The AK320 thread
Jan 21, 2016 at 4:35 AM Post #196 of 743
Thanks joshuachew - does that make the AK320 a "bargain" compared to the AK380 for those of us who have CD based collections which are ripped. It would mean paying double for the extra storage capacity of the AK380?

Well the 380 looks prettier and for some folk they might need the DSD playback.
For me, I don't need the DSD playback. I've only listened to DSD twice in my life. Testing out the Mojo for fun and when I first got the 240 just to try it out.
I've spoken to a few friends and they feel the same that there isn't a difference at all with PCM playback with both the players.

Jan 21, 2016 at 4:37 AM Post #197 of 743

I tried to reproduce the problem for 12 hours, it worked flawless. Tried it with multiple parameters: different samplerates (up to DSD64), with and without bluetooth remote, only in Album mode, etc etc
And yes, I was running 1.02

I was brave and updated. I tested also the described problem with fast track skipping, no problem. But one time after testing I had the problem. I skipped one song and thought that the album has ended but the track progress bar moved and time counts but no sound. After pause/play audio was back. Within some hours only one occurrence. So I think there is a very small issue. 

Jan 23, 2016 at 3:56 PM Post #199 of 743
Does the AK380 Amp also works with the AK320, or is a AK320 amp also available  ? 

Jan 25, 2016 at 4:48 PM Post #202 of 743
Does the AK380 Amp also works with the AK320, or is a AK320 amp also available  ? 

Works fine, but design wise the fit is not optimal... Connectors and the screw holding the player fit. A&K lists the amp as an accessory for the AK320.

Jan 27, 2016 at 10:33 AM Post #203 of 743
i have to agree with you level3 all on your observation,experience,hands on & analysis on this astell & kern AK320. the AK320 fits my my needs & bill perfect. i do not need native DSD playback but would have like the 2 micro sd external memory. ak320 don't have carbon fiber back plate,duralium body,high tech fancy italian leather case which all mentioned is in the AK380. i only need and will be very satisfied with 24bit/192kHz sample rate & 328gb storage. my upgrade from my ipod 5th gen was between astell & kern AK 320 or onkyo DP-X1,now level3 have opened my eyes to seeing my needs & upgrade which will be astell & kern AK320. placed my order for AK320 monday and now the waiting game is on. AK320 will be paired with my chord hugo & connected via silver dragon toslink form fit cable. fostex th900,alpha prime,sennheiser momentum over ear & audio technica ath50x would be cans used with AK320/chord hugo pairing. ether C upgrade by summertime.   thank you level3 for the clear vision. 
smile.gif

Jan 31, 2016 at 8:25 PM Post #205 of 743
New owner of AK320 here, I was wondering where to download the drivers for the Windows USB DAC? On the AK website only drivers for AK240 and AK380

I can connect it to my mac direct, but they are not recognized at all by windows 10, any help would be great!

Thanks

Jan 31, 2016 at 8:59 PM Post #206 of 743
New owner of AK320 here, I was wondering where to download the drivers for the Windows USB DAC? On the AK website only drivers for AK240 and AK380

I can connect it to my mac direct, but they are not recognized at all by windows 10, any help would be great!

Thanks

As a UAC 1.0 device (like the AK100ii and AK120ii) the AK320 doesn't need drivers for any OS (including Windows), as opposed to the AK240 and and AK380, which, as UAC 2.0 devices, require drivers for Windows.

Feb 3, 2016 at 12:47 AM Post #207 of 743
Anyone here using the AK320 with the AK amp?

Feb 4, 2016 at 8:54 PM Post #208 of 743
got my AK320 today, i am listening to it as i write this tread, used it as a standalone dap and then as a paired combo with my chord hugo.

here are my findings

AK320 standalone= BEST musical player i have ever heard hands down.very clear,detailed, revealing & almost balanced delivery.
treble= perfect for my ears(not too over or under emphasised)
mids=  flawlessly tuned for my taste & ears.in the middle where it should be
bass= a little bit not to my taste. needs a bit more deep weight. too neutral.

AK320 paired with chord hugo= no turning back now, WOW!!!

treble= heighten to a more desireable sweet spot.
mids= bit more forward articulated voice especially females
bass= found what i think is well balanced matched to the mids and treble.still needs about 2 more notches up tightly slammed bass

headphones used:
fostex th900 stock
alpha prime
audio-technica ath-m50x

i now have 2 hours straight listening to the gears listed above and my real liking is the fostex th900 followed very closely by alpha prime.
the AK320 & especially the chord hugo reveals a very lot of missing details in my music collection. reggae,rap,hip hop,r&b & calypso music
 is my preferred music of choice. no fatigue, no aching or weariness of listening for almost 3 hours now. 

only flaw i find in the AK320 is one micro sd card storage. i can live with 24/192, no carbon fiber on backside, no dsd64/128/256 play and the volume wheel on the AK320 versus the AK380 but
 i would certainly need more storage for future music purchase for my collection. i will be sending this unit back to the store i bought it from and upgrade to the AK380 and i am done.i have 30 days for
a no hassle return for full money back guaranteed or exchange in which i will take the latter.
AK320 storage max capacity currently 128mb internal & micro sd 200mb=328mb
AK380 storage max capacity currently 256mb internal & micro sd 200mb=456mb
eyeing the alo cdm for a change of pace in the near future to pair with my AK.
reviews on this unit seems pretty good.

just my 2 cents and all music listening enjoyment is subjective to each individual taste. let your ears be your guide for the right sound.
atsmile.gif

Feb 4, 2016 at 9:33 PM Post #209 of 743
got my AK320 today, i am listening to it as i write this tread, used it as a standalone dap and then as a paired combo with my chord hugo.

here are my findings

AK320 standalone= BEST musical player i have ever heard hands down.very clear,detailed, revealing & almost balanced delivery.
treble= perfect for my ears(not too over or under emphasised)
mids=  flawlessly tuned for my taste & ears.in the middle where it should be
bass= a little bit not to my taste. needs a bit more deep weight. too neutral.

AK320 paired with chord hugo= no turning back now, WOW!!!

treble= heighten to a more desireable sweet spot.
mids= bit more forward articulated voice especially females
bass= found what i think is well balanced matched to the mids and treble.still needs about 2 more notches up tightly slammed bass

headphones used:
fostex th900 stock
alpha prime
audio-technica ath-m50x

i now have 2 hours straight listening to the gears listed above and my real liking is the fostex th900 followed very closely by alpha prime.
the AK320 & especially the chord hugo reveals a very lot of missing details in my music collection. reggae,rap,hip hop,r&b & calypso music
 is my preferred music of choice. no fatigue, no aching or weariness of listening for almost 3 hours now. 

only flaw i find in the AK320 is one micro sd card storage. i can live with 24/192, no carbon fiber on backside, no dsd64/128/256 play and the volume wheel on the AK320 versus the AK380 but
 i would certainly need more storage for future music purchase for my collection. i will be sending this unit back to the store i bought it from and upgrade to the AK380 and i am done.i have 30 days for
a no hassle return for full money back guaranteed or exchange in which i will take the latter.
AK320 storage max capacity currently 128mb internal & micro sd 200mb=328mb
AK380 storage max capacity currently 256mb internal & micro sd 200mb x 2=656mb
eyeing the alo cdm for a change of pace in the near future to pair with my AK.
reviews on this unit seems pretty good.

just my 2 cents and all music listening enjoyment is subjective to each individual taste. let your ears be your guide for the right sound.:atsmile:  
The 380 only has one micro SD slot like the AK320

Users who are viewing this thread

Back