The $350-dollar Question
Apr 4, 2007 at 3:03 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 37

SwedeSound

Head-Fier
So, I returned from a modestly profitable trip to Atlantic City (thanks to a few nice Black Jacks) and an extra $350 for my headphone habit. But I am on the horn of a dilemma:

Do I:
a) invest in a pair of "real" set of audiophile headphones (I already own a pair of Senn HD595s, ER6is, and PX100s, but I realize there's a higher price point worth exploring)

-OR-

b) invest in an 80 GB iPod (considering my 30 GB/5th Gen. is getting bloated with lossless files)?

What do you guys think?

(*P.S. My wife thinks I'd be crazy to get "another" set of headphones, but wouldn't necessarily oppose the bigger iPod idea - tho probably because she would inherit my 30 GB, a big improvement over her 4gb Mini)

Apr 4, 2007 at 4:04 AM Post #2 of 37
If it was my money, I'd go for headphones. I do in fact have a 80GB iPod, but I got it over the 30GB simply for bragging rights
tongue.gif
There is no real need to be carrying around all that music. 30GB is usually enough. I would sell the HD595/C&C and then get a pair of HD580/600 plus an amp upgrade (Hornet, AE-2, etc...)
wink.gif

Apr 4, 2007 at 4:14 AM Post #4 of 37
What don't you like about your current setup and headphones?? If it's that the HD595s are a bit too laid back or you're just wondering what is out there....I would actually recommend thinking about source or amp. The HD595 isn't different enough from the HD580/600 to ditch them for the other. The 595 will scale with source and amp too. The only genre where I think teh HD600 might lead the edge over the HD595 is classical music. The HD595 works with expensive amps and sources as well. Plus, if you have an expensive setup, you'll have a hankering for getting more headphones too
biggrin.gif

Apr 4, 2007 at 4:28 AM Post #5 of 37
Get the new iPod, make your wife happy
biggrin.gif
but let her know you really wanted new cans.

...this way you can go back to Atlantic City, when you score even more she'll be OK with you blowing $500 on some awesome Darth Beyers
eggosmile.gif

Apr 4, 2007 at 6:07 AM Post #7 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by jmmtn4aj /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Personally I'd prefer a bigger iPod because I just hate having to decide what goes in and what stays out
tongue.gif

x2

When I used to have a 20gb mp3 player, it took me so long to figure out what albums I had to take out so I can put others in. But now I have a 60gb one but I already used 40gb of it already and almost none is in lossless (high bitrate mp3/wma).
eek.gif

Apr 4, 2007 at 6:51 AM Post #8 of 37
I would get a used RS-2. Honestly, you aren't going to need to go through all that music in 1 day. Much more enjoyment out of better headphones and just switching your collection every week.

Apr 4, 2007 at 6:56 AM Post #10 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by SwedeSound /img/forum/go_quote.gif
a) invest in a pair of "real" set of audiophile headphones (I already own a pair of Senn HD595s, ER6is, and PX100s, but I realize there's a higher price point worth exploring)

-OR-

b) invest in an 80 GB iPod (considering my 30 GB/5th Gen. is getting bloated with lossless files)?

I'd go for better phones. To my ears, I prefer the Nano with lineout or the imod to the 30/60/80gb ipod.

Apr 4, 2007 at 7:06 AM Post #11 of 37
Upgrade your headphones. You can swap music on and off the iPod, but the headphones will upgrade everything. I'd sell the HD-595 and find a used RS-1. Just don't let your wife listen to the RS-1; you probably won't get them back!

Apr 4, 2007 at 7:06 AM Post #12 of 37
Headphone upgrade makes the most sense, but *only* if theres something about the HD595 you are unhappy with.

Warning about Grados and sennheisers... amps that like sennheisers dont like Grados and vise-versa. I have never heard a C&C amp, and I don't think I have seen too many grado-synergy posts about it. So, IMHO you should beware of this, and be prepared for an amp addition too.

If it were me, I'd get the 80G ipod and make the wife happy, but then again thats assuming you're already happy with the HD595 / C&C amp.

Apr 4, 2007 at 8:20 AM Post #13 of 37
Go for the headphones.

What compression are you currently using? you may be able to squeeze a little more out of your 30gig. And if not, I seriously doubt you can tell the difference between insanely high bitrate lossy, like 500kbps OGG, and lossless, yet you still save quite a bit of space on each song this way.

I personally use 192kbps vbr mp3s for my rock style music and FLAC for classical. I can fit a ton of songs on my 20gb iriver without any real sacrifice in quality.

Apr 4, 2007 at 12:19 PM Post #14 of 37
I recommend the headphones!
The reason I say that is because you have a source already, so just build on that. Granted, you'll have to live with picking what songs you have to listen to beforehand...but just keep in mind, you always upgrade that down the road. The way I'd do it, which I'm in the process of right now, is getting a source (which you have), a pair of good cans, then an amp to get the most out of your high end cans. Then you can start over and upgrade things from there. New source, new cans, new amp.
FWIW, that's my process.

Apr 4, 2007 at 1:44 PM Post #15 of 37
Hey, all...

So, I've slept on my decision for at least one night, and I'm still unsure. I do like the sound I am getting from my 595s + C&C Box, but can't help wondering how much better things could sound with upgraded cans. I am leaning toward the 'phones because I can swap tunes on the iPod with relative ease, and even 30gb is more than I can listen to in a week with my schedule.

If I go the headphone route and can spend $300-$350, I am leaning toward DT 880s or a more expensive Senn model, but I am having a hard time finding the 650s for less than $499 - did Sennheiser change its pricing? It seems to reflect Grado's one-price-for-all strategy.

The trick now is picking cans that can be driven by the C&C Box (which I adore and which was a birthday gift from my wife - so I can hardly sell it - and which the manufacturers claim can drive anything with impedance up to 300 ohms).

Suggestions?

-Swede

Users who are viewing this thread

Back