The Absolute Sound: Top CD Players/Sources
Oct 7, 2007 at 11:13 PM Post #17 of 35
Thanks for post this vcoheda.

I'm just wondering how other readers in this thread view the list: is it the word of God from down on high? or is there lots wiggle room with many units missing? I guess I am wondering how much this list should guide one?

Oct 7, 2007 at 11:28 PM Post #18 of 35
A couple of points:

1.) Although several products are recommended within a price category, they each have vastly different strengths & weaknesses (ie. they don't sound the same).

2.) I wanna check out those MBL sources!

Oct 7, 2007 at 11:38 PM Post #19 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by wower /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for post this vcoheda.

I'm just wondering how other readers in this thread view the list: is it the word of God from down on high? or is there lots wiggle room with many units missing? I guess I am wondering how much this list should guide one?

a lot of the editors/writers for TAS have over 25 years experience in the audio industry. i think if you met any of them in person and spoke to them about audio, they would strike you as being very knowledgeable. so i'm sure there is a good basis for the inclusion of each player or source on the list. having said that, everyone has his or her own biases and personal preferences about what sounds good and how things should sound. and i am sure the people at TAS are no different. so i think these lists are interesting and made by well-informed people and just like all useful information, i will use it as one factor of many when making my own decisions.

Oct 8, 2007 at 12:08 PM Post #20 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by Asr /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just bought the entire issue for $10.
smily_headphones1.gif
(Haven't seen any local newsstands that carry TAS.)

I like how they broke everything down into those price categories, very helpful IMO. The thing that surprised me though were how old some of the components they picked are. The CX-7e is pretty old now by CDP standards. So is the Arcam FMJ CD36 - old enough I'd say it's time for Arcam to replace it. CA's 540C V2, NAD's C542, Rotel's RCD-1072, and Accuphase's DP-57 are too old to give awards to now. I don't get what TAS is doing here, are they trying to give awards to the best components of the last 5 years?

Why should any of these players be considered too 'old'? Just because something is 'new' doesn't necessarily mean it's better (turntables and tube amps come to mind).

Oct 8, 2007 at 12:51 PM Post #21 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by Shizelbs /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Its interesting to me to see Cayin on that list a couple times. As a brand/name it seems to me to be picking up steam and getting more attention.

As it should be... their products are well made, sound good, and are affordably priced.

Oct 8, 2007 at 3:44 PM Post #22 of 35
I don't consider the list to be definitive... it's more of a list of components that their editors have "liked" in the last while. If you look at one of the previous issues, they liked almost everything they reviewed in their celebration of the CD format players. Obviously, you then have to judge things by their approximate price level and wallet capacity.

Oct 9, 2007 at 5:37 PM Post #23 of 35
Where is the Cary 306 SACD on that list? I remembered that the the old 306/200 performance was on par with the G08. Wonder why they didn't include the Cary 306? Maybe they didn't review the Cary.

Oct 9, 2007 at 5:47 PM Post #24 of 35
No Arcam in the under 1000 section? I really like my CD73.

Oct 9, 2007 at 6:17 PM Post #25 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by pageman99 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
And IMO the Oppos are great values, but I don't consider their stock sound to be a whole bunch better than many other low priced players available at the big box stores.

They may be rating the oppo as a transport.

Oct 9, 2007 at 6:49 PM Post #26 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by purk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Where is the Cary 306 SACD on that list? I remembered that the the old 306/200 performance was on par with the G08. Wonder why they didn't include the Cary 306? Maybe they didn't review the Cary.

not one Cary or McIntosh player. i found that odd.

Oct 9, 2007 at 7:02 PM Post #28 of 35
it's got a cool name.
biggrin.gif

if it was called the "Linn Magic" (instead of Majik) you wouldn't like it as much. same with the Linn Akurate. the founder of Linn is Scottish, but of Austrian descent, which probably explains the unique spelling.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back