The 3D Printer Thread! :D
Aug 31, 2013 at 8:00 PM Post #16 of 149
Quote:

As a_recording has said, diffusers on such a small scale should not affect anything except the highest frequencies. I know you've found the foam pyramids to make a difference in the BMF mod, but I suspect this is more to do with the larger surface area for absorption rather than diffusion itself.

I typed before thinking!  LOL  I, now, recall we have had this discussion, before.

RE: larger surface area for greater absorption - Paxmate Grids, or "lattice work," works.

Aug 31, 2013 at 8:52 PM Post #17 of 149
One thing that made me start tinkering with this is that I wanted to make consistent 3D parts that would allow for easy and reversible mods. Doing things with modding material like foam and paxmate etc. can yield some amazing results but it is also somewhat labour intensive and seems to lead to some wildly inconsistent results and guesswork from a lot of builds I have seen measured. I typically see modded T50RP's going up for sale all the time seemingly for that reason - people try to mod theirs, get to a certain point, and then lose confidence. It would be nice to have an easy "pop in" solution that improves the sound quality in a consistent way.

Of course, the parts can also be a consistent base for further reversible and irreversible modifications...

Sep 1, 2013 at 8:38 PM Post #18 of 149
Yay, settled on a final design for the baffle (for now) and the new roll of black plastic I ordered came in. Time to print some prototypes for measuring!

Sep 1, 2013 at 9:18 PM Post #19 of 149
Quote:
Yay, settled on a final design for the baffle (for now) and the new roll of black plastic I ordered came in. Time to print some prototypes for measuring!

Hope they work well!  Next on to cups!  I have seen some interesting hybrid plastics for 3D printers that combine wood or metal with a polymer.  

Sep 1, 2013 at 9:49 PM Post #20 of 149
Quote:
Hope they work well!  Next on to cups!  I have seen some interesting hybrid plastics for 3D printers that combine wood or metal with a polymer.  

Aye I've seen a material called "Alumide" which is apparently nylon powder and aluminium dust. Not sure of its suitability as a non-resonant housing.

There is also laser metal sintering, which is actually a very high end process of 3D printing with lasers and metal powder. I am not sure if this has many advantages over traditional CNC milling but I assume like any additive process it makes you make very convoluted shapes as one continguous piece.

Sep 2, 2013 at 7:12 AM Post #21 of 149
Updated the baffle thread with images of the black ABS printed baffles!

Sep 2, 2013 at 4:09 PM Post #22 of 149
Brilliant job, man.  Really nice.  Would love to play around with this and adapt it to different housings.  Hope some fellow Headfiers can help you out and measure how your baffles perform.  Does the flat surface interfere with ear depth?  The stock baffle is slightly concave.

Also, do you still plan to mod the cups when used with your baffle (cotton, foam, etc.), or are you hoping the baffle does enough?

Sep 2, 2013 at 7:46 PM Post #23 of 149
Quote:
Brilliant job, man.  Really nice.  Would love to play around with this and adapt it to different housings.  Hope some fellow Headfiers can help you out and measure how your baffles perform.  Does the flat surface interfere with ear depth?  The stock baffle is slightly concave.

Also, do you still plan to mod the cups when used with your baffle (cotton, foam, etc.), or are you hoping the baffle does enough?

Thanks! I am definitely looking into getting these measured. I don't get any problem with the flat surface, but I guess it might be an issue for some because these baffles are a few mm shorter.

I am not personally planning to do mods with cotton and foam because I want to see how far you can get just replacing parts of the T50RP. A 3D printer can get consistent results but foam etc can be variable as you can tell from the measurements done on many people's DIY mods. I want to avoid the potential for channel imbalance.

That said, once the baffles are in people's hands there will be plenty of room for experimentation!

Sep 3, 2013 at 3:18 AM Post #24 of 149
Wow, just when I think that it's entirely doable to 3d print new, larger cups for Fostex, I read about Alpha Dogs. When I think that I could actually do that as well without much trouble - I see that thread. Fascinating!

Sadly I don't have enough properly free time to dive into it yet, but will keep an eye on that thread for now.  

Sep 3, 2013 at 5:07 AM Post #25 of 149
Sep 3, 2013 at 9:36 AM Post #26 of 149
I feel like 3D printing has really turned a corner in awareness and approachability in just the last several months.  I think as lay people get more familiar with 3D modeling, we are going to see and even bigger explosion.  I know that 3D modeling is what kept me from making T50RP cups last year.

Sep 11, 2013 at 12:20 AM Post #29 of 149
  Great work! Are you planning on making cups?

Very interesting thread.  The whole 3D printing is taking off across many business sectors.  To the OP, do I see "MOT" status in the future?

Yes and maybe haha!

Very busy at the moment so I haven't had much time to experiment. I'll get there eventually though.

Sep 11, 2013 at 7:09 AM Post #30 of 149
Just thought I'd mention, I read recently there's been a study done and apparently 3d printers put harmful emissions into the air, so may be best to operate them somewhere well ventilated, that is if you're not doing so already.

Stay safe, looks good.
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back