The 100 greatest albums of Pop Rock Soul! THE LIST
Jun 12, 2008 at 9:35 PM Post #18 of 72
eek.gif
Saturday Night Fever - at least you didn't put Rumors on the list.
biggrin.gif
It makes a lot of them.

Great list though. I haven't heard all of the albums. Some I never will hear. I own over half of them.

I've never understood the attraction of Pet Sounds. I've given it a couple of listens and it does nothing for me. A few of the songs sound OK to me.

Jun 13, 2008 at 2:08 AM Post #19 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by scompton /img/forum/go_quote.gif
eek.gif
Saturday Night Fever - at least you didn't put Rumors on the list.
biggrin.gif
It makes a lot of them.

Great list though. I haven't heard all of the albums. Some I never will hear. I own over half of them.

I've never understood the attraction of Pet Sounds. I've given it a couple of listens and it does nothing for me. A few of the songs sound OK to me.

Haha both Saturday Night Fever and Rumours are on the list

Jun 13, 2008 at 2:32 AM Post #20 of 72
Good list... and for a change I don't really think you'll take any flak for it.

But... it's a "safe" list, and for that reason I'm not all THAT impressed
biggrin.gif
part of the appeal is getting blasted for the records you think are better or worse than the classics.

Jun 13, 2008 at 2:35 AM Post #21 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by DavidMahler /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Haha both Saturday Night Fever and Rumours are on the list

I saw Saturday Night Fever. Somehow I missed Rumours.
tongue.gif

Maybe if Rumours hadn't been played to death when it came out, I'd think it's OK. I came to loath it. I didn't have a lot of LPs at the time so I listened to a lot of radio. A track must have been played every 15 minutes. After a couple of days, I never wanted to hear it again. Frampton Comes Alive is another from the same period that the same thing happened to.

Edit: At least I've never seen Frampton on anyones 100 best list.

Edit again: Partially wrong again. It's not on the original list but Night Surfer listed it.

Jun 13, 2008 at 6:58 AM Post #22 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by scompton /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I saw Saturday Night Fever. Somehow I missed Rumours.
tongue.gif

Oops, apologies David: I saw Rumours and missed Saturday Night Fever. Actually, I wonder whether both scompton and I saw our suggestions subliminally, which is why we ended up mentioning them.

Jun 13, 2008 at 8:28 AM Post #24 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kilane /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Good list... and for a change I don't really think you'll take any flak for it.

But... it's a "safe" list, and for that reason I'm not all THAT impressed
biggrin.gif
part of the appeal is getting blasted for the records you think are better or worse than the classics.

I'll be a little unsafe.

add camouflage - methods of silence,
wild swans - bringing home the ashes,
morrissey - bona drag,
depeche mode - black celebration

maybe add some slightly safer ones like suedes debut album , or pulp's different class then get rid of some beatles hehehe then you have a list i'd be happier about.

hey i'd even put scott walker's 1,2,3, and 4 above a lot on the list. too much mainstream american rock there

Jun 13, 2008 at 1:42 PM Post #25 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by donunus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
hey i'd even put scott walker's 1,2,3, and 4 above a lot on the list.

Well, I'd agree that Scott 4 deserves a place, but that means that so does Nick Drake's Five Leaves Left and quite probably Laura Nyro's New York Tendaberry. I think that the objection would be that although the albums David chose are also there on merit, they are basically there because they changed the landscape in some way. Although Scott Walker, Nick Drake and Laura Nyro have all had strong influences, they have never become regarded as anything other than niche performers.

I think that the desire to take account of influence, iconic status, sales etc. always ruins these lists, which is why the lists that I keep are always based on what I like or think is important... and to hell with rock history!

Jun 13, 2008 at 7:30 PM Post #27 of 72
Do I see "American Pie" by Don Mclean?

Jun 13, 2008 at 11:37 PM Post #28 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sordel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think that the desire to take account of influence, iconic status, sales etc. always ruins these lists

Yeah true but lists like that have been done to death. One should make a list of their own top 100
biggrin.gif

Jun 13, 2008 at 11:49 PM Post #29 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by jilgiljongiljing /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Nice list, but IMHO, you should limit the albums to 1 or 2 per band. Having several albums by the same band simply seems biased. There were several other influential bands and albums that arent in the list simply because some of the other bands/artists just took up too many spots.

You would end up with a more widely accepted and universal list if you listed fewer albums by these artists. This would make sure they are getting the credit for being great while at the same time leave room for other artists who equally deserve a spot.

I was thinking the same.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back