The $40,000 question
Sep 12, 2007 at 5:36 PM Post #31 of 55
I would get the Merc. I haven't driven any of them, but from just sitting in them recently, the Merc felt the most spacious. The BMW was comfortable, but just didn't look very interesting on the inside. The Lexus was very cramped, and I'm not very big - 5' 7" 120lb. It was very well equipped for its price though and the leather very supple. The Audi and the Merc felt the most solid.

Sep 13, 2007 at 1:05 AM Post #32 of 55
Of course I haven't test-driven any of these cars yet. AND I also have to deal with what the dealer has on the lot when I go to buy. I'm not paying $3000 for BMWs 'smart cruise control', the Benz dealer might only have pink 4matics and the Infiniti dealer may burn down by then.

But most people seem to think BMW is the way to go.... There are 2 dealers in the area, as opposed to 1 MB or Infiniti... so I can work them against each other over price if they both have the model I want, in the color I want, with the options I want. (I'm picky about options... I may have to order a car and wait 3 months or just buy my 2nd or 3rd choice of car).

I actually did see a new purple 328xi on the highway. I can't believe somebody saw that and said "Wow, a purple beemer. I simply must have it...here take my money." Maybe the Joker bought it or something.....

Sep 13, 2007 at 1:20 AM Post #33 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rock&Roll Ninja /img/forum/go_quote.gif
M3 isn't AWD. A new one is expected to be $60,000+ and what kind of yuppie scum would I be if I bought a used car?!?!

You would then be a YUFFIE! A young urban failure!
icon10.gif

Sep 13, 2007 at 2:39 AM Post #34 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrarroyo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You would then be a YUFFIE! A young urban failure!
icon10.gif

They drive Chevy Aveos

Sep 13, 2007 at 7:47 AM Post #36 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rock&Roll Ninja /img/forum/go_quote.gif
They drive Chevy Aveos

Really? I thought they took the bus, silly me.
wink.gif

Sep 13, 2007 at 10:58 AM Post #37 of 55
Those are schoolkids

Sep 17, 2007 at 6:14 PM Post #40 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by plus_c /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Acura TL, perhaps?

The TL is a bit long in the tooth, and is pretty outclassed by both the Merc and BMW, IMO. Better driving dynamics, better looking, and since the OP seems to want a bit of a "statement" car, the Acura wouldn't quite cut it.

Sep 17, 2007 at 8:50 PM Post #42 of 55
my vote goes to Mercedes too.

I almost bought a BMW 330i last year but the following stopped me:
(1) the default 'run flat tires'. BAD design! not just expensive, but they are not readily available anywhere. Think about you get a flat somewhere on the interstate and got towed to a small town, you STUCK!
(2) the new styling, I just hate it! I had a 2005 E46 M3 and that's a beautiful car. Chris Bangle really screwed BMW. The new coupe looks much better than the sedan, a lot less 'Bangled'. But still....

In terms of sporty, trust me for daily driving you won't feel too much of difference anyway. Even worse, you get all the bad side of it: harsh ride, gas consumption, etc. but none of the good side: sharp handling, minimal body roll when turning hard at high speed. Bottom line is: WHAT can you "handle" on the freeway during commute hours??? These are my experiences with my M3.

So for your requirements, MB C300 is definitely much better deal.

Sep 18, 2007 at 3:04 AM Post #43 of 55
I'd go for the BMW. The new benz logo looks as ugly as anything, I prefer the more refined little stick up emblem from other models. Also, not sure if this is true or not but it's something that's been in my head for years now, and that is that BMWs own Mercs at the low price range, and vice versa at the higher end.

Sep 18, 2007 at 3:17 AM Post #44 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by axion /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I prefer the more refined little stick up emblem from other models.

The 2007 Benz 'Luxury' models (with 'normal' grille & hood ornament) were avail in 4matic AWD, the 'sport' models were not.

For 2008 the 300 sport is the only model with 4matic. 350 sport, 300luxury, and 350 luxury RWD only
blink.gif

Sep 18, 2007 at 3:20 AM Post #45 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by plus_c /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Acura TL, perhaps?

I briefly considered the RL (AWD remember) but 2 things...

1. with all the goodie packages the SRP quickly approaches $60,000! Thats way too much for a really nice Accord.

2. Infiniti G35x looks nicer, performes better (according to every car rag), much cheaper.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back