The Absolute Best-Value under $20, better than KSC75!
May 15, 2007 at 9:55 PM Post #17 of 41
I have the RadioShack Pro 35-A which uses the same driver as the KSC55 as far as I know. Overall, I like my KSC75s better although I wish they had more lower (<80 hz) bass like the RadioShacks (KSC55). However, the KSC55 has just too much bass overall (lower and upper) than what I like, hence the preference for the KSC75. I do agree that the difference is not just the tightness over the ear, the KSC55 driver appears go lower in the bass frequencies. Playing some sine tones could prove this - although I'm too lazy to try right now.

All of these headphones are wonderful for the price!

May 15, 2007 at 10:15 PM Post #18 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by dizzyorange /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have owned all of the Koss phones, and the KSC-55 has the most bass, mainly because of the extra pressure of the driver against the ears. Here's how I would rate the bass quantity for the Koss cans:

KSC-55: 10
Portapro: 7
Sportapro: 6
KSC-35: 6
KSC-50: 5
KSC-75: 4

Exactly.

It's all in the headband.

May 16, 2007 at 7:36 AM Post #20 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gurra1980 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ok, it must be a real killer headphone in such case, I have never missed any bass in my modded ksc75, maybe I should buy them? But I just got my 990 so I got to stop for now, unfortunately.

Dude, you know you want this, I love my 990 but I can't wear them big Beyers on the move you see....

I don't feel the BKH neckband being tight. At least not any more unconfortable than a iGrado neckband.

If the neckband is not for you(I guess it is head-size-dependent then), a headband mod will solve the problem, the same as the KSC75. The ball/socket sizes are the same as the KSC75.....

Or if you prefer the clips, you can put the KSC75's ear clips on the drivers, then they become like a titanium KSC35.
biggrin.gif

Or you can put the drivers onto sporta headband to make Titanium SportaPro....
evil_smiley.gif

Or maybe a Titanium PortaPro.....
evil_smiley.gif

Since they are versitile, might as well get a few, will save quite a bit on shipping per pair. For under $10 a pair (when order 3 pairs), what do yo get to lose....
very_evil_smiley.gif

May 16, 2007 at 2:41 PM Post #22 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by AudioCats /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Dude, you know you want this, I love my 990 but I can't wear them big Beyers on the move you see....

I don't feel the BKH neckband being tight. At least not any more unconfortable than a iGrado neckband.

If the neckband is not for you(I guess it is head-size-dependent then), a headband mod will solve the problem, the same as the KSC75. The ball/socket sizes are the same as the KSC75.....

Or if you prefer the clips, you can put the KSC75's ear clips on the drivers, then they become like a titanium KSC35.
biggrin.gif

Or you can put the drivers onto sporta headband to make Titanium SportaPro....
evil_smiley.gif

Or maybe a Titanium PortaPro.....
evil_smiley.gif

Since they are versitile, might as well get a few, will save quite a bit on shipping per pair. For under $10 a pair (when order 3 pairs), what do yo get to lose....
very_evil_smiley.gif

I was trying to take mine apart last night and failed. I was afraid I would break them. Is the ball socket inside the screen? It looked to me like the band is screwed in.

May 16, 2007 at 9:28 PM Post #23 of 41
the ball/socket connection is the same style as the KSC75's. Ball on driver, socket post on the inside of screen cup ( the round screen cup is held to the band using a screw.). Just pop the drivers out of the screen cup.

see the first photo in this thread.

May 16, 2007 at 11:17 PM Post #25 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by AudioCats /img/forum/go_quote.gif
the ball/socket connection is the same style as the KSC75's. Ball on driver, socket post on the inside of screen cup ( the round screen cup is held to the band using a screw.). Just pop the drivers out of the screen cup.

see the first photo in this thread.

The wire still goes through the cup. I think I'd have to destroy the cup to get the drivers out completely. Also bare wires are exposed on mine when I snap it out. They stripped a little too much insulation off.

May 16, 2007 at 11:31 PM Post #26 of 41
I dunno about this, AudioCats... boy... that's a lotta cash... How would you compare these to the K701s? howbout the HD 650? If I popped out the drivers and put 'em into a Stax Lambda but kept 'em out of the backwave, would the bass be comparable during a full moon to a bunch of Coby drivers in a kind of Bose 901 configuration mounted on a Jecklin Float? And what about Naomi??

I just ordered three. Came to $8.21 each, shipped. I figure I can't go wrong, since these drivers are so well known and so closely characterized. If I don't like 'em as-is, they can go into my UR40, or my Optimus Pro25, or...

Hey, I might just make a Bose 901 out of headphone drivers. If Grado can do it, so can I.

Thanks for the tip.

May 16, 2007 at 11:40 PM Post #27 of 41
I have no idea why they designed it so that the headband arches in before going down to the driver enclosure. Apparently Koss thinks that people would rather have have their temples crushed against hard plastic than having foam press too hard against their ears. The BKH3's were remarkably uncomfortable and spent very little time on my head since getting them. Thankfully, they cost next to nothing when ordering with my A250/A130, so little harm done there.

May 17, 2007 at 12:40 AM Post #29 of 41
wualta, since modded KSC75's are allegged to be better than the K1000, and I had just claim the BKH3/KSC55 drivers are better than the KSC75's, it is quite possible a suited-up/ tricked-out unit with BKH drivers will rival the.........errr... say, CD3000 maybe?
eek.gif
when driven from a $1800 amp that is...
wink.gif

... Or not..................
blink.gif
icon10.gif

You only ordered 3? Go back and get 7 more before they ship that order! You will need 9 just to make a surround sound helmet (3x3 each side), and keep one set just as "reference". Used motorbike helmets are dirt cheap in thrift stores, drill some big holes and mount drivers, screw the floats, helmets are tougher!
basshead.gif

put on that surround sound helmet and watch StarWar...... woooo....and you already have your helmet on when them spaceships start to collide, good move
eek.gif
wink.gif

only 9 left, better hurry ......

Users who are viewing this thread

Back