That night and day thing the cable skeptics fear...
Apr 5, 2008 at 7:05 PM Post #151 of 157
Quote:

Originally Posted by earwicker7 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Frankly, it's like telling a person who discovers a new type of engine coolant "But that can't work, it's a flat tire!"

That's silly. What if the person really did have a flat tire? You don't know authoritatively that the power cable really did make a difference. That's why it's important, if not absolutely essential, to make sure that causation isn't established without clear warrant. I mean, what if it really was a problem that could've been solved with a cheaper solution? Why not view the posts as an opportunity to explore other possibilities, and possibly even save money? Your post sounds awfully like you're simply trying to push an agenda (power cables make a difference) instead of engaging in true discourse with other members.

I'm not saying cables do or don't make a difference. However, there is something to be said about legitimate discourse. You assert that your problem isn't a ground loop, yet you haven't tried all of the solutions given by the members to ensure that it really isn't the case. To use your analogy, it seems much more in tune with the guy saying "look, my tire isn't flat!" without actually checking the psi of his tires with a tire-pressure-checker-tool (I have no ideas what they're called, even though I have one sitting in my garage).

Apr 5, 2008 at 7:10 PM Post #152 of 157
Quote:

Originally Posted by royalcrown /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Your post sounds awfully like you're simply trying to push an agenda (power cables make a difference) instead of engaging in true discourse with other members.

How can I? I want to talk about interference, they insist on talking about ground loops. It's silly.

I'm just going to leave this thread, it's not worth the frustration.

Apr 5, 2008 at 7:12 PM Post #153 of 157
Quote:

God, I give up. I provide pretty conclusive evidence that a power cable can indeed affect sound and instead of people saying "Wow, I didn't expect that, this is interesting!" and exploring the subject, it's the same old head in the sand response I expected. Instead of making this about what it obviously is (interference) the skeptics decide to proove that I'm wrong by telling me I have a problem I don't have. This is not a ground loop issue. Frankly, it's like telling a person who discovers a new type of engine coolant "But that can't work, it's a flat tire!"

1) You provided anecdotal evidence, (give me numbers and graphs)

that

2) A bizarre (and slight) equipment noise problem that pretty much nobody else here suffers from ......and

3) Is of unknown etiology, having dismissed several wild and untenable theories....and

4) isnt actually a problem at all at sane listening levels for anyone

can

5) For no readily apparent reason be fixed by one power cord but not by others.

Did I miss anything
wink.gif

Apr 5, 2008 at 7:14 PM Post #154 of 157
Quote:

How can I? I want to talk about interference, they insist on talking about ground loops. It's silly.

But what if they're right? It seems somewhat egotistical at the very least to assert that you KNOW it's interference and not a ground loop unless you've conclusively ruled out grounding problems in the first instance (which you haven't unless you've tried a cheater plug at the very least).

Apr 6, 2008 at 1:28 AM Post #155 of 157
OK, I just sent earwicker7 a PM explaining that my question re the cheater plug isn't trying to call it a ground issue whatsover.

Rather, it is simply to try and find where the shield on his cable is terminated.

Seems to me that if the shield is only terminated on the plug side and not the player side, EMI could be shunted away from the player. Breaking that connection via a cheater plug would isolate the shield and make it ineffective (or at least much less effective.)

I hope he sees the point.

Apr 6, 2008 at 2:19 AM Post #157 of 157
Quote:

Originally Posted by nick_charles /img/forum/go_quote.gif
1) You provided anecdotal evidence, (give me numbers and graphs)

that

2) A bizarre (and slight) equipment noise problem that pretty much nobody else here suffers from ......and

3) Is of unknown etiology, having dismissed several wild and untenable theories....and

4) isnt actually a problem at all at sane listening levels for anyone

can

5) For no readily apparent reason be fixed by one power cord but not by others.

Did I miss anything
wink.gif

cliffnotes for the entire thread imo

Users who are viewing this thread

Back