the SQ passes muster (so far so good), I am overall quite pleased with A&K's efforts.

I'm a fan of Android-based Smartphones so it's nice to see a familiar UI. Implementation of SE / Balanced (so far so good - see 380 thread), WLAN & BT, direct access to storage (MTP), organization using folders (and not only music-file properties like genre, etc.) - awesome.

The fact that the 3xx AKs can be used as a ("Plug n Play") external DAC and now with a FW update, can also be used as a BitPerfect Transport means top flexibility with one device. I even thanked A&K on their FB site for the additional functionality! I'm not a Tidal user but surely A&K will provide support for this as well in the near future. I think they are well aware of the demand for it!

On top of all that, there is A&K's own expansion / utilities (DLNA - AK Connect / Cradle / Amp / Ripper). So in terms of functionality, a pretty well-rounded package.

Last but not least, it's a nice-looking DAP that feels good in the hand. Time will tell if it feels good in the pocket too...
wink.gif

29919567326_cf1063b68a_c.jpg

Funny you mentioned that...I don't usually place my unit in the pocket of my jeans but I somehow did it for the past 2 days whilst traveling...and to my surprise I don't find as uncomfortable as I thought it would.

Of course this was without the amp

Oct 13, 2016 at 2:23 PM Post #579 of 743
  I wanted upgrade my player (1.07) with new firmware but every time I do this after reboot update is starting but after a while Error appears and system goes back to old firmware. Please help:]

The 320 can't jump directly to the new firmware (1.20), AK offers a download link for 1.12. you have to install this one first then you should be able to install the newest fw.
http://iriver.com/company/notice_view.asp?sno=143&irTop=0

the update procedure is there too.
hope that fixes your problem.

Oct 13, 2016 at 4:16 PM Post #580 of 743
  The 320 can't jump directly to the new firmware (1.20), AK offers a download link for 1.12. you have to install this one first then you should be able to install the newest fw.
http://iriver.com/company/notice_view.asp?sno=143&irTop=0

the update procedure is there too.
hope that fixes your problem.

I didn't notice it won't update with fw below 1.12, Sorry. 
tongue.gif

Thanks!

Oct 14, 2016 at 5:17 PM Post #582 of 743
I saw the news about the new firmware supporting TIDAL in the morning and I was so excited
After jumping through hoops to get it all installed, I find out the main feature I need is missing. 

No Offline Storage of Albums/Tracks

Seriously Astell & Kern !! Come on !!

Oct 14, 2016 at 10:05 PM Post #583 of 743
I can see now why A&K went with Beyerdynamics for their full cans. The styling is on par with A&Ks DAPs
cool.gif

Although I did give their collaborative T1p a quick listen, I was actually after closed cans and so I went home with the T5pG2s
beyersmile.png

Now all I need to do is to figure out how to source their exclusive-for-T1p balanced cable and I will be all set
biggrin.gif

30241812741_7a1e9e08eb_c.jpg

29697508234_9eb3e87066_c.jpg

beerchug.gif

Oct 14, 2016 at 10:20 PM Post #584 of 743
I can see now why A&K went with Beyerdynamics for their full cans. The styling is on par with A&Ks DAPs :cool:
Although I did give their collaborative T1p a quick listen, I was actually after closed cans and so I went home with the T5pG2s :beyersmile:

Now all I need to do is to figure out how to source their exclusive-for-T1p balanced cable and I will be all set :D

:beerchug:

I was also looking for the AK 2.5mm TRRS cable for my Beyer T1 2gen but was not successful. If it's available as an accessory part I doubt that it will be cheap. You could be better off getting a third party to custom built one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back