The 100 Greatest Pieces of Classical Music
Sep 6, 2014 at 8:40 PM Post #61 of 67
  To me lists like these could be better if broken down into segments, such as: top 25 works for piano, orchestra, opera, etc. Or by periods of music. Making a list of all classical works combines so many centuries of musical evolution that it becomes like comparing apples and oranges. Obviously, plenty of people like doing it this way (and there's nothing wrong with that), but I'd be interested in narrower fields of comparison.

Sep 6, 2014 at 8:46 PM Post #62 of 67
  To me lists like these could be better if broken down into segments, such as: top 25 works for piano, orchestra, opera, etc. Or by periods of music. Making a list of all classical works combines so many centuries of musical evolution that it becomes like comparing apples and oranges. Obviously, plenty of people like doing it this way (and there's nothing wrong with that), but I'd be interested in narrower fields of comparison.

You have a point, the original list is quite interesting, but I do find lists with 100 great pieces on them rather daunting for my little brain!
Breaking it into subsets would make it easier for my lizard brain to process.

Sep 7, 2014 at 1:08 AM Post #63 of 67
You have a point, the original list is quite interesting, but I do find lists with 100 great pieces on them rather daunting for my little brain!
Breaking it into subsets would make it easier for my lizard brain to process.

Yes, we should try to break them down to important subsets so that the larger, wider world can appreciate classical music easier.

Bach, Beethoven, and Mozart are probably the three most influential composers alphabetically, but from that point on, it's get more difficult. I feel that Beethoven is the most important composer historically and influentially, with respect to evaluating his accomplishments as they changed musical history more than any single other person did (IMO).

Oct 16, 2014 at 10:27 PM Post #64 of 67
I would add Saint Saens Symphony #3 (the organ symphony)
Sibelius Karellia Suite
Sibelius Symphony #2

Upon further reflection:

The Sibelius Violin Concerto,
The Heifetz version on RCA is Outstanding! :D

May 12, 2016 at 1:49 AM Post #67 of 67
I don't understand how Beethoven's ninth is first and the Missa Solemnis is in the 80s. Beethoven himself called it his finest work—I think of it as coequal to the mighty ninth.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back