THE ACOUSTIC MUSIC THREAD
May 5, 2018 at 10:24 AM Post #377 of 1,111
You can tell from the look of the video, that this is one I created.

I always enjoy Chris Thile.
He's something special, as reflected in his playing, and his music.

-

-

I thought I recognised Aoife O'Donovan's voice in the background, and, sure enough, she is mentioned as a backing singer:
https://www.allmusic.com/artist/aoife-odonovan-mn0000574547
www.allmusic.com/album/thanks-for-listening-mw0003117894
https://www.allmusic.com/artist/aoife-odonovan-mn0000574547
Here she is, singing lead vocals, with Crooked Still:

May 5, 2018 at 2:16 PM Post #378 of 1,111
Last edited:
May 5, 2018 at 2:24 PM Post #379 of 1,111
Thanks, that's a nice recording; I like it.

Here's another (although less well-recorded):

I will admit that I most enjoy Aoife's vocals when they're very restrained, and breath-ey (like some of her backing on Heather Masse's album, 'Bird Song')

Anyway, with regard to the video you suggested; those strings, with that acoustic, remind me of this:

(yes, Alison Krauss did cover this track, with Brad Paisley, but, IMO, their cover version is utterly sterile and utterly misses the point of the lyrics - that's a pity, because I generally like Alison Krauss' performances).

Last edited:
May 5, 2018 at 2:29 PM Post #380 of 1,111
Incidentally, since I mentioned Heather Masse, here she is, performing with the Wailin' Jennys:

This last track is from the album '40 Days' , which is also well worth a listen.

Last edited:
May 5, 2018 at 2:34 PM Post #381 of 1,111
If you know of Aoife O'Donovan then I'm sure you know about Heather Masse and Ruth Moody (Ruth having been in The Wailin' Jennys, alongside Heather), but, just in case you haven't heard it, do check out Ruth's album 'The Garden'. It's a nice little album and very melodic.

(pop trivia: the guitarist on this track is Luke Doucet, a longtime collaborator of Sarah McLachlan's)

Last edited:
May 5, 2018 at 3:55 PM Post #386 of 1,111

Users who are viewing this thread

Back